25 pound black grouper

East coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

25 pound black grouper

Postby Freeryde » May 28th, 2014, 7:32 pm

Too bad the other 75 pounds went into a giant sharks belly :mad:
Attachments
Joe Newlon
Freeryde
sea slayer

Re: 25 pound black grouper

Postby castronova » May 28th, 2014, 7:35 pm

Head weighed 41# on a cert scale. Estimated at 120.
castronova
prick

Postby Spearing Magazine » May 29th, 2014, 6:42 am

Here's what GR told me regarding the story---

Perfect shot. I was at 127 when I pulled the trigger. It basically stoned him but he quivered his nose in the bottom where the sand hits the wreck and got stuck. I had to go to the surface to get some air. I had to wait 6 min before going back to get him. When I was about 50 foot above him a monster 10 ft bull charged in an grabbed him. He had his nose in the wreck with his tail pointed towards the surface and was going crazy. At this point 2 more showed up. I drug the head to the surface and jumped in the boat with the bulls on me the whole time. Look in the water behind me you will see a ramora. Tough break but a great story with a great pick to go along with it".
Spearing Magazine
spearo

Postby dustyyoungblood » May 29th, 2014, 7:52 am

my goodness
dustyyoungblood
Sturgill spearfishing

Postby Logan » May 29th, 2014, 9:02 am

Spearing Magazine wrote:Here's what GR told me regarding the story---

Perfect shot. I was at 127 when I pulled the trigger. It basically stoned him but he quivered his nose in the bottom where the sand hits the wreck and got stuck. I had to go to the surface to get some air. I had to wait 6 min before going back to get him. When I was about 50 foot above him a monster 10 ft bull charged in an grabbed him. He had his nose in the wreck with his tail pointed towards the surface and was going crazy. At this point 2 more showed up. I drug the head to the surface and jumped in the boat with the bulls on me the whole time. Look in the water behind me you will see a ramora. Tough break but a great story with a great pick to go along with it".

Whoa...so what do you do if you don't stone it and have a holed-up 100lb+ grouper at 127+ft? That's nuts.
Logan
spearo

Postby Freeryde » May 29th, 2014, 12:13 pm

My brother went down on tanks and pulled the black out of the wreck but did not come up with it because he saw other grouper and wanted to try and shoot another one while he was down there. He ended up getting a smaller model later, but I guess he should have brought it up? That is one big fish
Attachments
Joe Newlon
Freeryde
sea slayer

Postby Bill McIntyre » May 29th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Logan wrote:

Whoa...so what do you do if you don't stone it and have a holed-up 100lb+ grouper at 127+ft? That's nuts.

Maybe for you, and certainly for me, but maybe not for GR Tarr.

After all, he is the guy who was the inspiration for the Wong GR guns. :)
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Spearing Magazine » May 29th, 2014, 12:34 pm

Logan wrote:

If you're GR you do a 6 min breath up and go get it off the bottom in 150. He pulled the trigger at 127, the bottom was 20ft from there. :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue: One of the greatest guys I know and an absolute MONSTER in the water.
Spearing Magazine
spearo

Postby North Star » May 30th, 2014, 10:17 pm

Incredible! Reminds you of what a shark could do to you if he had a mind to do so. Amazing he recovered the head without getting bit. The tax man really got his share that time.
Max

nec timor nec temeritas (neither fear nor foolhardiness.)
North Star
spearo

Postby srapp » June 8th, 2014, 9:09 pm

You FL kooks are off your rocker!
srapp
spearo

Postby Spearing Magazine » June 9th, 2014, 7:27 am

Agreed and GR is off the rocker, porch, and planet some times.
Spearing Magazine
spearo

Postby Smudge » June 14th, 2014, 10:47 am

srapp wrote:You FL kooks are off your rocker!

Oh man, you have no idea. I've been back here in FL from San Diego for about two weeks. I've only had one chance to get in the water in that time and the one and only fish I shot, a nice yellow jack, was eaten along with my slip tip, by a fucking gang of bull sharks.

It's unbelievable. Worse than anything I ever saw in Hawaii. Way worse than the 7 gills in Point Loma. Just horrible. The hook and line guys all chum/burley and the sharks just hang on the wrecks. Gangs of them. Pull the trigger and it's a dinner bell. I took a long shot at a cobia following a bull and missed. Next thing I know, I have 5-6 bulls making runs at me to see if I have a fish! I've never loaded my gun so fast. I think I will be making some PPD's next time I'm in my buddy's machine shop!!

Worst part is my old dive buddy from her did some major damage to his sinuses last year and doesn't dive anymore. Now I'm solo in the water with these goons! LOL
Smudge
spearo

Postby Spearing Magazine » June 16th, 2014, 8:56 am

Anytime you want to drive over here (Hudson) I'd be happy to take you out. Way less sharks and 200% more fish
Spearing Magazine
spearo

Postby Smudge » June 16th, 2014, 10:17 am

Careful what you wish for! LOL I've been known to take people up on their offers!
Smudge
spearo

Postby Spearing Magazine » June 17th, 2014, 12:50 pm

Smudge wrote:Careful what you wish for! LOL I've been known to take people up on their offers!

Bring it! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Spearing Magazine
spearo

Postby RyanW » July 1st, 2014, 7:13 pm

I'm dying to dive FL!!
RyanW
spearo

Postby db1 » November 1st, 2014, 8:58 am

Wow this paints a pretty clear picture of FLA diving! Nuts for sure. High stakes high reward.
db1
prick

Return to Florida