Skin Diving and Spearfishing museum

From stories about vintage gear to stories of days gone by, this is where we all came from.

Skin Diving and Spearfishing museum

Postby dustyyoungblood » December 26th, 2013, 9:00 pm

Our shop had a real treat on December 21st when Don Paul put 10 of his vintage guns on display for all to see.
While studying these artifacts visually is fantastic, the real value is the story behind each speargun. Who used it, how it was used, and why it was used and saved for decades to finally appear and speak to the next generation.

Gathering around Don's collection to listen and learn from his personal accounts and history past down to him had a real tribal feeling to it. It moved me and my partners in a lasting way. Ken Hall has always wanted to establish a spearfishing museum to document our local legends and pay homage to the heroes of our lifestyle. If nothing more, a small room to preserve the very rare relics of the Sturgill Clan and a hand full of items from up and down the coast of California.

Starting in mid 2014, we will be setting up a very small collection (6-8 spearguns) at our facility for viewing. Once we see some interest we will consider expanding it to a permanent collection upstairs.

If any of you have any interesting historical relics that you want to loan, donate, or sell, please get in contact with me. We do not have an endowment to acquire expensive items, and it's going to cost a plenty of money for proper display fixtures behind glass. But we feel the history is much to important to loose. We want it to be a place for our tribes to gather and make connections we may not have realized existed.

"The Skindiving Museum of California" Est. 2014
dustyyoungblood
Sturgill spearfishing

Re: Skin Diving and Spearfishing museum

Postby 'o cino » December 27th, 2013, 12:39 pm

Righteous cause!

I'll keep my eye's peeled for stuff from this side of the pond.
Michael Dong "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion..."
Los Pistoleros
Sportsko Ribolovno Drustvo "Umag"
Centro Pordenonese Sommozzatori
'o cino
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » December 30th, 2013, 10:09 am

Very exciting news Dustin! props to you and the Stugill/Hall company for your commitment to preserve and keep the history alive. I'm looking forward to help get it off the ground with vintage speargun catalogs and a few pieces to
loan.

All the best, Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Bill McIntyre » December 30th, 2013, 10:23 am

Several years ago Ron Mullins set up a similar museum in Huntington Beach and I contributed a Sampson speargun. Is it still open?
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Donzi Paul » December 30th, 2013, 12:01 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:Several years ago Ron Mullins set up a similar museum in Huntington Beach and I contributed a Sampson speargun. Is it still open?

No Bill, only the surfing history is there now. Ron still has the online Skindiving History site up. I know Nate and others put in a lot of work into the site years ago.

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby dustyyoungblood » January 2nd, 2014, 3:10 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:Several years ago Ron Mullins set up a similar museum in Huntington Beach and I contributed a Sampson speargun. Is it still open?

Very generous Bill. I'll be sure to knock on your door for a couple Wong's in 30 years when we add a Hybrid section to the collection.
dustyyoungblood
Sturgill spearfishing

Postby Bill McIntyre » January 2nd, 2014, 5:46 pm

dustyyoungblood wrote:

Very generous Bill. I'll be sure to knock on your door for a couple Wong's in 30 years when we add a Hybrid section to the collection.

Actually, I think I may have charged him a hundred bucks, so don't give me too much credit.

I'm afraid my Wongs are going to be available way before 30 years from now. Maybe you can get them cheap at the estate sale. :)
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby dustyyoungblood » January 2nd, 2014, 7:46 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:
dustyyoungblood wrote:

Actually, I think I may have charged him a hundred bucks, so don't give me too much credit.

I'm afraid my Wongs are going to be available way before 30 years from now. Maybe you can get them cheap at the estate sale. :)

Bill, you charged Ron for a crappy Sampson gun and you are complaining his exhibit closed? Dear Lord move on.
dustyyoungblood
Sturgill spearfishing

Postby dustyyoungblood » January 7th, 2014, 2:22 pm

The "Skindiving museum of California" Has acquired it's first piece for the permanent collection!!!!

It is an original Charlie Sturgill pipe gun, Circa 1980. The owner originally purchased it new from Charlie. We can't wait to hear some of the stories the owner has when he turns in at the shop.
You can see this used the famous Undersee mech/handle that inspired many of the spearguns the past and present.
dustyyoungblood
Sturgill spearfishing

Postby Donzi Paul » January 7th, 2014, 4:32 pm

I'll look in my bits for a SS cover for the mech pins. Those guns sure killed a lot of fish.
If I find a Charlie pipe gun I may have you might get a mate to it on me.

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby dustyyoungblood » January 7th, 2014, 6:55 pm

The owner first approached me about repairing the broken mech so that it could be operational, I advised against it and they were real excited about it being preserved for the next gen :) I just heard the owner is including a Charlie double flopper tip also.
dustyyoungblood
Sturgill spearfishing

Return to Freediving History