Old vintage Riffe reel and speargun

From stories about vintage gear to stories of days gone by, this is where we all came from.

Old vintage Riffe reel and speargun

Postby Westbury » August 10th, 2015, 10:13 pm

I was given this old Riffe reel by a fellow who knows I like to spearfish.
Anyone know anything about it?

How about the gun?
Westbury
kook

Re: Old vintage Riffe reel and speargun

Postby phil herranen » August 10th, 2015, 11:18 pm

its one of the early riffe reels its a knock off of a prodovich reel
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 11th, 2015, 3:12 am

I have one of the reels. I removed that spring loaded thing that has to be pulled to release the spool. The only time I ever shot a black sea bass (back in the 70s when it was legal) I couldn't get to it fast enough, and the crimp was pulled of the back end of the slip tip cable before the gun was torn out of my hands.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Donzi Paul » August 11th, 2015, 9:19 pm

As the handle says it's a US Divers Sea Hunter with the small Riffe reel. It used a unique roller sear tooth. I have a mint one in my son's gun collection, almost whiskey night cap time, so I'll tell ya more about it Wed eve. The Black custom has a very long 3/8 shaft, Al Schneppershoff had a few of them as well.
Don't try pulling the reel lock when a hot 45# Yellow is heading for deep sand , it will lock and you will hit the bottom or let go of the gun.
Many guys including me, rigged the lock to release with the trigger pull linkage.The smart ones took it off, however it's great for short lining big snapper short of the cave wall if your young and dumb, however I do not recommend this as a few have died trying. :'( The Riffe Reel was developed by Jay's brother and the rights sold off back in the day.

Cheers, Don
Last edited by Donzi Paul on August 12th, 2015, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Westbury » August 12th, 2015, 6:38 am

Cool info guys!
The gun came 3 3/8 shafts like you said Don.

I thought I had found a long lost relic, but apparently they aren't so rare. It should make a good wall hanger.
Westbury
kook

Postby Donzi Paul » August 12th, 2015, 6:51 pm

The Sea Hunter Custom Model 4026 was $90.00 in 1967. It had a grooved 1.25'' black anodized 72'' barrel. The rear sear box and handle were made of high impact ABS styrene (Cycolac) A rubber butt pad was fitted to ease chest loading the 3 1/2'' bands. Most guns I've seen are missing the butt pad. I had a Sea Hunter 56'' barrel with a mahogany dowel inside for more rigidity when powered up, shaft was 9/32 17/4, mech undersea.(like Jay's) It was a cheep build I used for flattys in shallow water, later it became a great back up gun on my boat for throwing over the side. Sometime in the 90's I left it for a friend in Tahiti.

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby phil herranen » August 12th, 2015, 7:13 pm

I don't have a shadow of the collection that don has but here are mine
Attachments
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby Donzi Paul » August 12th, 2015, 7:55 pm

Those are great Phil, thanks. I never get tired seeing the vintage guns, it makes me think about all the great watermen that proceeded us...the fish they harvested and the story's they could tell.

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Return to Freediving History