Vintage Spearfishing trophy

From stories about vintage gear to stories of days gone by, this is where we all came from.

Vintage Spearfishing trophy

Postby dustyyoungblood » June 2nd, 2014, 6:33 pm

My dad located and purchased this trophy at a Swap Meet this last Sunday. I'll assume it was Long Beach at vets stadium.

Anyone have any info on this piece?

it reads:
1 ST PL
Bob Thebodeau

and that's all.

He is wearing a single tank.
the speargun is broken off.
Clearly vintage Voit Duck feet
dustyyoungblood
Sturgill spearfishing

Re: Vintage Spearfishing trophy

Postby Namor » June 3rd, 2014, 7:16 pm

I like that trophy, nice find ! I put your query to dive historian Sam Miller and got the following response

Jeremy

Re: trophy

They were very common trophies in the 1950 & 1960s and even possibly into the 1970s. I have/had a bunch of them. I removed al the plates and when my children were growing up I used the trophies as temporary awards for cleanrooms etc, so mine have gone through the wars.

I "think" they may have been made or distributed by Rogers Emblem and Trophy co in LA. They for what ever reason apparently was the local and possible national suppliers to all the dive clubs of that era. They made two models: with a tank & double hose regulator and with out a tank & double hose regulator.

I do not know or have ever heard of the winner. He could have been a member of so many clubs that were active but have long disappeared and their members are now diving on that big reef in the sky.

I do not know who the model for the trophy was. I some how suspect it was a composite of many divers of that era.

The fins are Voit "web feet" which pre-dated Bud Brown's duck feet by about 5 or more years.

The spear gun is a Cressi spring powered gun, which was introduced to the US by Gus Dela Valle while he was associated with Dick Kline of Healthways. As you know Gus and Dick Bonin purchased the infant SCUBA Pro from Healthways in 1963 .

The round weights are common to the 1950s

The knife appears to be one marketed by Healthways

The diver "appears' to be wearing an ill fitting wet suit-- As you realize the wet suit did not appear until after the Korean war In the early part of the 1950s and then only in a shorty model. It was about a year later that the full wet suit appeared, so the trophy apparently was conceived in the later portion of the 1950s--perhaps as early as 1955.

Hope this information is in some small way of assistance.

SAM"
Namor
kook

Postby mori » June 13th, 2014, 9:44 pm

I don't know who this Bob Thebodeau guy is, but the figurine on the trophy looks like the same figurines that are used (and still being used) on Long Beach Neptunes trophies. Only difference is that the current ones don't have a scuba regulator. I figure this is a real old design because the fish looks like a coelacanth.

We been using these figurines on our trophies for as long as I can remember. The only trophy shop that has these in stock that I know of is Blue Ribbon Trophy in Orange, CA.
Attachments
mori
Mori

Postby Donzi Paul » June 14th, 2014, 6:28 am

That bubble butt is fat and long gone :eusa-violin: .. our trim and fit freediver put a shaft through him when he was caught poaching our spots.

Cheers, Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby dustyyoungblood » June 23rd, 2014, 8:11 pm

mori wrote:I figure this is a real old design because the fish looks like a coelacanth.

:bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :) :)
dustyyoungblood
Sturgill spearfishing

Return to Freediving History