Beeroholics

Off-topic conversations, cool videos and news stories. We ask that you keep politics/religion and bickering OUT of this section.

Beeroholics

Postby Turtle » April 15th, 2014, 9:17 am

So there was a wine thread and a Whiskey Thread. Any beer drinkers out there? Specifically, craft beer.
Hteik

Dam: "Biiiiitch! 10% of your posts is talking about beers. The rest is talking shit on me
Turtle
kook

Re: Beeroholics

Postby SpearShimi » April 15th, 2014, 9:18 am

BINGO :obscene-drinkingcheers:
SpearShimi
spearo

Postby Turtle » April 15th, 2014, 9:27 am

SpearShimi wrote:BINGO :obscene-drinkingcheers:

What are your favorites? I've mostly stuck to IPAs like Enjoy by from Stone...Pliny the Elder from Russian River...Started drinking this lighter cream soda flavored one from Mother Earth Brewery in SD recently called Cali Creamin. Had some Goose Island stouts recently that were phenomenal.
Hteik

Dam: "Biiiiitch! 10% of your posts is talking about beers. The rest is talking shit on me
Turtle
kook

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 15th, 2014, 9:28 am

The two beers that are always in my fridge are Lagunitas IPA and Pilzner Urquel, but I'm open to a lot of other IPAs. I'd drink more Pliney the Elder if it wasn't so hard to get.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Turtle » April 15th, 2014, 9:36 am

Bill McIntyre wrote:The two beers that are always in my fridge are Lagunitas IPA and Pilzner Urquel, but I'm open to a lot of other IPAs. I'd drink more Pliney the Elder if it wasn't so hard to get.

Solid choices. I have a couple spots that I pick up the elder from on a regular basis. Was hoping to try the younger this past season but it was such a pain in the ass. I would have had to take an afternoon off work or something just to get a glass of beer.
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby Jeff B » April 15th, 2014, 10:23 am

Damn, I was just thinking about starting a beer thread. Beat me to it =)

The back gate of my place opens up into the parking lot of a liquor store. It's noisy late at night, but the bottle selection there more than makes up for it.

Hands down my favorite brewery is Ballast Point, and not just because their beers have fish/nautical names :lol: Sculpin has historically been my favorite IPA but it's too damn expensive to drink regularly. Lately I've been drinking a lot of their Fathom India Pale Lager, which is fantastic. They also have a new pale ale called Grunion that I've only seen at their tasting rooms so far. On rainy days and when I don't need to leave the house I go for Tongue Buckler (a great hoppy, dry imperial red) or Victory at Sea.

Next on my list is possibly Alesmith, since I can't find Alpine in bottles consistently anymore. I really, really like My Bloody Valentine (another red), and they make Yule Smith seasonally twice a year - as an imperial IPA in the summer, and a double red in the winter. In the winter they also usually have several different variations of Speedway stout on tap at the brewery.

My go-to value IPA is probably Racer 5, and the bar down the street usually has a pitcher deal for Coronado's Islander IPA. Hess makes lots of great beers too but they're much harder to find outside SD.

Ok gotta stop before I write a novel. One last recommendation - if you like Pliny the Elder, try it side by side with Pliny the Younger. The Younger is only available at the brewery one weekend a year coinciding with SF Beer Week, and they ship out a few kegs to select beer bars. It's the triple version of Elder, but it is more balanced and well-rounded than most regular IPAs. Due to the hype and limited availability I don't think you need to stand in line for 3 hours at the brewery to fill a growler every year, but it's worth trying at least once.
- Jeff Barr
Jeff B
spearo

Postby bluesquids » April 15th, 2014, 11:37 am

I haven't met a beer I didn't like! haha

That being said...I don't give my money to Stone Brewing anymore after they supported the MLPA. The GM there tried to have his secretary do damage control until the backlash started getting out of hand and then he did a press release which sounded like they were all fine and dandy and it was just a big misunderstanding.
However, when he was featured on the cover of SD home and garden......his true vegan hippy philosophies were exposed to me in the interview.

I support Ballast Point. They have a Fishing team. Members of which went to MLPA meetings. Spearo Paul Elder does all the Art for their labels.

Cheapest place I have found Sculpin is at Rite Aide $9.99
Budget IPA...Trader Joes Mission brewery
Thirst Quencher...Reg. Coors with splash of Clamato
Place down the street from me has an extensive beer selection,
Slowly making my way down their menu.
http://www.pressboxsportslounge.com
They do beer pairing dinners monthly too....
Where the brewer comes out with special offerings.
Last edited by bluesquids on April 15th, 2014, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluesquids
spearo

Postby Nate Baker » April 15th, 2014, 11:42 am

As of a couple of years ago there was a hole-in-the-wall liquor store on PCH in Leucadia with a pretty fun craft beer selection. Anybody know what it's called and if it's still there?
Nate Baker
kook

Postby bluesquids » April 15th, 2014, 11:57 am

Nate Baker wrote:As of a couple of years ago there was a hole-in-the-wall liquor store on PCH in Leucadia with a pretty fun craft beer selection. Anybody know what it's called and if it's still there?

Royal Liquor?
http://www.yelp.com/biz/royal-liquor-encinitas
My buddy lives few steps away on Range.....
bluesquids
spearo

Postby Nate Baker » April 15th, 2014, 12:11 pm

bluesquids wrote:Royal Liquor?
http://www.yelp.com/biz/royal-liquor-encinitas
My buddy lives few steps away on Range.....

That's it! I love that place. Thanks for the help.
Nate Baker
kook

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 15th, 2014, 1:56 pm

FJHIII wrote::obscene-drinkingcheers:

I don't know much about craft beer, but I enjoy drinking it.

So what else is there to know? :)
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Beeroholics

Postby Bowhunter » April 15th, 2014, 2:15 pm

Stone ruination
Racer 5
Anderson valley
Jack Russell
Rubicon
Hanger 24
Auburn ale house
Most are nor cal craft beers. Except stone
And coors on a hot day
Bowhunter
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 15th, 2014, 3:35 pm

Bowhunter wrote:Stone ruination
Racer 5
Anderson valley
Jack Russell
Rubicon
Hanger 24
Auburn ale house
And coors on a hot day

I get Racer 5 when on tap at my favorite hamburger joint, but for some reason I never remember to buy it for home. I'll work on that.

My son lives about 10 miles from the Auburn Ale House, and we get their IPA on tap when we go there for dinner. Good stuff.

If its a hot day, I'll drink Pilsner Urquel. Its never hot enough for Coors. As the old joke goes, Coors is like making love in a canoe. Its ****ing near water. :)
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Jon Davies » April 15th, 2014, 4:49 pm

I'm not a big fan of IPAs but I'm very partial to porters, stouts etc. As an everyday brew, TJ's Mission St. Brown Ale fits my budget and my taste.

Occasionally, I'll pick up some Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. It's brewed in the small town of Tadcaster, Yorkshire, where my great-grandmother lived. Her name was Smith so I like to think I'm supporting a family business :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Jon Davies
polespearo

Postby Bowhunter » April 15th, 2014, 5:11 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:
Bowhunter wrote:Stone ruination
Racer 5
Anderson valley
Jack Russell
Rubicon
Hanger 24
Auburn ale house
And coors on a hot day

I get Racer 5 when on tap at my favorite hamburger joint, but for some reason I never remember to buy it for home. I'll work on that.

My son lives about 10 miles from the Auburn Ale House, and we get their IPA on tap when we go there for dinner. Good stuff.

If its a hot day, I'll drink Pilsner Urquel. Its never hot enough for Coors. As the old joke goes, Coors is like making love in a canoe. Its ****ing near water. :)
I hear ya about the coors
I live about 3-4miles from the auburn alehouse,I used to live behind it,when it was the Shanghai bar.
Chuck
Bowhunter
spearo

Postby Hookin » April 15th, 2014, 7:40 pm

When I have a chance I like to drink:

Terrible by unibroue
Fat Tire by New Belgium Brewing
Red Hook IPA
Pale Ale Sierra Nevada
Guinness Draft
Widmers Hefe

What I haven't been able to find since I moved from South America is Ruddles Organic. A really nice light English beer.

When the mood hits I can't say no to a corona either.
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 15th, 2014, 7:50 pm

Its funny how our beer tastes evolve. When I was a teenager, I think I drank Schlitz. It probably didn't matter.

When I was a flight instructor at Naval Air Station Beeville Texas, we drank Falstaff because it was cheap and the distributor would deliver it to your house and put in the fridge or cabinet.

But the real thing was Coors. It wasn't sold in Texas, but it was in states to the north (forget which ones). The student syllabus required out-and-in cross country flights to other bases, so we would take our students to places that sold Coors and then stuff cases in the nose. I felt a bit guilty when we'd come back late at night and ask the flight line personnel to unload the cases of Coors, but we would give them some for their trouble.

Now I think Coors is flavored water.

I can't even recall all the different brands that have been our favorites over the years, but the one in the immediate past was Steinlager, from New Zealand. We still think its a fine beer, but its just not our favorite now.

The great thing is that American beers have come so far. Our daughter lives in Germany, and when we would visit, we would wish that we had such great beers back here. They surely do have great beers in Germany, but now we have great craft beers here too.

Maybe the country isn't totally going to shit after all.

Maybe there is a God after all.:)
Last edited by Bill McIntyre on April 15th, 2014, 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 15th, 2014, 8:06 pm

About Guinness draft. My wife and I drank way too much of that during four different bicycle tours of Ireland. We had a wonderful tour of the brewery in Dublin. While laboring up hills in the rain carrying 40 pounds of luggage on the bikes, we loved the billboards that said "Guinness Gives You Strength" or "Guiness is Good for You" even if we knew it was a lie.

And we love it here in the states if "draft" means it comes out of a tap. But we think the cans labeled Guinness Draft suck. The stuff in the bottles labeled Guinness Extra Stout is what tastes very much like the actual draft out of a tap.

I don't know why they do that.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby bshig » April 15th, 2014, 10:15 pm

(In order) fav breweries:

Ballast point
Smog city- for the coffee porter
The Bruery
Monkish
Green flash
Stone

Been to a lot of breweries. These are the ones that made my list.
bshig
polespearo

Postby Avenues » April 16th, 2014, 3:56 am

Lately its been Lagunitas and Ballast Point IPA's. One of my old college roommates is a brewmaster for Stone so I also get hooked up with their stuff.
James Grover
www.youtube.com/user/jgroverman/videos
Instagram: jgroverman
Avenues
kook

Postby Ben Weston » April 27th, 2014, 2:30 pm

Big fan of the IPA. Especially the stuff brewed here in Cali. You guys have already hit on some of my favorites. Sculpin and of course the Pliny when I can find it. I've been known to drive great distances for a pint or two of the Elder and this year, I finally got to try the Younger. I actually prefer the Elder to the Younger.

I will add Firestone's Union Jack. This stuff is readily available and very solid.

My personal all time favorite beer is Mammoth Brewing Co's 395 Ipa. This stuff is brewed with sage and juniper. Makes for a very unique taste and reminds me of the Sierra. There's currently only one bottle shop in So Cal that carries it and they only get it a couple times a year. I load up every time I go to Mammoth and savor it til I can get back to the high country.

Cheers!
Ben Weston
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 27th, 2014, 5:08 pm

Speaking of Auburn Ale House IPA.

My son lives in Loomis, about 10 miles from Auburn, and we drove up there Wednesday and came back today.

Friday night my son attended a father-daughter dance with his first grader. My wife's brother lives in Sacramento, so we invited him to meet us at the Auburn Ale house. We each ordered a pint of IPA, and before we could even look at the sandwich menu, a band started playing. We literally couldn't hear each other shout across the table. I admit to being an old fart, but even when I was young, shouting for conversation wasn't my idea of fun. Also, I'm already deaf in one ear as a result of a round window rupture, and I don't want to lose the other ear to crappy music.

It was too late to back out of the beer order, so I paid for them, we gulped them down, and went next door to Old Town Pizza. I forget which IPA they had on tap, but it was just fine. No beer is worth putting up with that much noise.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby davisdonnell » April 27th, 2014, 8:39 pm

I have only recently come into 'real' beer drinking, as I always stocked up with Coors Banquet. Whilst in Italy, my old boss owned a 'Guinness Historic Pub' and I got shit faced on the good stuff. LOVE Guinness. Second favorite is Big Sky Brewery Moose Drool. Its a brown ale and its crack. Its brewed here in Missoula, and I can get a growler filled nice and cheap. Big Sky Brewing Co also has quite a few other beers that are pretty good and they're almost all on tap in the bars downtown. My roommates are into the super bitter and hoppy beers, but I like to enjoy a beer and not have to bite into it, so I'm keeping away from some of those.
davisdonnell
spearo

Postby Alex Ray » April 27th, 2014, 10:00 pm

I'm really into IPA's right now, as are many divers on this board it seems. A few standards that quickly come to mind:
Sculpin
Pliny
Union Jack
Lagunitas
Sam Adams Rebel IPA

I've also recently gotten very into IPL's like Ballast Point's Fathom IPL, so much so that I brewed a batch of IPL and have it conditioning in bottles right now. I dry-hopped it, so it smelled incredible during bottling.

Another variation on IPA's that interests me right now are white IPA's or Belgian IPA's. They have the hop aroma that I really like along with the associated bitterness, but it is partly mitigated by the use of Belgian yeast or sometimes a wheat beer yeast. Basically it has a flavor profile that my wife will drink but still has the hoppiness to make me happy. New Belgium has one called Chainbreaker that's pretty good, and I've seen a few others but none are coming to mind right now.

On a different note, I recently was able to try Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. Outside of an overwhelmingly strong (and AWESOME) hop aroma when I cracked the bottle it was nothing like what I expected. I really liked it, but at 10 bucks a bottle I don't think it will ever become a regular in the beer rotation...not to mention the fact that it isn't distributed in California. I found it in Reno while there for my brother-in-law's wedding and it was your typical, hidden in the back, one bottle per person deal. I was much more excited about Great Basin Brewing while in Reno than I was about getting to try the 120. Great Basin is a very solid brewery (oldest in Nevada, or so they say) and in true Western U.S. tradition had IPApril going while I was there. 9 IPA's on tap, and $12 for a 4 oz taste or all of them! Quality stuff, but unfortunately I haven't seen it outside of Nevada. Yet.
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby abachar » April 28th, 2014, 7:40 am

Favorites when I can get them in order:
Pliny

Favorites that I can get fairly regularly.
Steelhead double
Talon of the Hawk double
Double Daddy

Go to, at home, put my feet up and relax beer:
Torpedo

Camping:
PBR
Leffe
Anything over 8% for re-enforcements.

Fishing:
Same as camping
Last edited by abachar on April 28th, 2014, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
abachar
spearo

Postby abachar » April 28th, 2014, 7:46 am

Alex Ray wrote:Another variation on IPA's that interests me right now are white IPA's or Belgian IPA's.... New Belgium has one called Chainbreaker that's pretty good,

Every Belgian IPA I've had has been almost undrinkable. It hasn't worked for me yet. I'm not giving up though. Gotta track down the Chainbreaker and give it a shot.
abachar
spearo

Postby Alex Ray » April 28th, 2014, 9:08 am

abachar wrote:
Alex Ray wrote:Another variation on IPA's that interests me right now are white IPA's or Belgian IPA's.... New Belgium has one called Chainbreaker that's pretty good,

Every Belgian IPA I've had has been almost undrinkable. It hasn't worked for me yet. I'm not giving up though. Gotta track down the Chainbreaker and give it a shot.

**Self-correction: Chainbreaker is from Deschutes, not New Belgium. The bicycle theme tripped me up on that one. Little disclaimer too...it has the characteristic Belgian flavor to it, which I don't typically like all that much. With the hops however it becomes much more enjoyable to my palate.

The kicker - and why I put these on my list - is that my wife enjoys drinking them, which isn't always true for straight-up IPA's. Its very much a marriage beer, in more ways than one. For another potential recommendation, I just re-tried Stone's Cali-Belgique (San Diego-style IPA brewed with Belgian yeast) last night. I'd had it at the brewery a month or two ago and remembered it as one of the few Stone brews I've actually liked, and when I saw it in 22oz bottles for $5 at Ralph's last night I gave it another go. Fresh out of the bottle it was hoppy (I liked it), but after maybe 10 mins the hoppiness faded (then I didn't like it as much). The wife liked it a lot though. My long-term strategy is to have Belgian IPA's serve as her gateway beer into the world of extra hops, and eventually she'll be drinking Sculpin and Green Flash with me. Growler-city!
Alex Ray
prick

Beeroholics

Postby Bowhunter » April 28th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:Speaking of Auburn Ale House IPA.

My son lives in Loomis, about 10 miles from Auburn, and we drove up there Wednesday and came back today.

Friday night my son attended a father-daughter dance with his first grader. My wife's brother lives in Sacramento, so we invited him to meet us at the Auburn Ale house. We each ordered a pint of IPA, and before we could even look at the sandwich menu, a band started playing. We literally couldn't hear each other shout across the table. I admit to being an old fart, but even when I was young, shouting for conversation wasn't my idea of fun. Also, I'm already deaf in one ear as a result of a round window rupture, and I don't want to lose the other ear to crappy music.

It was too late to back out of the beer order, so I paid for them, we gulped them down, and went next door to Old Town Pizza. I forget which IPA they had on tap, but it was just fine. No beer is worth putting up with that much noise.

Bill,
Next time up,go to the Loomis basin brewery.
Just a brewery ,not pub.
We don't go to the auburn ale house on the weekend for that reason.
It's on switzer rd.your boy may know the way
Chuck
Bowhunter
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 28th, 2014, 8:35 pm

Chuck,

I think my son goes to the Loomis Basin brewery often, but he hasn't taken us there. And I think he mentioned something about food trucks coming by, but they don't serve food inside.

Anyway, since he wasn't coming along, and since we knew we could get decent sandwiches at the Auburn Ale House, that's where we decided to meet my wife's brother. But now we know better than to try it on weekends.

Saturday night I was too sick to go out, but my wife, son, and grand daughter went to the Farmhaus. My wife said she had an excellent Loomis Basin Pils.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bowhunter » April 29th, 2014, 7:31 am

Cool,
The auburn airport has a brewery also called
Knee deep brewery
Glad you had a safe trip
Chuck
Bowhunter
spearo

Postby Turtle » April 29th, 2014, 11:47 am

Tried the Green Flash IPA last night at a Lampost Pizza. Good stuff!
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby Bakir_sonic » April 29th, 2014, 2:29 pm

FJHIII wrote:
Alex Ray wrote:My long-term strategy is to have Belgian IPA's serve as her gateway beer into the world of extra hops, and eventually she'll be drinking Sculpin and Green Flash with me. Growler-city!

Solid plan! Green flash is one of my favorites.

I had the habanero Sculpin yesterday at the Whole Foods in Fashion Island, I love the heat!

I had the Habanero Sculpin on tap at the UCI Anthill pub. Delicious!
Bakir_sonic
spearo

Postby Turtle » April 30th, 2014, 7:41 am

Bakir_sonic wrote:
FJHIII wrote:
Alex Ray wrote:My long-term strategy is to have Belgian IPA's serve as her gateway beer into the world of extra hops, and eventually she'll be drinking Sculpin and Green Flash with me. Growler-city!

Solid plan! Green flash is one of my favorites.

I had the habanero Sculpin yesterday at the Whole Foods in Fashion Island, I love the heat!

I had the Habanero Sculpin on tap at the UCI Anthill pub. Delicious!

Haha, man I miss that place. Went back to grab a beer a few months ago but it just wasn't the same as when I used to go to school there.
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby Smudge » April 30th, 2014, 12:02 pm

Sculpin just won an international Gold Medal... Again... For good reason. They really have it figured out but boy are they proud of it. Hard to pay $14 for a six pack, but I do now and again.
I'm a huge fan of Ballast Point and have been since 1994. They used to do a seasonal called Humpback Ale way back when, when micro brews were few and far between and that is quite literally the beer that got me drinking beer.

I'm a fan of many beers and picky but do not consider myself a snob. I turn my nose up at some beers that people love and love beers that some people hate.
I love Coors Light on a hot day, but can't stand PBR.

I laugh at people who pay premium prices for Stella Artois since that was the cheap crap lager when I was stationed in England. Heavy marketing did its job on that one. In a pub near where I lived in Cornwall I ordered three pints of Stella only to be regaled by the publican with "three pints O' the wife beater, coming right up". "Wife beater?" I replied. He says "yeah, you know, you drink five or six pints of that shite and you want to go home and beat your wife"... I've thought of Stella as the wife beater ever since! LOL

I drank a lot of one off cask ales in the UK that I'll never see again. You can find a good barley wine now and again around San Diego if you look.

Sessions Public in OB on Voltaire St has a great and constantly shifting selection of craft beers on tap and they usually tap a cask of Friday evenings. It’s generally gone in an hour or two though. The food there is absolutely out of sight as well.

I really miss the cream ales from Cornwall and Ireland. I can find Boddington’s Pub Draft ale pretty regularly but it’s not the best of them. Old Speckled Hen isn’t too hard to find in British or Irish pubs and it’s a better example. Tetley’s is one I miss and I would kill for a Cafrey’s Cream Ale. Think ale but creamy like a Guinness. Then there were the local Cornish beers. Skinner’s and St. Austel. Both of those breweries kicked out good beers. My favorite was called Cornish Cream from Skinners. St. Austel put out one called HSD. Supposedly that stood for Hick’s Special Draft. We just called it High Speed Death. Strong stuff.

And then there are my German favorites. I was lucky enough to make it to Oktoberfest one year. Ended up in the Hofbrau Hous Festhalle. What a blast. Got a glass stein too.
My favorite German beer is Fanzishkanner. While relatively easy to find, it’s just not the same over here.

Domestically we have come light years forward in my short beer drinking career.

I am also a big fan of Big Sky Moose Drool mentioned above. Powder Hound isn’t bad either.

I could go on and on. I love beer. All of it! LOL
Smudge
spearo

Postby abachar » April 30th, 2014, 1:42 pm

What I find interesting is that San Diego has some of the best breweries in the nation. Can anyone explain the roots in that?
abachar
spearo

Postby Bowhunter » April 30th, 2014, 5:24 pm

Hey Abuchar,
Have you tried the devel canyon brew that the gig is going to be held at?
Bowhunter
spearo

Postby Munro » April 30th, 2014, 9:28 pm

Alex Ray wrote:. My long-term strategy is to have Belgian IPA's serve as her gateway beer into the world of extra hops, and eventually she'll be drinking Sculpin and Green Flash with me. Growler-city!

One of my favorite Belgian IPA's is La Freak from Green Flash, although it is 10x better on draft/growler than it is bottled.

Smudge wrote:Sessions Public in OB on Voltaire St has a great and constantly shifting selection of craft beers on tap and they usually tap a cask of Friday evenings. It’s generally gone in an hour or two though. The food there is absolutely out of sight as well.

I really miss the cream ales from Cornwall and Ireland. I can find Boddington’s Pub Draft ale pretty regularly but it’s not the best of them. Old Speckled Hen isn’t too hard to find in British or Irish pubs and it’s a better example. Tetley’s is one I miss and I would kill for a Cafrey’s Cream Ale. Think ale but creamy like a Guinness. Then there were the local Cornish beers. Skinner’s and St. Austel. Both of those breweries kicked out good beers. My favorite was called Cornish Cream from Skinners. St. Austel put out one called HSD. Supposedly that stood for Hick’s Special Draft. We just called it High Speed Death. Strong stuff.

And then there are my German favorites. I was lucky enough to make it to Oktoberfest one year. Ended up in the Hofbrau Hous Festhalle. What a blast. Got a glass stein too.
My favorite German beer is Fanzishkanner. While relatively easy to find, it’s just not the same over here.

I live right down the street from sessions and love that place. It's a good thing I can walk home from there.

I like the suggestions on the Irish beers. I'm going to keep my eye out for some of those since I think Boddington's is great.
Munro
noob

Postby abachar » May 1st, 2014, 10:51 am

Bowhunter wrote:Hey Abuchar,

Yeah, I was just there last week going over some 'logistical' stuff for the event. Their IPA was good and the scotch ale they had was pretty good as well. Their rye IPA was kinda fruity for me, so much so that we were getting it confused with the cherry lambic. Overall solid line up.

You gonna make it out for that event?
abachar
spearo

Postby bluesquids » May 1st, 2014, 12:13 pm

abachar wrote:What I find interesting is that San Diego has some of the best breweries in the nation. Can anyone explain the roots in that?

These are just some of my observations.....

There was a heck of alot of beer drinking going on in this town when I was in college '85-'92. Perhaps that's why SDSU was voted #1 party school in the county during that time, maybe the distinction fed the fire. Some of the more "cultured" folks sought out more than your typical kegger beer. There was a number of really good places pre Bev Mo that had good selections. We use to have beer tasting parties, I suppose others did as well.

During this time Karl Strauss opened his first brewery here....that was pretty huge, turning a wider audience on to a variety of good beer.

Also about that time the Home Brew mart opened it's doors... also huge. These guys turned alot of people into home brewers, I couple buddies of mine were full blow beer nerds..some home brewers who stuck with it went on to bigger things...ie stone and others. The home brew mart guys soon opened up Ballast Point Brewery.

Pizza port was pretty huge too early on IMO....a lot of beers that blew my mind at the time and they set the model for many restaurant/breweries to follow. They later went on to form Port Brewing and Lost Abbey.

I think once stone sykrocketed with the sucess of Arrogant bastard....a lot of people thought they could follow in their footsteps.

Theres a ton of small breweries around now, literally every corner of San Diego County is represented.
bluesquids
spearo

Postby ryan pettit » May 1st, 2014, 3:25 pm

Most of my favorites have been mentioned but a few haven't.

HopJuice from Left Coast Brewco in San Clemente and Green Bullet from Green Flash. So good!
ryan pettit
spearo

Postby Bowhunter » May 1st, 2014, 8:40 pm

abachar wrote:
Bowhunter wrote:Hey Abuchar,

Yeah, I was just there last week going over some 'logistical' stuff for the event. Their IPA was good and the scotch ale they had was pretty good as well. Their rye IPA was kinda fruity for me, so much so that we were getting it confused with the cherry lambic. Overall solid line up.

You gonna make it out for that event?

Myself,LingLing and wet star fish are going to the monterey bay tritons meeting,then racing up to the big show.
So yep,c-ya there,
Chuck
Bowhunter
spearo

Postby davisdonnell » May 1st, 2014, 8:50 pm

Just had Summer Honey from Big Sky Brewing. It was quite delightful. Not as good as Moose Drool, but still damn good, especially in the really warm weather we're having up in MT.
Attachments
davisdonnell
spearo

Postby abachar » May 4th, 2014, 8:59 am

bluesquids wrote:
abachar wrote:What I find interesting is that San Diego has some of the best breweries in the nation. Can anyone explain the roots in that?

These are just some of my observations.....

There was a heck of alot of beer drinking going on in this town when I was in college '85-'92. Perhaps that's why SDSU was voted #1 party school in the county during that time, maybe the distinction fed the fire. Some of the more "cultured" folks sought out more than your typical kegger beer. There was a number of really good places pre Bev Mo that had good selections. We use to have beer tasting parties, I suppose others did as well.

During this time Karl Strauss opened his first brewery here....that was pretty huge, turning a wider audience on to a variety of good beer.

Also about that time the Home Brew mart opened it's doors... also huge. These guys turned alot of people into home brewers, I couple buddies of mine were full blow beer nerds..some home brewers who stuck with it went on to bigger things...ie stone and others. The home brew mart guys soon opened up Ballast Point Brewery.

Pizza port was pretty huge too early on IMO....a lot of beers that blew my mind at the time and they set the model for many restaurant/breweries to follow. They later went on to form Port Brewing and Lost Abbey.

I think once stone sykrocketed with the sucess of Arrogant bastard....a lot of people thought they could follow in their footsteps.

Theres a ton of small breweries around now, literally every corner of San Diego County is represented.

Cool insight. Makes me want to drive 8 hours to swim in good vis and drink good beer.

Side note: I'm really glad Ballast Point and Green Flash have made their way to Santa Cruz. Heck, we had Sculpin on tap at the local buger joint last week and Green Flash IPA is on tap, always, at the local BBQ sports bar.
abachar
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » May 4th, 2014, 9:28 am

Based on recommendations in this thread, my wife picked up some Firestone Union Jack at Trader Joes, and we like it a lot. She also got some Sculpin. We already knew we liked it on tap, but this was the first time we got some in bottles.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Alex Ray » May 4th, 2014, 9:37 am

One of my regular dive buddies (Jeff B B)) lives down in San Diego, about 5 minutes from the Linda Vista location of Ballast Point. He's kind enough (or hop-headed enough) to take the time to stop in and fill up a growler of Fathom IPL before cruising up to go diving. I believe it has now become a tradition, and for good reason:
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » May 4th, 2014, 9:40 am

He brought me a bottle of that IPL when he dove with me a couple of weeks ago, and Nancy and I both liked it.

PS: is that the fish that you made me stay up late to weigh last night?
Attachments
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Jeff B » May 4th, 2014, 10:06 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:He brought me a bottle of that IPL when he dove with me a couple of weeks ago, and Nancy and I both liked it.

PS: is that the fish that you made me stay up late to weigh last night?

It sure wasn't this one :angry-cussingblack:

Glad you liked the IPL though!

Smudge wrote:Sessions Public in OB on Voltaire St has a great and constantly shifting selection of craft beers on tap and they usually tap a cask of Friday evenings. It’s generally gone in an hour or two though. The food there is absolutely out of sight as well.

Yah, Sessions is great. I've only managed to make it over there a couple times though. OB Noodle House has a great lineup too, but it's gotten waayyyyy too crowded lately. Can't wait for the new location to open up and (hopefully) clear out some of the crowd.
- Jeff Barr
Jeff B
spearo

Postby GavinTexas » May 5th, 2014, 5:09 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:Based on recommendations in this thread, my wife picked up some Firestone Union Jack at Trader Joes, and we like it a lot. She also got some Sculpin. We already knew we liked it on tap, but this was the first time we got some in bottles.

Union Jack is one of my all time favorites.

Firestone Pale Ale (yellow label) probably is my favorite beer ever.

Green Flash Imperial IPA is excellent as well.
GavinTexas
spearo

Postby Alex Ray » May 5th, 2014, 9:39 pm

You talking the California Pale 31? That one is really good. We ended up having a pony keg of Union Jack at my wedding on accident It was supposed to be Velvet Merlin stout but they sent the wrong keg. Fantastic accident. I just bought a bottle of FW Opal, which is a dry-hopped saison. Excited to try it, very curious.
Alex Ray
prick

Postby abachar » May 13th, 2014, 12:25 pm

"The Bruery" out of OC makes a pretty good sour.
abachar
spearo

Next

Return to Sitting Topside