Costa Rica Destinations/Family vacation ideas?

General info and questions about your spearing and diving!

Costa Rica Destinations/Family vacation ideas?

Postby rhyne » May 12th, 2017, 9:24 am

Hey all,

My family is looking into doing a family vacation this year. My mom is turning 70, I'm turning 40 and we have some new babies in the family (mine will be a little over a year old, and my sisters will be 2-ish. They are all located on the east coast, NJ. I'm in San Diego and we're looking for something in the middle or with "fair" travel all around, sorta. The ideas that have come up so far are... Costa Rica (similar travel distance from both sides), Baja (based on my knowledge/connections to steer location), A cruise (which i'd rather not do :) ... but could still be somewhat appropriate), Lima Peru. ... we're looking for somewhere with a little something for everyone. an all-inclusive resort has come up. it'd be nice to find somewhere with local flavor and not a canned club med/resort tourist kinda vibe. my mom gets seasick so too much ocean probably isn't the best. and i'd love to go somewhere with epic spearfishing opportunities of course :)

Anyone have any ideas to toss in the bucket?
rhyne
spearo

Re: Costa Rica Destinations/Family vacation ideas?

Postby castronova » May 12th, 2017, 11:28 am

I just did Costa Rica in February this year. The spearfishing can absolutely be epic, it was for us. Plenty wahoo, big cuberas, marlin and sail's jumping everywhere. The week before us plenty big Tuna's.

If you do go there and are looking into diving go visit my post in Other States and International on who not to go with.

The scenery there is some of the most beautiful I've seen anywhere in the world. The ATV jungle tours to the waterfalls and tide pools were amazing. There are some that were probably not so rough that they would be family friendly. We went just to dive so we stayed in Jaco. I would not recommend staying there for a family. There are nearby Cities resorts on the coast close enough that you can dive and fish where we did but not stay in Jaco.
castronova
prick

Postby rhyne » May 12th, 2017, 2:36 pm

right on... thanks :)
rhyne
spearo

Postby Schwaman » May 12th, 2017, 2:43 pm

pm'd you
don't want my whole life online ;-)
Schwaman
spearo

Return to Spearfishing & Freediving