Could someone post the Key West Hoo Tournament Report????

East coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

Could someone post the Key West Hoo Tournament Report????

Postby Oscar » February 2nd, 2015, 10:07 am

I understand conditions were tough and no Hoo/Ono was taken but it would be great if someone could post a report and how prizes were dispensed. Thanks.
Oscar
spearo

Re: Could someone post the Key West Hoo Tournament Report???

Postby castronova » February 3rd, 2015, 11:33 am

Oscar,

Knowing there was a chance no wahoo would be shot in the 8' seas on day 2 we discussed options of how to handle the prizes. At first we decided we would raffle off everything except the gun. The painting was an additional entry for biggest fish and we would also keep that. Both were to be used next tournament.

Since there was no winner when we told the crowd we would raffle the prizes but there was some contention as to us keeping the gun (maybe they thought I was going to use it?). The gun was going to be rolled over to next years event. We had the crowd hold tight while we discussed it and decided all prizes would have been given out if there was a winner anyways so we gave it away as well. The first drawing out of the hat was a $3,500 gun. All other prizes proceeded in order. Since only a few divers entered the big fish prize it was maintained by the tournament for the future.
castronova
prick

Postby castronova » February 3rd, 2015, 11:41 am

The tournament was on the 1/31 and 2/01

castronova
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » February 3rd, 2015, 12:59 pm

I wish I had been there. A raffle is the only way I'll ever win anything. :)
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby castronova » February 3rd, 2015, 1:02 pm

haha, it was not supposed to be a raffle. I think it would have been more appropriate to have the wahoo be the winner and carry the gun over but we didn't want a mutiny. I think our raffle was bigger than that of the Blue Wild.
castronova
prick

Postby Freeryde » February 4th, 2015, 6:02 am

I was in Florida and discussed trying to run down for the tournament but the seas were just too rough. We did go out and get a couple fish though!
Attachments
Joe Newlon
Freeryde
sea slayer

Postby castronova » February 4th, 2015, 6:55 am

Thanks Joe for kicking man when he's down!

;) Just kidding. Good for you, it was narly as hell down here. We still had an absolute blast and from the comments i'm getting, everyone is even more anxious to come back next year since we got shut out. The wahoo played hard to get and all the boys want her even worse now.
castronova
prick

Postby Smudge » February 8th, 2015, 4:32 pm

Copied from my post in the Wahoo Shootout thread:

The tournament was an absolute blast for sure. The conditions were challenging to say the least. I was pretty surprised by the number of guys who even gave it a shot on Sunday. I think I counted 8 boats with divers at the Bar Sunday and I know several others went yard looking.

I personally only saw one wahoo Saturday and got to watch it pull a Matrix move on my buddy Chad. He was well within range and the fish just rolled on its side and watched the spear pass. It was more of a weehoo anyway and neither of us thought it would have even made the minimum 15lb weight.

On Sunday we had Kevin Sakuda, Chad and myself on the boat and those two saw a fish cruise past the flashers and gave chase but couldn't close the distance. Chad took a hail Mary shot I guess and didn't even come close.

I was so busy getting my ass kicked, not to mention getting over one hell of a cold that I was actually taking naps in the water on both days! It's amazing that I don't drown. Once I get cold and a little edge of seasickness creeps in I can fall right to sleep! On Sunday I woke up from a micro-sleep only to see a little dorado staring at my sliptip line swaying in the swell. I had to put a fish on the boat so that poor little cane knife mahi met the full power of my 65" Super Mag with four bands! LOL I shot it though the mouth and it hit so hard that it was completely stunned. I was able to pull it to me and put a bend in it before it woke up! LOL Keven shot a little Kingfish on the same dive...

Absolutely cannot wait to do it again next year. Already have my boat lined up!! Thank you guys for putting on such a great tourney, fish be damned!!!
Smudge
spearo

Return to Florida