Dont mess with swordfish

Off-topic conversations, cool videos and news stories. We ask that you keep politics/religion and bickering OUT of this section.

Dont mess with swordfish

Postby chris oak » November 2nd, 2020, 8:14 am

It's against the law to spear them in california, but even so I don't think I'd ever take a chance to spear any.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/27/science/swordfish-stabbing-sharks.html
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: Dont mess with swordfish

Postby Bill McIntyre » November 2nd, 2020, 3:38 pm

Id never try it even if it were legal. Wasn't a 70 pounder who killed the guy in the harbor at Kona?
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bill McIntyre » November 2nd, 2020, 3:42 pm

email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby dam » November 2nd, 2020, 4:20 pm

Jesus, 1 dead shark might have been an accident. 6 with the same murder weapon? They're out for blood. That one photo in the article is amazing.
dam
prick

Postby chris oak » November 2nd, 2020, 11:06 pm

There's video that I'm sure you guys have seen where they attacked deep divers and diving bells. But there's a gnarly video where the swordfish gets pissed and attacks a camera too, let me see if I can find it.

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNo58uxUh0U
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Behslayer » November 3rd, 2020, 10:58 am

I've heard of guys Spearing them in the End Game after long (4hr) battles on Rod and Reel in the North East. Still seems dangerous. Swords have a long history of attacking boats. They seem to have a different disposition than Marlin. What happened in Honokahau Harbor in Kona was a Freak Accident. The fact that a Swordfish was swimming in the Harbor to begin with.. Randy Llanes was one of the most experienced fishing Captains on the Island and from a Family of Captains. When he saw the Swordfish swimming on the surface in the harbor he grabbed a Speargun, jumped in the harbor, and infront of his son and family, shot the fish. The fish took off, wrapped a piling and then as it swam in a high speed arc around the piling, wound up impaling Randy, who died immediately.
Behslayer
sea sniper

Return to Sitting Topside