Etiquette/Ethics/Laws

Off-topic conversations, cool videos and news stories. We ask that you keep politics/religion and bickering OUT of this section.

Etiquette/Ethics/Laws

Postby NaClAddict » October 12th, 2020, 8:18 am

If you grab bugs before 0600 on opener you are a poacher. If you knowingly stuff more than 7 bugs into your bag, you’re a poacher. If you put short bugs into your bag to measure later, you are a poacher.

I know there are a lot of cavalier cowboys who feel their expensive boats, buddies bad luck, or whatever entitles them to break the rules. There are no “boat limits” for divers. Stuffing bugs into a bag to measure later leads to stress and physical damage. As Sportsmen we need to be conservation minded. I know several people who had to unload last years catch for opener. It’s fine to gift seafood, and I lose some stuff in the chest freezer at times also. Just think though, why not let it breed and catch it this year? Or gift it when fresh.

I passed on a solid 6 lb female yesterday. Grabbed her, saw the swimmerets and let her go. No need to stoke my ego with a pic. If you get a trophy and want to eat or photograph it, that’s great. Take care of the resource while you do it is all. Turn bugs upside down and shake the air out.

I’m starting an online petition.

1) Kook limit=whatever Chris catches. He’s a kook.

2) 6 bugs=Sportsman limit. (Still room for a trophy)

3) 7=legal limit (if it’s Oak refer to rule #1).
NaClAddict
kook

Re: Etiquette/Ethics/Laws

Postby grometito » October 12th, 2020, 9:13 am

Definitely trying to take as needed this season as opposed to loading up. I have heard in Hawaii it’s common practice to leave females, not sure if it’s law or just unwritten/local. What do you mean by shaking them upside down? Is this if you pull em out of the water to check and then release?
grometito
polespearo

Postby NaClAddict » October 12th, 2020, 2:53 pm

No laws against taking females here. Some people leave them, some don’t. My last dive my neighbor took about a 7-8 lb female. He normally doesn’t take females. He felt a little guilty keeping it but he really wanted to show his kids. He asked me if he should throw it back. I told him to eat it. I don’t care what you do if it’s legal. An extra big thumbs up to anyone who is mindful of conservation while harvesting.

Grometito, the shaking thing is to get air bubbles out of the carapace. ChrOak‘er can chime in on it more. I got lit up on weirdboard for mentioning it. Basically, air retained in the carapace can cause necrosis and slow death.
NaClAddict
kook

Postby dam » October 13th, 2020, 9:17 am

I've always referred to 6 as a kook's limit but I'm okay with expanding it to cover Oak in all cases as well. As long as people obey the written laws, it's fine. I do support releasing berried or plastered bugs. Lately, if I think a bug is borderline or if it's a low percentage grab, I don't even make the attempt for fear of injuring it. It might explain my ever decreasing self confidence, too... :'(
dam
diving god

Postby chris oak » October 13th, 2020, 10:20 am

Yah the one good thing after you've been bugging a while is you know if a bug is legal before you grab or for sure when you get your hand on that carapace. The only time that doesn't ring true is when I've been searching for an hour and see a clicker, then I will grab and measure/release and be like "wtf that looked legal for sure".

I never see berried bugs and wouldn't take those, I do see plastered ones and consider those fair game as almost all females are plastered by early march. For those of you who are wondering, plastered are the females with the white gum looking stuff by their last legs. It's a sperm packet that they break open to fertilize the eggs once they have them on their swimmerettes. If you are wondering the difference between plastered bugs and those with eggs, there is no difference. All plastered bugs will have eggs. But then you will have no where to draw a line, because all males will plaster females and that means you have to stop lobstering all together.

I've seen many short bugs with eggs come up in scientific surveys, it's pretty crazy. If DFW wants to do something to help the bug population they should ban the new nets with the modified raised cones, the bugs get in there and don't really get out. Their studies show that the population isn't decreasing IMO because the coding on the bug card does not reflect depth. Hoopers start shallow in early season and keep moving deeper and deeper as the bugs decline. They can have 10 hoops per boat and I see pix of hoops loaded with bugs with 4 guys limiting out in under an hour. Getting bugs on breathhold routinely requires a degree of skill and luck.

We used to see a lot of bugs in the shallows (less than 20 feet) 10 years ago. Now when my friends suggest it I just laugh, it's not even worth it unless you are dropping hoops in the deep water there which you will see plenty of during lobster season.
Attachments
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby dam » October 13th, 2020, 10:28 am

chris oak wrote:The only time that doesn't ring true is when I've been searching for an hour and see a clicker, then I will grab and measure/release and be like "wtf that looked legal for sure".

LOL, that's me to a t.
dam
diving god

Postby chris oak » October 13th, 2020, 10:33 am

I've heard of dfw guys being really hard on clickers sometimes, so now I won't even keep them unless they are a full few mms over, where it is impossible for the gauge to fit over the carapace.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby grometito » October 13th, 2020, 12:31 pm

Do you guys take or leave soft bugs that just molted? I had one that was straight up goo last week, let em go. They seem pretty vulnerable in that state though
grometito
polespearo

Postby chris oak » October 13th, 2020, 12:46 pm

I take them if they are way above legal, otherwise they are hard to measure. I keep thinking I should cook them like soft shelled crab, because it is super hard to get the meat out of them because there is no shell that comes off.

BTW most of the time you'll find those after a new or full moon, for whatever reason a lot of crustaceans shed their skeletons around that time.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby NaClAddict » October 14th, 2020, 3:13 pm

dam wrote:I've always referred to 6 as a kook's limit but I'm okay with expanding it to cover Oak in all cases as well. As long as people obey the written laws, it's fine. I do support releasing berried or plastered bugs. Lately, if I think a bug is borderline or if it's a low percentage grab, I don't even make the attempt for fear of injuring it. It might explain my ever decreasing self confidence, too... :'(

Look tribe, cold blooded murderer, thinks conservation.
NaClAddict
kook

Postby NaClAddict » October 14th, 2020, 3:25 pm

The term clicker is misleading. Usually used to describe a legal bug when the gauge slides over the back of the carapace when braced between the eye horns. If measuring a bug this way and you get a clicker, you must be able to snug the gauge up so there is no play back and forth. If it still clicks, let ‘er flip...away. Watch out, bugs do that weird eye shell thing and you can get a false snug. That’s why I do a second measure on shore or boat measure. No need to bag if it’s short. Measuring barely takes time, illegal to bag a short anyway.

On my last dive I got a gentleman’s limit and let a big girl walk. I knew my partner was going to be short and could have filled his limit. I didn’t, it’s illegal. I gifted him two when we got home. Even though we never could have been caught, conservation begins with following the law.
I always pool my catch, my buddies usually do too. If someone doesn’t feel like sharing, no hard feelings.
NaClAddict
kook

Return to Sitting Topside