Moving out of California

Off-topic conversations, cool videos and news stories. We ask that you keep politics/religion and bickering OUT of this section.

Moving out of California

Postby chris oak » March 28th, 2021, 10:10 am

For those of you who left California, what state did you choose and how do you like it? If I move it won't be for a while but I'm looking at retirement places that aren't as expensive.

I'm eyeing TN, SC, FL, AZ and TX right now. I don't want to get into any discussions on politics, I'm looking for strictly ideas. My neighbor moved to Savannah Georgia and he loves it, had a big custom house built right by a river and his kids go fishing in it for panfish all the time. More than likely I already know this will curtail my spearfishing time, but eventually I'm going to be too old to climb up and down cliffs or dodge waves on shore entries.
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: Moving out of California

Postby Bill McIntyre » March 28th, 2021, 12:04 pm

You have a boat. You don’t have to climb up and down cliffs. I haven’t done a shore dive in over 20 years.

I’ve lived in some of places you mentioned. The weather sucks and the insects bite.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Kirby » March 28th, 2021, 12:37 pm

Kia Orana Chris - Five years ago I moved to Rarotonga, Cook Islands and I like it a lot.

The weather is most often pleasant, though the insects do bite. :D
Attachments
Kirby
spearo

Postby Steve G » March 28th, 2021, 8:12 pm

If you're going for retirement, keep in mind that you'll want suitable access to medical services as you age.
Steve G
sea sniper

Postby chris oak » March 28th, 2021, 8:58 pm

Steve G wrote:If you're going for retirement, keep in mind that you'll want suitable access to medical services as you age.

A definite important part of retirement for sure. My work will cover me after retirement until I'm able to get medicare so I'm not too worried about that unless I move out of the US which isn't likely to happen.

I'm not worried about the bugs although my wife would differ on that lol. Weather is a concern, I definitely don't want to live where there's too much snow.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Steve G » March 30th, 2021, 10:16 am

I wasn't so much referring to the cost as the proximity to medical facilities.

Some of the smaller town's I've considered aren't big enough for local medical facilities. This may or may not be an issue for you.
Steve G
sea sniper

Postby chris oak » March 30th, 2021, 5:17 pm

Steve G wrote:I wasn't so much referring to the cost as the proximity to medical facilities.

Some of the smaller town's I've considered aren't big enough for local medical facilities. This may or may not be an issue for you.

Ah I see what you are saying Steve. I am so far from the move that I haven't even started visiting places yet but wanted to be somewhat closer to bigger cities. What states are you considering? With your hunting background you sure will have a lot to choose from.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Steve G » March 31st, 2021, 7:24 am

Wyoming primarily maybe Utah. The hunting is a draw for me, but unlike spearfishing, the hunting seasons generally only last for a couple weeks each. Hook and line fishing on the other hand presents a much longer season, so I hope to go someplace with limited snow, and lots of open water year round.
Steve G
sea sniper

Postby dctrjayyy » April 2nd, 2021, 7:43 am

two of my dive buddies moved to texas about 18 months ago. One has an estate and the other lives waterfront. they hate it and miss CA.

i think the same thing but the only place i could stomach moving int he US is Hawaii and that has its own problems.
dctrjayyy
spearo

Postby NaClAddict » April 4th, 2021, 7:21 am

Better do it soon. If Hawk gets into the SoCal scene, he will stay, have a kid, you’ll move back, housing will have appreciated way faster here than retirement land, and you’ll live far inland to be near your grand kids. Or substitute kids for health; proper modern care may be hrs or more of driving to get to in some regions, especially abroad.

The folks who administrate county retirement tell me 80% are back in 5 yrs. That number continues to grow over time. I advise you not to sell. Rent on both ends. You have 2 yrs tax shelter to decide you love an area enough to buy. Longer depending on how law abiding you aren’t. I see most of my folks and in law’s friends who move out of state go through the cycle above.
NaClAddict
sea sniper

Postby Behslayer » April 21st, 2021, 12:03 pm

I was thinking about this a bit for you.

The downsides of Hawaii Island is that it is expensive to get a house, the can be educational challenges, if you need any serious medical attention you may need to go to another island. It's far from relatives who live on mainland.

There is a place here called NELHA. You could look into that. With your background you could probably find employment there.

The only way to get any kind of deal on a house here is to build a simple one and be very hands on in the building process. Other than that everything is Old and overpriced. Even then it can be expensive depending on the cost of the land.

But other than the House or Rent, cost of living isn't very different from other places I've lived. Also we spend very little on Groceries.. I guess if you want to come here and drink a gallon of milk every day, but my friends who do that own cows. I don't drive very far, spend little on gas. This includes boating.. only need to go 3 miles to get to the Tuna Grounds. I guess some people get Island fever, but I still haven't been to 90% of this island and just barely make it through each day with the kids. Ofcourse there are some downsides like every where. the biggest challenge for us will be schooling, the Public Junior High and High Schools you need to make sure your kids are on the right track and be involved. There are private and Charter school options.

One thing my wife loves about this place is that Hawaii is Asian. Her words. And it is. 70% of the people in Hawaii are Asian. 15% are Native Hawaiian. 15% are White. She feels very at home here. Something I never really thought much about. I've been in the majority growing up in USA, but also in the minority living in the Village in Indonesia for 20+ years.

The way it works is if you can work and your wife can work.. it is a big step. It is a cultural change. Some people it doesn't work out. We are pretty happy. It would be tough to go back to dreadful winters and big population centers.
Behslayer
sea sniper

Postby Behslayer » April 23rd, 2021, 12:19 am

One of the upsides to you moving to Hawaii Island is the shorediving access to Bluewater fish. These pictures are from the past few days. (The Sash was from tonight and Dang it was Good.) My buddy Benzo whacked this 60# Ono while shorediving for snapper. Then yesterday my buddy Alex DaHamma Matsuyama cracked this nice Shibi just right off the beach. So things like Milk are more expensive, but you don't need a boat, or if you do have a boat, you can get away with a tiny one. Guys are out battling Marlins on 13' Livingstons.
Attachments
Behslayer
sea sniper

Return to Sitting Topside