Sand Dollar

From stories about vintage gear to stories of days gone by, this is where we all came from.

Sand Dollar

Postby mori » December 20th, 2015, 1:55 pm

For all you nostalgic San Dollar fans out there....

Here is an old picture of the Sand Dollar with Wally Potts and Jack Pradonovich. Picture is not dated, but this photo is probably from the 70's.

Mori
Attachments
Sand Dollar
mori
Mori

Re: Sand Dollar

Postby Donzi Paul » December 20th, 2015, 9:29 pm

Thanks Mori , I have never seen that image before. The cabin over hang is a vintage gun collectors dream.

Cheers, Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby mori » December 21st, 2015, 2:15 pm

Some of the spearguns used during that era were, Jack Pradanovich, Herb Samson, Jack Brown, Charlie Sturgill/Peter Reidel, Voit, Swim Master, In-Depth/Jim Christiansen, Scubapro, Nemrod, Tap-a-Matic SMG, Rene Cavallero, and the infamous San Diego Addict Spearguns.

All of these have gone bye-bye, and very much forgotten.
mori
Mori

Postby malibujohn » December 22nd, 2015, 7:18 am

Wow Mori, what a great picture! Just Imagine the men that have sat in that same spot. I feel honored to be among them. Awesome post, and long live the Dollar!! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
malibujohn
kook

Postby Straz » December 22nd, 2015, 9:52 am

That is an amazing picture.
Straz
spearo

Postby dariian » December 22nd, 2015, 11:34 am

Wow! Thanks for sharing.
dariian
spearo

Postby John Hughes » December 27th, 2015, 7:44 pm

I've seen that photo before somewhere. Maybe George has it on board. Thanks for posting it up Mori!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby incredible_bastard » December 27th, 2015, 8:30 pm

Wait... Voit used to make spearguns??!!!!
Incredible things happens in the ocean
incredible_bastard
polespearo

Postby mori » January 2nd, 2016, 11:25 pm

incredible_bastard wrote:Wait... Voit used to make spearguns??!!!!

Yes, they made spearguns.

I'm sure that Don Paul or Sam Miller knows the exact history. There is not much written history about it, so I'm not sure of the exact history, as I was not a diver at that time. From what I heard, the Jack Prodanovich cast handle, cast muzzle and extruded aluminum pipe design inspired the Swimmaster spearguns in the 50's, which was manufactured in Los Angeles. It later became the Voit-Swimmaster. The company later was bought by Joe Batiste LaMonica (JBL) and marketed under JBL Spearguns, which was manufactured in Orange, CA, next to Kettenhoffer Custom Wetsuits. About 10 years ago, Guy Skinner bought JBL and moved the whole operation to Oceanside, CA.

Mori
mori
Mori

Postby Bill McIntyre » January 3rd, 2016, 11:07 am

mori wrote:
incredible_bastard wrote:Wait... Voit used to make spearguns??!!!!

Yes, they made spearguns.

I'm sure that Don Paul or Sam Miller knows the exact history. There is not much written history about it, so I'm not sure of the exact history, as I was not a diver at that time. From what I heard, the Jack Prodanovich cast handle, cast muzzle and extruded aluminum pipe design inspired the Swimmaster spearguns in the 50's, which was manufactured in Los Angeles. It later became the Voit-Swimmaster. The company later was bought by Joe Batiste LaMonica (JBL) and marketed under JBL Spearguns, which was manufactured in Orange, CA, next to Kettenhoffer Custom Wetsuits. About 10 years ago, Guy Skinner bought JBL and moved the whole operation to Oceanside, CA.

Mori

That's the way I remember it. I bought a Swimmaster in 1961 at the Pearl Harbor Navy Exchange. Later the design was purchased by Voit and the guns were called Voit-Swimmaster. I kinda feel like there was one more owner before JBL, but if so I can't remember who is was.

I still have the Swimmaster, but its not in very good shape. Later I owned guns with all the other names, but I lost them or somehow they got away.
Attachments
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bill McIntyre » January 3rd, 2016, 11:21 am

I was looking at Mori's list of guns , and it reminded me that my first real gun back in the early 1950s beyond a Hawaiian sling was a Rene Cavalero. As I recall, it said Champion on one side of the handle and Rene Cavalero and on the other side. Does that sound right Mori?

The other gun I used in the early 50s was a Cressi Cernia spring gun. I've never seen one out here, but then I didn't get out here until 1965 when the Marine Corops first stationed me here.

In the first photo, my girlfriend is holding the Rene Cavalero and I'm holding the Cressi and a shaft that was bent by the cobia barely visible in the background. Notice how long that Cressi is. The front end isn't even in the photo. It was a bitch to cock.

I posted the second photo a week or so ago, but I'll post it again simply to show the Rene Cavalero gun. They didn't make reels for spearguns back then, so the reel on the gun is a Penn Senator spooled with 60 feet of heavy stainless steel cable. The reel is mounted with hose clamps. One time I shot a jewfish that took all the cable and jerked me into a piling so that I came to a stop, and reel broke off off the seat and went skipping away over the bottom. About an hour later we found the reel wedged in some concrete rubble under the bridge. I passed it through all the rubble and found the jewfish all tired out on the sand.
Attachments
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby mori » January 3rd, 2016, 6:19 pm

Here are some pics of some of the spearguns in my collection. The Double Spring/Rubber over/under speargun and the Cavallero Roller gun I have in possession as courtesy of Don Paul's collection.

The gun on the bottom is a "Marin-Nice" "The Doublette" over/under double shafted speargun made by Tryton (Made in France) The top shaft is powered by conventional rubber, and the bottom is spring propelled. (Coutesy of Don Paul)

The gun in the middle gun is a spring gun with a "Power lever". Made in Spain by "Nemrod by Seamless" You load against the spring and then the back end compresses the spring even further with a lever. (Mori's Vintage Collection)

The gun on top gun is a "Swimaster Spearfisherman Torpedo Gun" made by Swimmaster in Los Angeles. It looks like the speargun that is in young Bill McIntyre's B&W picture. (Mori's vintage Collection)

The Rene Cavalero gun is a Peche-Sport Healthways, made in Marseilles, France. This is Norbert Eberling's personal rollergun conversion he made back in the late 50's. (Courtesy of Don Paul's Speargun Collection).

The last picture shows a couple of complete Japanese "Tairyo-Go" rollerguns. These are very rare. I think I am the only one who owns two of these in "like new" condition, complete with the original slip tips. These are the earliest spearguns that I own that utilizes a slip tip. These go back to the 40's, and was patented in Osaka Japan. Roller guns have appeared in various genres, from the 40's, 50's, 60's 70's and 80's. They are, all of a sudden making a comeback these last few years. The only thing that hasn't changed about them in the last 70 years is that they are still a pain in the ass to load. (Mori's Vintage collection)

Mori

mori
Mori

Postby Donzi Paul » January 8th, 2016, 10:00 pm

[quote="mori"]

The gun in the middle gun is a spring gun with a "Power lever". Made in Spain by "Nemrod by Seamless" You load against the spring and then the back end compresses the spring even further with a lever. (Mori's Vintage Collection)

The attachment Old Spearguns.JPG is no longer available

Mori, the Nemrod in the middle is a Crucero (Dreadnaught) It was the elephant gun of Nemrod's pneumatic line of guns. It is identical to the Fragata but with it's supercharger at the rear of the handle,the air chamber can be further compressed after the spear is loaded by pulling the arm back. Power is then increased to about 30%. It was written than effective range was 30/36 feet. :confusion-shrug: At the rear is a balance bar that must be used at all times.After the shaft is loaded the supercharger is pulled back to rest upon the balance bar.After firing, the balance bar is guided back to it's original position until the shaft is again loaded.

It is a very rare gun here in the states and even Spain, I looked for 25 years to find the mint one I have in Dillon's Nemrod collection.
I missed the last Neptune meeting due to a very deep thumb wound but will be bringing you another ''loaner gun'' for you to the next.

I'll image some Nemrod parts manuals that describe the Crucero this weekend and post here...later.

All the best, Don
Attachments
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby AJP » January 8th, 2016, 11:36 pm

Thanks for the history Mori.

It's too bad that Captain George doesn't check this section, he could probably add a lot of history to this thread from what he knows.

Just from more recent times, there is the story of when a submarine surfaced next to the boat at San Clemente. I've only heard the story secondhand though.
Aaron P.
AJP
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » January 9th, 2016, 7:33 am

Don Paul is a fountainhead of information on old equipment. The problem is that I can't read much of it before I end up staring at his avatar.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Donzi Paul » January 9th, 2016, 7:54 am

Bill McIntyre wrote:Don Paul is a fountainhead of information on old equipment. The problem is that I can't read much of it before I end up staring at his avatar.

:p :p :obscene-drinkingcheers:

I woke up early to go to the shed and find the missing link Spearmaster gun I have that is the closest to Jack's gun....took one look at the ice on my windshield and abruptly hustled back inside to my fireplace and big fury cat. :D

Cheers,Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby mori » January 9th, 2016, 7:25 pm

"It is a very rare gun here in the states and even Spain, I looked for 25 years to find the mint one I have in Dillon's Nemrod collection.
I missed the last Neptune meeting due to a very deep thumb wound but will be bringing you another ''loaner gun'' for you to the next."

Didn't realize it was a pneumatic gun, nor realized it's rarity. I never loaded the thing or afraid to. The thing looks really dangerous.

Sorry to hear about your deep thumb wound. You should have come to the meeting anyways. Last year, the club supplied a whole bunch of members with surgical kits, and we would have stitched it up for you for free.
mori
Mori

Postby mori » January 9th, 2016, 7:42 pm

While we are on the subject of Vintage Spearguns.. Here is another speargun from my collection.

Don Paul .. do you know anything about the history of this thing? It looks like something out of a GhostBuster movie.

It looks like it uses either compressed air or CO2. There is no name or inscription on it. I need to make a shaft and tip for it.

Mori

mori
Mori

Postby Donzi Paul » January 10th, 2016, 10:48 am

Mori, I have no clue as to the maker of that last green gun, I need to come see your new shop. :obscene-drinkingcheers: :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Re: Swimaster and Nemrod

Postby Donzi Paul » January 10th, 2016, 8:00 pm

Here is my Swimaster parts gun that is a sort of clone off Jack's early one piece trigger guns, even has the twin line drop pins. My real nice one is boxed up, this one is missing the but extension.

Cheers, Don
Attachments
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Re: Nemrod

Postby Donzi Paul » January 10th, 2016, 8:05 pm

Here is Nemrod owner kit and Parts book.

Cheers, Don
Attachments
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby mori » January 10th, 2016, 11:17 pm

Donzi Paul wrote:Mori, I have no clue as to the maker of that last green gun, I need to come see your new shop. :obscene-drinkingcheers: :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Cheers, Don

I'm actually surprised I could stump you on what that was. I figured you would know. I'm pretty sure it was a production speargun, as it looks like someone spent good money on making the pattern for the cast handle.

You probably know about this one. It is a Nemrod Mariner. Personally, I'd call it a RPG. Looks like one.

Mori

mori
Mori

Postby dustyyoungblood » January 26th, 2016, 9:40 pm

If you guys have not come to STURGILL and asked to go upstairs to see the "Museum", it's worth the price of admission (FREE) A couple of really unique guns on display from Don's collection, and a handful of other vintage guns our friends have dropped of for safe keeping :)
dustyyoungblood
Sturgill spearfishing

Return to Freediving History