Spearfishing from the surface?

General info and questions about your spearing and diving!

Spearfishing from the surface?

Postby titanium » July 12th, 2017, 9:57 am

Sometimes while swimming, while wearing a diving mask I see alot of great shots under me, and I always think of myself, I would probably catch this fish without having to dive down.
Would this be possible? Just to clarify, by surface, I don't mean out of the water, I mean swimming normally without diving down, and ofcourse the speargun would be underwater.
Thanks.
titanium
noob

Re: Spearfishing from the surface?

Postby Kirby » July 12th, 2017, 10:25 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.

What you are describing is called 'surface shooting.' It was patented in the late 1800's by a scumbag named Bill Mac, so you're not allowed to do it (kidding here).

When on the surface, the waves will lift and lower your body, and pull you side to side. This makes aiming very difficult. In most situations where you're on the surface and the fish is within range, it is best to make at least a half of a dive, getting your upper body underwater, before squeezing the trigger. That said, when hunting certain fish (white seabass is a great example), you may only be able to take certain shots without spooking the fish from the surface. And that is just fine. Only problem is, a white seabass shot on the surface will often end up 40-60 feet down.

So yes, it is possible, sometimes necessary and usually more difficult.
Kirby
spearo

Postby titanium » July 12th, 2017, 10:32 am

Thanks a alot!
titanium
noob

Postby Bill McIntyre » July 12th, 2017, 11:07 am

I'm that scum bag that Kirby referred to, and its just not true. I do actually dive now and then. :)

But otherwise he's right. Its often harder to be accurate from the surface since waves are bouncing you around, and then when you do hit them, they often dive. Diving isn't a big problem out in open water as long as you have enough reel line or a big enough float. Yellowtail under kelp paddies are the best example in Southern California. The water may be 1000 feet deep, but there is nothing for them to tangle up in down there.

White sea bass are most often found in coastal kelp beds, so when the fish goes to the bottom in 50 or 60 feet of water, it wraps up in the kelp so you can't pull it up. You have to dive to cut it out of the kelp (or in my case get one of your young buddies to do it).

The best solution is to just shoot the fish in the spine as I did last week with this yellowtail. I'm still trying to teach Kirby how to do that.
Attachments
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Kirby » July 12th, 2017, 12:08 pm

Holy crap, Bill! What a photo! I usually tail or gut shoot my fish because I like the fight. :happysad:
Kirby
spearo

Postby dam » July 13th, 2017, 10:29 am

How did I know Bill Mac would pop up. :laughing-rollingred:

Kirby wrote:...
What you are describing is called 'surface shooting.' It was patented in the late 1800's by a scumbag named Bill Mac, so you're not allowed to do it (kidding here)...

:arms:

Kirby wrote:Holy crap, Bill! What a photo! I usually tail or gut shoot my fish because I like the fight. :happysad:

All the more testament to Bill's scum-bagged-ness. He cheats by surface shooting AND doesn't allow for a fair fight after. :rofl:

Personally, I love those gimme surface shots. You just really have to time the shot between swells and aiming at the meaty shoulder part is probably best. Don't go for the cheeky stone shot in the head. There's some weird physics involved there that tend to throw off my shots, either due to the tough skull, face plate, or some ninja dodges. I'm not sure.

BTW, nice shot, Bill! Were you aiming at the fish in front of it? :D
dam
diving god

Postby Bill McIntyre » July 13th, 2017, 10:53 am

dam wrote:How did I know Bill Mac would pop up. :laughing-rollingred:

Personally, I love those gimme surface shots. You just really have to time the shot between swells and aiming at the meaty shoulder part is probably best. Don't go for the cheeky stone shot in the head. There's some weird physics involved there that tend to throw off my shots, either due to the tough skull, face plate, or some ninja dodges. I'm not sure.

Dam is generally full of shit, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day. I've tried shooting straight down at the head and its not a good idea. Unless you get it perfectly centered, the shaft can veer off down the side of the skull.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Return to Spearfishing & Freediving