Remember the Churchill all rubber fins?

From stories about vintage gear to stories of days gone by, this is where we all came from.

Remember the Churchill all rubber fins?

Postby Oscar » April 10th, 2014, 3:02 pm

Don Paul probably has a pair or two. I had forgotten about them until I found the article on page 59 of the new Hawaii Skin Diver Magazine. Mine were green now that I remember having a pair. Memory is fuzzy but they could have been my very first dive fins in the early 50's - I moved up to full foot all rubber Cressi's that I still have and actually used until early 2000 :lol:
Oscar
spearo

Re: Remember the Churchill all rubber fins?

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 10th, 2014, 4:16 pm

That's what I started with in the early 50s. Then after I was stationed in Hawaii in 1961, I switched to the "Giant UDT" model, or at least I think that was what there were called.

Those things were really hard on your legs and your feet. I wore some sort of thick solid rubber bootie. When I went through Navy Underwater Swimmer School at Pearl Harbor, they made all the students wear those fins, so I was lucky that my legs and feet were used to them.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Namor » April 10th, 2014, 9:26 pm

I grew up diving in my brothers (I would put 3 gym socks on each foot to make them snug enough not to fall off) yellow and blue churchills, but after he moved away with them, I went through a lot of pairs of used fins including the old greenies that now reside gathring dust on my wall. I have a pair of early 70s green and blue oldies in the bottom of the locker dry rotting as well

The current chiurchull slashers are my favoritebodyboarding fins and are great for non hunting snorkeling. Or underwater Judo

Jeremy
Attachments
Namor
kook

Postby Balluga » April 23rd, 2014, 12:10 pm

The green "frog fins" were made by Voit if my recall is correct...finally traded mine to Dick Jappe for his first edition of Skin Diver magazine, now framed on my wall....
Balluga
spearo

Return to Freediving History