Book: “Bluewater Gold Rush" (2007)

From stories about vintage gear to stories of days gone by, this is where we all came from.

Book: “Bluewater Gold Rush" (2007)

Postby AJP » March 2nd, 2015, 5:39 pm

Synopsis from the back cover of the book:

An avid Santa Barbara surfer gets into sea urchin diving as a means to explore the waves of the Channel Islands. His travels take him from the harbor at Santa Barbara to the harsh waters of the North Coast, and the shark-infested Farallon Islands. This intimate snapshot follows a unique group of underwater pioneers from 1978 through 1996, chronicling the adventure, humor, and tragedy of the people involved in this fascinating way of life.

I just finished this book. It’s not the most exhilarating book on diving ever, but a good read nonetheless.

It’s a memoir of one diver’s career in the sea urchin (or uni, to be precise) business, but is primarily comprised of many short anecdotes ranging from details on diving equipment to stories of other divers and their antics. It’s a good, easy read for someone, like myself, who knew little about the business before reading the book. There are some stories of great hauls, diving accidents, island surfing, and of course, great white shark encounters. It attempts to explain the economics of the industry through its heyday; apparently, divers were making over $2,000 per day in the late 80’s and early 90’s. There are a few mentions of poaching, which is unfortunate, but at least its honest portrayal to a certain degree.

I would recommend this book to anyone who dives in California waters, whether it be freediving or SCUBA. It can be purchased on Amazon.com.
Last edited by AJP on March 6th, 2015, 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aaron P.
AJP
prick

Re: Book: “Bluewater Gold Rush" (2007)

Postby Alex Ray » March 2nd, 2015, 7:18 pm

That book is a great read. I read it back when I was research diving out at the Northern Channel Islands and certain portions of the book really hit home in terms of locations and experiences underwater. Luckily none of them were as sketchy as what pops up in that book.
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » March 2nd, 2015, 8:56 pm

I read that a few years ago and really enjoyed it.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Namor » March 2nd, 2015, 10:31 pm

I too give this book the thumbs up. Having worked at the waterfront in SB from 1986-91 off and on and having eaten at the minnow where these guys hung out made the book a cool stroll down memory lane.

ARron a few of the scenes in the book take place in your current neighborhood, like when the surly old salt spears the neighbors dog that is attacking the local kids. A real fun read for sure, that much more for guys that spent any time in SB in the 80s and 90s

Jeremy
Namor
kook

Postby Westbury » March 2nd, 2015, 10:57 pm

Great read.

Dewey, who is a prominent character in the book as the local SB urchin high liner, owns MCT Trailers off the avenue in Ventura.

He's an interesting dude. When I had my Parker, I had some trailer work done and started talking to the owner ( can't remember his real name) about free diving and such. He broke out his scrap book, and told me about the urchin boat he built.
He told me he made the author, Tom Kendrick, change his name in the book to the ficticious name of Dewey.
Westbury
kook

Postby AJP » March 3rd, 2015, 7:00 pm

Namor wrote:ARron a few of the scenes in the book take place in your current neighborhood, like when the surly old salt spears the neighbors dog that is attacking the local kids.

No wonder why the elderly neighbors get so antsy when I have my spearguns out in public. :D Jk.
Aaron P.
AJP
prick

Postby Karma Trees » March 17th, 2015, 12:56 pm

I LOVED that book! Super sick one.
Check these out if you haven't already...
I know Carlos Eyles stuff is well known but i love his books great stuff fo dayssss..

Devils Teeth : by Susan Casey
Last of the Blue by Water Hunters : Carlos Eyles
Secret Seas : by Carlos Eyles
A Dolphin's Dream : by Carlos Eyles
The Blue Edge : by Carlos Eyles
blakeschilling@gmail
Karma Trees
spearo

Postby John Hughes » March 18th, 2015, 4:02 am

I was just recommending this book to somebody over the weekend. I fished and dove the upper Channel Islands for a few years on the charter boats out of Santa Barbara after college. One or two of the names and stories came back to me when reading this book. I really enjoyed it!
John Hughes
cupcake

Return to Freediving History