Blue Water Hunters film Black out scene.

From stories about vintage gear to stories of days gone by, this is where we all came from.

Blue Water Hunters film Black out scene.

Postby Donzi Paul » July 30th, 2013, 7:51 pm

One night During the filming of Blue Water Hunters on Rangiroa Atoll, the producer Laszlo Pal, cinematographer, Rick Rossenthal, Terry Mass and I sat enjoying our evening dinner.
The day had been a long one full of edgy bait induced Grey Reef shark frenzy's, one of which almost cost the head of our french safety diver, as a huge Silver Tip drilled down from above. ( another story)

Terry and I wanted to do a reenactment of a SWBO suffered by a close friend of ours where Terry saved his life. If I remember correctly Lazlo was doubtful I could do it in a cost effective way as we were burning film. I assured him I could ;
Freedive down to 90 + feet, swim back toward the surface, act a blackout/samba at 20' where my gun fires.
Sink limp, back down dropping my gun to the 98' bottom, while...... Terry spots me from the surface, then dives to me, drops my wt belt and brings my limp out of air body to the surface for a revival attempt.

'' Sure Lazslo.... I can do that in one take'' '' I don't think'' so cautions Rick, I can shoot it on scuba but I don't like the risk.

''Look...Terry and I are very deep divers, no worries mate.... I can do this'' I reply.

''How are you going to equalize on the unconscious drop toward the bottom ? you can't use your hand to pinch your nose'' asks Terry.

''Don't worry about it..I'll work it out..... I'll get a nose clip and put it under my mask....no Problem mate''.

''But do you have one ? asks Rick.....
''Sure do''.... I slide a spoon from the table and start bending the handle until it breaks off.Later back in my houch I form the soft metal into a nice little clip to wear under my mask.

I awake at 5 AM to Rick knocking at the door,'' Hey Don, bring the cool looking hand made gun for the shoot''

'' No way I'm dropping it to the bottom with all these Grey dogs to chew it up...No way, I want Double Trouble , I have a power head for the bottom shaft in my pocket if it gets edgy.''

" Look Don, I'll watch the gun after you drop it, I'll swim down and grab it as soon as the camera stops.'' '' All that pretty wood will stick out like a sore thumb buddy''.
To be Cont.....
Don Paul
Attachments
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Re: Blue Water Hunters film Black out scene.

Postby ApneaAddict » July 30th, 2013, 10:46 pm

Loving the story so far, Don. Looking forward to the next installment. I know exactly the scene you're talking about. By chance do you know if blue water hunters is available anywhere online? We have a well used copy of the DVD somewhere down in San Diego, but you've got me wanting to watch it sooner rather than later.
What's the point of a hobby if it doesn't fill your stomach?

http://www.youtube.com/user/ApneaHunter
ApneaAddict
spearo

Postby Alex Ray » July 31st, 2013, 12:07 am

Somehow I've never seen it, but it is certainly on my short list now. Waiting for the conclusion of your tale...
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Donzi Paul » July 31st, 2013, 6:50 am

ApneaAddict wrote:Loving the story so far, Don. Looking forward to the next installment. I know exactly the scene you're talking about. By chance do you know if blue water hunters is available anywhere online? We have a well used copy of the DVD somewhere down in San Diego, but you've got me wanting to watch it sooner rather than later.

I have only seen small clips as it is copyrighted, last year I had 10 dvds but they have been ''loaned''. I will try to get some more.

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Dave Freeman » July 31st, 2013, 11:21 am

I'm itching for the next scene.
Dave Freeman
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » July 31st, 2013, 12:26 pm

I need to dig out my slides and get them converted. This story needs images, plus I'm over posting....I'm already a ''spero'' ....wanted to hunt with the polespear to tune my skills..

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby chris oak » August 4th, 2013, 8:50 pm

You're killing us Don!!! Let's hear it!
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Donzi Paul » August 4th, 2013, 9:08 pm

Simmer down now. ;)
Attachments
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby dustyyoungblood » September 20th, 2013, 8:24 am

UMMMMM, On the edge of my seat now. Crap, can we Skype the rest of the story? Can't wait any longer.
dustyyoungblood
Sturgill spearfishing

Postby Andreas » September 28th, 2013, 2:46 pm

Donzi Paul wrote:I need to dig out my slides and get them converted. This story needs images, plus I'm over posting....I'm already a ''spero'' ....wanted to hunt with the polespear to tune my skills..

Cheers, Don

Dig out those slides, bring them out to the studio, and I'll scan them for you.
And I'd do a better job than Costco ;).

Let's finish this story...I want to figure out how many feet of film were burned up...I mean...you know...
Andreas
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » September 28th, 2013, 5:16 pm

abatcort wrote:
Donzi Paul wrote:I need to dig out my slides and get them converted. This story needs images, plus I'm over posting....I'm already a ''spero'' ....wanted to hunt with the polespear to tune my skills..

Cheers, Don

Dig out those slides, bring them out to the studio, and I'll scan them for you.
And I'd do a better job than Costco ;).

Let's finish this story...I want to figure out how many feet of film were burned up...I mean...you know...

Very sorry for dragging this out guys, I've been back on crutches for the last couple weeks for a back issue...when I'm hurting I crawl into a cave and lick me wounds and medicate with a wee bit of Jameson. ;)

Thanks for the offer abatcort, I'll stay in touch mate.

Cheers, Don
Attachments
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Andreas » September 28th, 2013, 9:59 pm

Very sorry for dragging this out guys, I've been back on crutches for the last couple weeks for a back issue...when I'm hurting I crawl into a cave and lick me wounds and medicate with a wee bit of Jameson. ;)

Thanks for the offer abatcort, I'll stay in touch mate.

Cheers, Don

You're recovery plan seems legit.

Hope it's a quick one.

Andreas
Andreas
spearo

Postby Rising_Tide » April 14th, 2014, 10:53 pm

How's the recovery Don? This is quite the cliffhanger!
Rising_Tide
spearo

Postby Oscar » April 15th, 2014, 5:44 am

OK we know your back is better, we know you are back diving, we heard a rumor you quit drinking and smoking cigars and dropped 25 pounds, so where is installment #'s 2 & 3 if necessary?

:greetings-wavingyellow:

:confusion-shrug:
Oscar
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » April 15th, 2014, 6:55 am

:confusion-shrug: Dog ate it.

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Oscar » April 15th, 2014, 8:34 am

Donzi Paul wrote::confusion-shrug: Dog ate it.

Cheers, Don

:angry-cussing:
:angry-cussingblack:
:owned:
:noes:
:confusion-shrug:
Oscar
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 15th, 2014, 10:45 am

I've got a copy of that video autographed by Don, and this thread reminded me to watch it again. Its 60 minutes of pure joy. You see Terry interviewing the late Jack Prodanovich and Wally Potts, Terry's record bluefin, Terry and Don in Rangiroa, etc. Watch it if you can.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby rhyne » April 15th, 2014, 11:42 am

oh man... anticipation building even though I think I've heard this story before. would love to see a copy of this video. does anyone in SD have one?... and would you be interested in showing it at an upcoming SD Freedivers monthly meeting?
rhyne
spearo

Postby Oscar » April 15th, 2014, 1:42 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:I've got a copy of that video autographed by Don, and this thread reminded me to watch it again. Its 60 minutes of pure joy. You see Terry interviewing the late Jack Prodanovich and Wally Potts, Terry's record bluefin, Terry and Don in Rangiroa, etc. Watch it if you can.

Bill is this it??

http://www.freedivestore.com/spearfishi ... s-dvd.html
Oscar
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 15th, 2014, 1:54 pm

Yep, that's it. If I didn't have it, I'd jump on it at that price.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Oscar » April 15th, 2014, 2:13 pm

Thanks - just ordered one copy
Oscar
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 15th, 2014, 3:54 pm

What a coincidence! I had given Don my entire shell collection a few weeks ago and then I learned that my son would have liked to have a few. So today Don brought them back and I did a FaceTime session with my son so he could pick out some. That was gracious of Don.

But anyway, what was timely was he was able to give me all the back stories behind the filming of Blue Water Hunters. He sure has some great stories to tell.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Donzi Paul » April 15th, 2014, 6:14 pm

I had a great time watching and listening to Bill and his lovely wife Nancy look at the specimens and recall the names and places they dove together fondly, all the while FaceTiming his son the ones they all chose. The two have really lived a life worth living.

In time....I'll finish this story, complete with more images, but right now I'm busy with health, kid, new marriage and a unfinished CRRC boat to get me offshore to the game fish and the blue.
Thanks for hanging in there guys.

All the best, Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby 32juan » April 24th, 2014, 3:04 pm

Great story so far Don!

Slightly OT, the other day I was watching "No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain" and he was in Rangiroa. He had a meal with the same guy that was in the Blue Water Hunter video. I wasn't even watching the TV when he came on, but I could hear his voice, and knew it was him instantly. I only have the VHS copy of that movie, but I will be buying the dvd shortly.
Juan-Carlos Aguilar
ISDC
32juan
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » April 24th, 2014, 5:11 pm

32juan wrote:Great story so far Don!

Slightly OT, the other day I was watching "No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain" and he was in Rangiroa. He had a meal with the same guy that was in the Blue Water Hunter video. I wasn't even watching the TV when he came on, but I could hear his voice, and knew it was him instantly. I only have the VHS copy of that movie, but I will be buying the dvd shortly.

Was it my French Tahitian friend Hugo that's talks about blacking out?

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby 32juan » April 25th, 2014, 9:39 am

Exactly Don! If you have Amazon instant video it is on season 3, episode 6, titled French Polynesia. It used to be on Netflix for free, but they removed it :(.
Juan-Carlos Aguilar
ISDC
32juan
spearo

Postby 32juan » April 25th, 2014, 9:51 am

He makes a quick appearance in this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOZPpP2 ... ata_player

The full episode has more footage of him but I cant find it for free
Juan-Carlos Aguilar
ISDC
32juan
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » April 25th, 2014, 3:08 pm

32juan wrote:He makes a quick appearance in this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOZPpP2 ... ata_player

The full episode has more footage of him but I cant find it for free

Yeah, that's Hugo in the orange hat, I need to call him and tell him he's famous again. ;)
Thanks Juan, I watch Bourdine's show alot, somehow I missed that one. Thanks for the tip on Amazon.

Cheers Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Return to Freediving History