Spearos leading the fight against lion fish

East coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

Spearos leading the fight against lion fish

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 26th, 2014, 7:56 am

email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Re: Spearos leading the fight against lion fish

Postby javimahi » September 26th, 2014, 9:11 am

I know a couple guys that have been taking top spots in those keys derbies for a few years now. They take it very seriously and hopefully these events continue to grow because these fish will likely never go away. The good thing is that they are very tasty and using a pair of bandage scissors to cut a few spines off makes them harmless.

Here you can get an idea of all the small reef fish they eat from the reef:
https://www.facebook.com/REEFLionfish/photos/pb.124810934235590.-2207520000.1411750632./720821354634542/?type=3&theater
Javier
Instagram - javimahi
javimahi
polespearo

Postby Smudge » September 28th, 2014, 9:56 am

Not that I've been out much, but I haven't seen any on the local Hollywood/Dania/Ft Lauderdale reefs yet. Which is a good thing considering that a few years ago they were polluted with them.
Smudge
spearo

Postby db1 » November 1st, 2014, 9:14 am

Hey Bill, thanks for posting this. Interesting ecological problem, and awesome that spearos get some credit for being part of the solution.

On this note,

Are there any FL guys that would be willing to share some info with me about getting some lion fish? Maybe even take me out? I'd be happy to cover expenses etc... I'll be in FL next week. Long story, I'm happy to share more via PM or email/phone call... But I am working on a project regarding invasive species. We are currently focusing on Pythons in the Everglades, but I'd love to include lion fish in this first phase of the project if I could.

Any info/help would be appreciated.

PS. as an intro to the FL section, I am a SoCal freediver/spearo. Been diving for about 5yrs. Been fortunate enough to hook in with a great crew out here and learn far more than I ever could have without them. Happy to take out out of town visitors from the board, when I can. There's probably a couple guys here who can vouch for my high level of kook-ness. ;)

Thanks, and I hope someone is willing to help out.
db1
prick

Postby chris oak » November 2nd, 2014, 3:59 pm

Dylan is one of my west coast spearing buddies, he's legit and has nailed some nice seabass and yellows along our coast! Good luck when you head to Florida...YOU KOOOOOOK ;).
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby db1 » November 2nd, 2014, 8:13 pm

Haha, thanks Chris.

Also, by the way, I realized I forgot to mention where I'll be. We are set up in Homestead for the week, so Lauderdale, Miami or northern Keys would be ideal.
db1
prick

Return to Florida