Anyone know the story on this pic?

From stories about vintage gear to stories of days gone by, this is where we all came from.

Anyone know the story on this pic?

Postby abachar » May 31st, 2014, 11:36 am

I'm researching for a painting of a sawfish and just came across this pic. Anyone know it's background? Posed, real, somewhere in between? Dry hair probably gives it away unless she had a long boatride back and did a beach shoot.
Attachments
abachar
spearo

Re: Anyone know the story on this pic?

Postby chris oak » May 31st, 2014, 12:25 pm

That looks a lot like Valerie Taylor, I remember seeing pix of her doing the shark chain mail suit tests in the 70's.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby chris oak » May 31st, 2014, 12:26 pm

chris oak
Enforcer

Postby abachar » May 31st, 2014, 12:30 pm

Love how the pic on that link shows her in different pose with fish and "Green sawfish caught by fisherman Keith Knox." haha. I knew she looked familiar. I remember watching her when I was a kid thinking how annoying and dramatic she was. I like her wetsuit though.
abachar
spearo

Postby chris oak » May 31st, 2014, 12:33 pm

Lol I thought the same thing Amadeo. She'd fit right in reality tv nowadays. She had this theory about sharks being afraid of sea snakes so she made a suit that matched the coloration. Found out the hard way that it excited the sharks when they got extra aggressive!
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby manoamatt » June 2nd, 2014, 9:51 pm

"Anyone know it's background?"

Yeah, The guy in the background is shooting with a Mamiya C3 Professional. The absolute best twin lens reflex camera ever made, don't let anyone tell you a Rollieflex is better.

Now go click on the link in Chris's second post, then click on the photo to make it bigger. Anyone know where the handle on that speargun came from? Stanley bench plane!
manoamatt
polespearo

Location: United States of America, Hawaii, Oahu, Honolulu, Manoa

Postby Spearing Magazine » June 24th, 2014, 10:43 am

manoamatt wrote:"Anyone know it's background?"

Yeah, The guy in the background is shooting with a Mamiya C3 Professional. The absolute best twin lens reflex camera ever made, don't let anyone tell you a Rollieflex is better.

Now go click on the link in Chris's second post, then click on the photo to make it bigger. Anyone know where the handle on that speargun came from? Stanley bench plane!

AND the guy in the background needs looser shorts.
Spearing Magazine
spearo

Postby Infidel » July 10th, 2014, 8:25 pm

This is so cool. My father has a bunch of sawfish bills at his house still. Always rad to look at when I was a kid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Infidel
polespearo

Postby Balluga » July 21st, 2014, 7:40 pm

Her chain mail suit worked ok ...until a blue bit her on the hand requiring numerous stitches....fearless couple tho'....
Balluga
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » July 2nd, 2015, 6:35 am

Ron Taylor was a Aussie National spero then, just don't tell Val she has a lot of shaft overhang on that pranger, :p

Cheers, Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Return to Freediving History