Old farts when young with fish

From stories about vintage gear to stories of days gone by, this is where we all came from.

Old farts when young with fish

Postby Oscar » April 15th, 2014, 8:01 am

Can't find very many oold photo's from 50's & 60's but II know many of you can contribute with some old photos - Bill Mac & Don P for certain. Caveat: We speared fish in the early days that we would not take today - times were different then :angry-nono:
Attachments
Baby Sawfish taken from river
2 Jewfish, Grouper and maybe a snook?
H L Shark
Atlantic Barracuda
352 lb Jewfish
H L Shark taken where I dive for bugs
My brother with some of my bugs
Oscar
spearo

Re: Old farts when young with fish

Postby Rising_Tide » April 15th, 2014, 9:33 pm

Wow, amazing pictures! How old were you when you shot a 352 lb jewfish? You don't look old enough to drive! I would love to hear some stories to go along with those pics!
Rising_Tide
spearo

Postby Hookin » April 15th, 2014, 10:26 pm

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing more pictures. How did the saw fish tast? Must have been interesting trying to brain that one.
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby Avenues » April 16th, 2014, 3:49 am

Love the pictures, thanks for sharing.
James Grover
www.youtube.com/user/jgroverman/videos
Instagram: jgroverman
Avenues
kook

Postby Oscar » April 16th, 2014, 6:09 am

Rising_Tide wrote:Wow, amazing pictures! How old were you when you shot a 352 lb jewfish? You don't look old enough to drive! I would love to hear some stories to go along with those pics!

Thank you. Too be honest not sure how old I was. I really have very few pictures, this one was posted on my Facebook by an old diving friend. I'm guessing 15 or so. This may not be my largest Jewfish. I speared a lot of them growing up - started freediving/spearfishing in Panama around age 11 in early 50's. Our gear was primitive - oval mask, snorkel, French style Arbalete tied to 80 foot ski rope with Clorox bottle tied to the end. We took lots of "rides" and surface surfing and often losing our guns, ski rope and Clorox bottles. No wetsuits and no weight belts until I got older and heavier than needed a weight belt to go deep. I caught and sold spiny lobsters @ $.50 cents a pound to buy my gear. Think a new speargun in the Canal Zone Store was about $20.00 or around forty pounds of bugs sold. It was easy to catch 50 or more pounds of bugs - sometimes several gunny sacks full.

The small Sawfish we speared in the fresh water rivers and the big ones in the ocean. My biggest was around 18 feet speared on a sandy bottom at 70 feet. Almost got me with his saw and endd up taking me for a ride until my mask flew off and he took everything never to be seen again.

We speared lots of big Broomtail groupers, huge Snook to 50 pounds, monster Pargo's close to 100 pounds, and the elusive Corbina small cousin to your WSB a 25 lb was a really big one.

We lost lots of fish to sharks. Panama had lots of sharks in fact - only time we didn't see sharks was when viz was bad.

Thanks again for the interest. :hi5:
Oscar
spearo

Postby Oscar » April 16th, 2014, 6:19 am

Hookin wrote:Very cool. Looking forward to seeing more pictures. How did the saw fish tast? Must have been interesting trying to brain that one.

Like the big Tarpon we speared - we gave the Sawfish away or sold them to local markets. I never tried to eat them - toooooo many other good fish but we were careful to never waste fish. We always gave them away to locals when we came out of the water or sold them to local markets. This one is really small - we got them up to around 4 feet in the rivers but they got huge in the ocean. Caught many on HL too. Haven't checked in years but my older fishing buddy Jack Wagner held the World Record HL for Sawfish for a long time that he caught when we fished together. He was much older I should say he allowed me to fish with him. :)

During spear fishing tournaments when tons of fish - many huge Jewfish taken - all fish went to numerous orphanages.

Ha ha - we didn't carry knives so we didn't know what braining was :laughing-rollingred:

We speared and fought fish up until we boated them then dispatched them with a bully.

The real problem was getting the really big fish into the boat.

Thanks for your interest.
Oscar
spearo

Postby Oscar » April 16th, 2014, 7:08 am

Did want to note that at least two of your active members, Bill Mac and Don "Donzi" Paul and probably several others - have lots and lots of more experience and stories. Bill started around same time as me and maybe sooner. Don is quite a bit younger, a young pup in fact, but Don got to live and dive places we can only dream about with stories and photos, not to mention a great collection, to go with the stories. Need to get them and others to tell and show us how it was in the early days in other locations :bow-blue:

Don still waiting for the photos of the Polynesian female divers nekid :confusion-shrug:
Oscar
spearo

Postby Namor » April 18th, 2014, 11:14 pm

That is really interesting, thanks for sharing your stories. Im printing this and adding it as an addendum to one of my diving books, maybe Diving Pioneers. Its great reading this kind of history and adventure, I really like this thread

Jeremy
Namor
kook

Postby davisdonnell » April 22nd, 2014, 11:28 am

Hopefully my mom doesn't find this thread.. She'll post pages and pages of retro dive pictures.. I'll see what I can come up with on my own.
davisdonnell
spearo

Postby davisdonnell » April 22nd, 2014, 11:46 am

In no particular order, here are some I was able to snag off of my mom's Facebook.

My pops with a Cortez Halibut at 12

My dad's world record barracuda:

Bonus points if someone can name this spot:

Old dragon

The whale
davisdonnell
spearo

Postby Oscar » April 23rd, 2014, 12:16 pm

Great stuff - we need more
Oscar
spearo

Postby abachar » April 23rd, 2014, 1:53 pm

All of these are great. Thanks for posting these everybody.
abachar
spearo

Postby Bowhunter » April 23rd, 2014, 5:50 pm

Looks like Bahia tortugas to me
Bowhunter
spearo

Postby Westbury » April 23rd, 2014, 7:51 pm

Love these old pics....
Thanks guys
Westbury
kook

Postby shafe » April 23rd, 2014, 9:13 pm

awesome thread. keep em coming
shafe
spearo

Postby John Hughes » May 11th, 2014, 12:28 pm

these are awesome, keep em comin!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Alex Ray » May 11th, 2014, 5:49 pm

I hope Davis' mom finds this thread
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Hookin » May 11th, 2014, 9:09 pm

davisdonnell wrote:In no particular order, here are some I was able to snag off of my mom's Facebook.

I recognize this picture. This is Kailua Kona on Ali'i drive. I have spent a lot of time on that pier. I usually fish in front of the palace for papio when I visit my family. Very cool. :)
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby Kirby » May 12th, 2014, 8:22 pm

Hookin wrote:
davisdonnell wrote:In no particular order, here are some I was able to snag off of my mom's Facebook.

I recognize this picture. This is Kailua Kona on Ali'i drive. I have spent a lot of time on that pier. I usually fish in front of the palace for papio when I visit my family. Very cool. :)

Too funny! I'm there (here) right now! And there's a rainbow!
Attachments
Kirby
spearo

Postby Hookin » May 12th, 2014, 10:37 pm

Kirby wrote:
Too funny! I'm there (here) right now! And there's a rainbow!

Nice! You have to check out Umeke's poke and Make your own roll. Both within walking distance from the pier.Awesome local food at great prices. :)
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby campbell » July 13th, 2014, 5:46 pm

[/quote]

Too funny! I'm there (here) right now! And there's a rainbow![/quote]

That's rad to see the two pictures side by side. Looks like not to much has changed, and that's the rad part. Never been there but looks awesome. Maybe some day.

To the guys posting the old pictures thanks. Really cool stuff.
campbell
spearo

Postby Balluga » July 21st, 2014, 7:50 pm

planes and camp looks like where we used to go for Neptune dives at Bahia Gonzoga...flew down a few times...the landings always scared the hell out of me...throttle flared back so plane was looking straight skyward, engine killed and a quick plop down on a rutted road....rolled a few feet forward and we were there...pilot was an old timer named Dan Burrus..he is gone now, but, I will always remember his skill as a baja pilot....
Balluga
spearo

Return to Freediving History