How I Fell in Love with Zale Perry

From stories about vintage gear to stories of days gone by, this is where we all came from.

How I Fell in Love with Zale Perry

Postby Balluga » February 24th, 2014, 5:54 pm

...It was 1959 and I was a mature 12 years old; landlocked in N/W Ohio. She was the girl next door (or, so, I fantasized)...I could only look at the pictures of her beautiful face (and, somewhat baggie diving suit) and dream of underwater adventures while watching, "Sea Hunt," with Lloyd Bridges getting all the action, underwater and above...
...Five years before, Zale had set a new World Record deep dive at Catalina. It was love at first picture...an Aqua-lung double hose regulator, a Voit tank and Zale!
...It has been 72 years since the invention of the Aqua-lung, 59 years since the picture of Zale was taken and 53 years since I hitch-hiked to California. Never got to meet Zale but, did have Lloyd Bridges' son on my boat when he was starring in the 1976 movie, "King Kong" with Jessica Lange.
...While conversing with Jeff Bridges, I mentioned how his father was responsible for me heading west into diving adventures. He smiled but, explained that his father really didn't like the diver image, as he prefered to be known for his acting ability; not his diving ability....
...My job was to ferry actors out to the big ship and provide on-water security for the non-swimming natives and actresses (I actually sat on the roof of my boat with a high-powered rifle to guard against sharks while a well-endowed stunt woman in a see thru negligee was in a raft, adrift, and shivering in the cold, wet spray they were hosing her down with).
...I finally convinced them to let me hose her down with my hot water hose setup so she wouldn't freeze to death...and, I was paid well for it!
...Anyway, I just saw a recent picture of Zale and it brought back memories of some good times on Catalina with Hollywood actors and actresses back in the day. Zale is still beautiful and for a second, I felt the same zing in the heart that I felt as a 12 year old, in love for the first time!!
...Oh well, I still have my 1956 Aqua-lung regulator, Voit tank and, of course, the picture of Zale!!
Last edited by Balluga on February 24th, 2014, 8:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Balluga
spearo

Re: How I Fell in Love with Zale Perry

Postby bluesquids » February 24th, 2014, 6:32 pm

Here you go Bob.
Attachments
bluesquids
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » February 24th, 2014, 6:48 pm

You have great taste, I have that Sports Illustrated on my dive den wall as well, met here 20 years ago at a Neptune dinner. I need to get her to sign it for me, thanks for the flash back Bob.

Cheers, Don
Attachments
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Donzi Paul » February 24th, 2014, 6:50 pm

Opps...should have taken it out of the plastic, this one I have has you name on it Bob if you don't have it.

All the best, Don
Attachments
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Oscar » February 25th, 2014, 7:48 pm

Great memories - I still have my double hose regulator, my second one, first was original single stage, this one is a double stage as I recall. Used it until mid to late 80's.
Oscar
spearo

Postby campbell » February 28th, 2014, 8:17 am

Man, you guys are salty..
campbell
spearo

Postby banados » March 1st, 2014, 12:14 am

Babe Zale Perry from the Fathomiers book.
Attachments
banados
polespearo

Return to Freediving History