Beeroholics

Off-topic conversations, cool videos and news stories. We ask that you keep politics/religion and bickering OUT of this section.

Re: Beeroholics

Postby bluesquids » August 21st, 2014, 11:18 am

I'll raise your Hoptologist double....
With their Simtra TRIPLE!
11.25 alc. and tasty.
Attachments
bluesquids
spearo

Postby BigJim » August 21st, 2014, 1:58 pm

bluesquids wrote:I'll raise your Hoptologist double....
With their Simtra TRIPLE!
11.25 alc. and tasty.

Awesome!!

Those higher ABV ones can be scary smooth...kinda glad they didn't have the triple that night...wifey was pleasantly surpised that I stayed awake and kept her company on the whole drive home from SF to Watsonville.

;)

:greetings-wavingyellow:

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

Postby bluesquids » August 21st, 2014, 3:08 pm

Haha... We just drove from Watsonville to SF.
We needed to find a hotel that was dog friendly so we could get cleaned up before visiting friends in SF.
All the central coast and Big Sur was in stage three water restrictions. The campgrounds had showers boarded up , flush toilets and sinks were a rare find too. Wife was not a happy camper for a few days.
bluesquids
spearo

Postby BigJim » September 23rd, 2014, 8:54 am

Stopped by Aptos St BBQ for some ribs and blues last night and got to try a pint of Decshutes Armory XPA with a Nitro push.

WOW! Very impressed...super smooth and yummy. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Highly recommend giving it a try!

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brew/armory-xpa
It’s fitting this experimental pale ale was the first beer brewed at our Portland Pub. This XPA gets its bitter twist from Nugget, and Northern Brewer hops, then delivers a pronounced citrus kick from Cascade, Centennial and Citra hops. Consider this your next hop obsession.

Malt: Crystal
Hops: Nugget, Northern Brewer, Citra, Cascade, Centennial

Available in 22 oz bottles only in a select handful of western states.

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

Postby bluesquids » September 29th, 2014, 3:44 pm

Actually a month minimum on the Enjoy After..IDK if I can wait that long let alone a year. Will have to get a second bottle to compare the longer cellar time.

Thanks for the Wild Devil recommendation, will check out. Was really enjoying their Prima Pils during that hot weather.

Details on the Cantillon man! That's like the equivalent of shooting a #80 wsb in the beer world.
Attachments
bluesquids
spearo

Postby bluesquids » September 29th, 2014, 3:53 pm

bluesquids
spearo

Postby Alex Ray » September 29th, 2014, 6:13 pm

Oh man, you just got me so pumped for the bottle of Cantillon I've got stashed at home! What was it like? WAIT, NO, DON'T TELL ME...I want it to be a surprise!
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Nate Baker » October 3rd, 2014, 8:31 am

Beer as object lesson in the celebration of life. Perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZzJGDNcW-I
Nate Baker
kook

Postby bluesquids » October 6th, 2014, 12:22 pm

So I thought the swell would kill the vis last weekend(I was wrong).. So I planned a beer centric weekend.

Saturday we attended a Memorial for friend Hugh Marx in Alpine, CA. Huge was a longtime SD Fishing guru, fishing, nature and child advocate. He was the head ranger at lake Jennings , cuyamaca, also set up Lake Palo Verde and others. Basically SD lakes would not be where they are today with out him. And Many thousands of kids were introduced to fishing because of him. Lots of fish tales were told, lots of notables in attendance.

Anyways, afterwards went to raise a glass for Hugh at The Alpine Brew company...https://alpinebeerco.wordpress.com
If you are not familiar with them...they probably produce the best IPA's in the country. NO JOKE!
Forget Pliny and Heady...Nelson and Bad Boy are so insanely good, they jump out of your bloodstream and get into your DNA...is the best I can describe it. Only thing is, bottles are impossible to find and kegs at the pub can run dry untill brew day comes around again.

Came at an off hour so there was no wait, friendly staff and fellow imbiders ...food was on point...Brisket sandwich with breaded fried green beans( so good, blows fries and rings away)...growler fills just closed at 6pm so took a bomber home for later. Overall 11/10!
Good news is a new retail space has been procured so more seating and better parking soon to come. This really is a socal beer mecca and if anyone ever wants to make the trek someday, try to get ahold of me and maybe we can get my wife to be DD and you can take a nap at my place afterwards..lol.

Sunday, we went to Pizza Port OB...Pies were very good 8/10...all beers were exceptional overall time 10/10. Picked up a shirt!http://www.pizzaport.com

Overall 12 beers ticked....cream ale, honey mandarin ale, black ale, IPA's , double IPA's, wheat ale w/vanilla, cherry lambic and barley wine.
bluesquids
spearo

Postby castronova » October 21st, 2014, 4:55 am

Dogfish Head Midas Touch has been one of my favorite beers for years now. I also found this Stone smoked porter by accident the other day and it was absolutely delicious.

castronova
prick

Postby castronova » October 22nd, 2014, 4:52 am

Holy crap that looks good.

Living in Key West at the end of the road we are just starting to get a few craft beer spots but they are all bars. I've had to go to World of Beer to try new things which I hate going to chains here being we have so many great small town eateries and such. This thread has been great to follow as I don't see 10% of this stuff.
castronova
prick

Postby BigJim » October 22nd, 2014, 10:41 am

Found this 22 of Deschutes Brewery 2014 "Chasin Freshies" Fresh Hop IPA yesterday afternoon.

Enjoyed it last night while editing some footage.

Very good!!

If you're a hop head it is definitely worth a try!

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

Postby bluesquids » November 4th, 2014, 1:59 pm

FJHIII wrote:
bluesquids wrote:Actually a month minimum on the Enjoy After..IDK if I can wait that long let alone a year. Will have to get a second bottle to compare the longer cellar time.

I opened one Enjoy After on 10/31. It was carbonated, but the taste was nothing special. I am going to open another one in June.

Lol, I cracked mine too after coming home from some Sober Halloween festivities. Agreed nothing special, some interesting stone fruit notes and Brett on the nose only...Will pick up some more to see what it does with age.

...With "Bandito" burrito....carne asada, chille relleno, ched.Cheese, enchilada sauce, shredded lettuce.
bluesquids
spearo

Postby bluesquids » November 7th, 2014, 10:37 am

San Diego Beer week starts today....for 10 days! My kind of Holiday.
https://www.sdbw.org
There's upwards of 30 events going on daily, most of, not listed on the website, just word of mouth as to avoid the swarms of Hipsters.
I'm not one to hit the pubs hard anymore being somewhat of a responsible citizen, but I'll probably hit My favorite spots to see whats going on.
https://alpinebeerco.wordpress.com
http://societebrewing.com
http://councilbrew.com

Then there's all these lovelies to contend to......
bluesquids
spearo

Postby bluesquids » November 21st, 2014, 12:27 pm

Here's a recommendation.
"The Kimmie, the Yink and the Holy Gose Ale".
This Gose by Anderson Valley found in cans is a great boat/summer/lawnmower beer.
It's 4.2% abv, so you can still get the job done after a few. It's crisp, TART, dry and refreshing with high carbonation. Probably a good gateway beer for those used to Macro beers.
My favorite thing about this beer is it has a salty brineiness to it. I think of what sea water would taste like as you're on your way to Heaven. The brineiness and mildness of it lets it pair well with sashimi or other mild fish dishes.
They also make a Blood Orange Gose which is very similar, the orange is very mild, but I prefer the straight forwardness of the plain one, esp. paired with food...it's still pretty good though.
Last edited by bluesquids on November 21st, 2014, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluesquids
spearo

Postby bluesquids » November 21st, 2014, 12:38 pm

FJHIII, What's up with that new Stone Stout that is Golden colored? how'd they do that?
I'm intrigued, but es-scared :noes: ...you go first!
bluesquids
spearo

Postby bluesquids » November 22nd, 2014, 8:22 pm

You drove from Big Bear to San Marcos and back by 10am! You've got it bad my friend!
I'm having some Cuvee De Tomme right now, Veritas must be insanely good. Noble ale works does Naughty sauce...had their Nelson Showers and Waimea Showers both first rate. Have had my eye on Narwal. Who makes that sour mead? I've seen a couple dif. ones.
bluesquids
spearo

Postby Turtle » November 24th, 2014, 1:56 pm

FJHIII wrote:
bluesquids wrote:FJHIII, What's up with that new Stone Stout that is Golden colored? how'd they do that?
I'm intrigued, but es-scared :noes: ...you go first!

Try to find "Naughty Sauce" too, I think it is the same concept with great reviews. I don't know the brewery off the top of my head.

Noble Ale Works right in our backyard. I tried their Man's Milk at the new Eureka that opened up in the UCI center. Delicious stuff! Also stopped by The Dudes brewery in Torrance for a pint of their grinning face Porter last week. Next local brewery that I plan on hitting up is Absolution.
Hteik

Dam: "Biiiiitch! 10% of your posts is talking about beers. The rest is talking shit on me
Turtle
kook

Postby Turtle » November 25th, 2014, 8:33 am

FJHIII wrote:A new (in a bottle) beer alert, Horchata Imperial Stout from Belching Beaver. My friends in San Diego are taunting me with this text message:

Damn I gotta try this one! I'm a big fan of their peanut butter milk stout.
Hteik

Dam: "Biiiiitch! 10% of your posts is talking about beers. The rest is talking shit on me
Turtle
kook

Postby Jeff B » December 23rd, 2014, 1:22 pm

FJHIII wrote:I finally found some of the Horchata (great selection at Leucadia Liquor, Encinitas). It was ok, the peanut butter is much better. I think that Stone's Xocoveza Mocha Stout is much better, with a similar flavor profile.

Agreed - the peanut butter stout is awesome, but I haven't been as impressed with the rest of their lineup so far. Good, but not great.

If anyone gets a chance to visit Ballast Point, try their new pale ale, Grunion. It's phenomenal. Well worthy of the gold medal it won this year at the Great American Beer Festival. I've only seen it sporadically and just at their tasting rooms so far, but they've had it at the Scripps Ranch/Old Grove location the last few days. Really hope they start shipping kegs out soon.
Last edited by Jeff B on December 23rd, 2014, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jeff Barr
Jeff B
spearo

Postby Alex Ray » December 23rd, 2014, 1:37 pm

x2 on the Grunion. Hopefully with the new BP production facility opening up they'll start shipping that stuff in bottles/cans soon
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Srbradley » December 27th, 2014, 7:51 pm

The Mammoth Brewing Co's 395 IPA is excellent. Has a unique flavor with juniper berries and sage that always makes me feel like I'm sitting around a campfire. It's great stuff.

I also had a new brew from Santa Barbara - Pure Order Black Gull Porter - awesome beer.
Srbradley
polespearo

Postby bluesquids » January 15th, 2015, 10:20 am

FJHIII wrote:Sushi beer recommendation: Green Tea IPA by Stone. The IPA has a Japanese variety of green tea and five different hop varieties including the Japanese-grown Sorachi Ace.

Support your local brewer: Mosaic Showers IPA by Noble Ale Works

Is anyone going to track down a pint of Pliny The Younger?

B) check your pm.
bluesquids
spearo

Postby Smudge » January 15th, 2015, 5:10 pm

I haven't checked in on this thread for a while and now I know why. Florida is a craft beer desert. There are a couple around but nothing like SD. God I miss San Diego. I haven't found anything local here that can even touch a Sculpin. We end up going to the Yard House in Aventura once a month just to drink Sculpins. Fortunately I can get Lagunitas IPA and Little Sumpin' fairly regularly at the grocery store, but we really struggle with the kind of selection found anywhere on the West Coast...
Smudge
spearo

Postby Smudge » January 16th, 2015, 10:07 am

FJHIII wrote:
This guy rocks in FL, Stone collaborated for 4th of July brew and it was off the hook (Hot Lil Miami Tart):

http://www.jwakefieldbrewing.com

I'll check them out for sure. Thanks.
Smudge
spearo

Postby bluesquids » January 16th, 2015, 6:28 pm

FJHIII wrote:
bluesquids wrote:
FJHIII wrote:Sushi beer recommendation: Green Tea IPA by Stone. The IPA has a Japanese variety of green tea and five different hop varieties including the Japanese-grown Sorachi Ace.

B) check your pm.

Got it.

Did you try Mosaic Showers yet?

I have not! Had Nelson Showers and Waimea Showers, they were both damn tasty.
BTW, thanks for the recommendation on Sour Mead, it was soo delicious. Wonder how they compare to the more established(and expensive) Meaderies. Have to check them out being here in Oceanside.

Here's whats currently on deck...TGIF everyone.
bluesquids
spearo

Postby Turtle » January 18th, 2015, 7:22 pm

Tried a bottle of the Green Tea IPA last night and was pleasantly surprised.

The younger is being released in a month or 2 right? I want to try to track it down but I don't want to wait in any insane lines for it.
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby Alex Ray » January 18th, 2015, 7:37 pm

I read somewhere the Younger comes out first or second weekend in February
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Turtle » January 27th, 2015, 3:50 pm

FJHIII wrote:The Firestone 2015 Sucaba is awesome, if you like barley wine.

Sucaba! I gotta kep an eye out for this one. It's been awhile since I've had Sucaba or Parabola.
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby bluesquids » January 27th, 2015, 5:30 pm

Recently had some Sierra Nevada Bigfoot barleywine which was very good ....and for the price worth aging to see what it does with time. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/2671/
Same can be said for Oskar Blues Ten Fidy...such an awesome Imperial stout..very drinkable for the 10 %abv. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2681/34483/

Keeping an eye out for Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter, can't seem to find it.
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/148052/

Just had a hop ranch by Victory....delish!
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/345/104028/

Had some Council Tart Saisons last weekend that were freaking good.
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profil ... view=beers

Hopslam by Bells Brewery just made it's way to San Diego today....sorry LA and OC...
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/17112/
My guy gets his 2 cases on Monday, Haffner I'll try to save you one.

Just did a local trade agreement for some of my fresh caught seafood to get some Heady Topper and other stuff that doesn't hit the shelves on the West Coast...I don't have the time for online trading of beers so I'm pretty excited about that.

Alpine brewery just tapped BadBoy today . Draught only No Growler(DONG).....guess were I'm going for "Wing Wednesday" tomorrow.
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3120/34090/

It's without a doubt, the most exciting time in the history of beer, that we are in right now.
bluesquids
spearo

Postby Bakir_sonic » January 29th, 2015, 12:22 pm

FJHIII wrote:I finally found some of the Horchata (great selection at Leucadia Liquor, Encinitas). It was ok, the peanut butter is much better. I think that Stone's Xocoveza Mocha Stout is much better, with a similar flavor profile.

I also found a bottle of Ballast Point's INDRA KUNINDRA, CURRY EXPORT STOUT. A burst of Madras Curry, Cumin, Cayenne, Coconut, and Kaffir Lime Leaf. I enjoyed the many different flavors with a little bit of heat. I would like to pair this one with some Indian Food (the one with a dot, not a feather), one of my favorite dishes to make is curry.

Tried this beer out yesterday.... too much for me. felt like I should have used it to cook up some chicken.

First sip and I was like Image

Love this thread guys! Keep the Sour's suggestions coming :greetings-clappingorange:
Bakir_sonic
spearo

Postby bluesquids » January 29th, 2015, 1:51 pm

Whats up Bakir?
You might like this one by Crooked Stave...goes well with Tilapia. :D
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25191/90101/
Pretty commonly found, though listed as a saison its TART....and reminded me of Russian River Temptation...though at almost half the price.
Last edited by bluesquids on January 29th, 2015, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluesquids
spearo

Postby Bakir_sonic » January 29th, 2015, 2:02 pm

bluesquids wrote:Whats up Bakir?
Pretty commonly found, though listed as a saison its TART....and reminded me of Russian River Supplication...though at almost half the price.

Whaddup Pete! Hahah I'm never gonna live that one down! worst part is, it wasn't tilapia after all it was some type of shad species (oily,muddy,delicious :ugh: )

I'll check that one out!
Bakir_sonic
spearo

Postby bluesquids » January 29th, 2015, 2:36 pm

Bakir_sonic wrote:
bluesquids wrote:Whats up Bakir?
Pretty commonly found, though listed as a saison its TART....and reminded me of Russian River Temptation...though at almost half the price.

Whaddup Pete! Hahah I'm never gonna live that one down! worst part is, it wasn't tilapia after all it was some type of shad species (oily,muddy,delicious :ugh: )

I'll check that one out!

Oh no way...that's why it tasted like pond scum..you get props for not letting it go to waste :handgestures-thumbupleft: LOL!
bluesquids
spearo

Postby bluesquids » January 30th, 2015, 11:09 pm

Tried this beer out yesterday.... too much for me. felt like I should have used it to cook up some chicken.

That probably would be good to cook with.

I was gonna make this recipe tonite, but couldn 't find a rauchbier. Rauchbier is a smoked beer, it's an old style before they invented the modern roasters, they would roast the malt over open fires giving the smoky flavor. The particular one in this recipe is often referred to as the "bacon beer" and its tasty. http://draftmag.com/recipes/detail/336

Also, Recently made a simple recipe of sautéed mushrooms in a brown ale simmered down, which was a winner. I used Lost Coast Downtown brown. Forgot, that thats a pretty decent one too...been on a brown ale kick lately.
bluesquids
spearo

Postby bluesquids » February 4th, 2015, 12:01 am

FJHIII wrote:I recently went to Hollingsheads Deli for my first time, I loved it there. If you haven't been, I recommend it. They have good food and a better beer selection/draft: http://www.hollingsheadsdeli.com

My daughter has a soccer tournament Valentines day weekend in Garden Grove....I'm gonna try and check this place out. Also, Noble Ale works is close by. Anything else I'm missing? Maybe we can meet up, gonna be tight, also gonna try and meet up with Jon Davies in Pasadena, any good places between OC and there?
* Spoiler Alert Jon Davies...incoming Stouts! Lol.
bluesquids
spearo

Postby Turtle » February 4th, 2015, 9:36 am

bluesquids wrote:
FJHIII wrote:I recently went to Hollingsheads Deli for my first time, I loved it there. If you haven't been, I recommend it. They have good food and a better beer selection/draft: http://www.hollingsheadsdeli.com

My daughter has a soccer tournament Valentines day weekend in Garden Grove....I'm gonna try and check this place out. Also, Noble Ale works is close by. Anything else I'm missing? Maybe we can meet up, gonna be tight, also gonna try and meet up with Jon Davies in Pasadena, any good places between OC and there?
* Spoiler Alert Jon Davies...incoming Stouts! Lol.

Bottle Logic, The Bruery and Valiant are also worth checking out. Noble just had their Cinnamon Roast Crunch on tap a couple days ago. Worth a try if it's still on tap.
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby Turtle » February 6th, 2015, 10:39 am

For you Brew Snobs. What are your top 5-10 bottled craft brews that you would expect or want to see at a bar? My brother's bar in Torrance is stepping up their beer game and they've asked me to come up with a list of 10 craft brews for them to carry.
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby Bowhunter » February 6th, 2015, 11:07 am

1.stone ruination
2.bear republic racer 5
3.laganitas lil somtin
4.knee deep hoptolagist
5.out of bounds.elevation 6225
A few more.
North coast. Prankster
Bear republic. Racer x
Knee deep. Simtra
Auburn alehouse. Zz hop
All nor cal brews except the stone.
Bowhunter
spearo

Postby Turtle » February 6th, 2015, 2:24 pm

Bowhunter wrote:1.stone ruination
2.bear republic racer 5
3.laganitas lil somtin
4.knee deep hoptolagist
5.out of bounds.elevation 6225
A few more.
North coast. Prankster
Bear republic. Racer x
Knee deep. Simtra
Auburn alehouse. Zz hop
All nor cal brews except the stone.

Solid recommendations! Thanks!
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby Turtle » February 6th, 2015, 2:31 pm

FJHIII wrote:
Turtle wrote:For you Brew Snobs. What are your top 5-10 bottled craft brews that you would expect or want to see at a bar? My brother's bar in Torrance is stepping up their beer game and they've asked me to come up with a list of 10 craft brews for them to carry.

That is tough for bottles, the ones that I would want to see are limited release. It is easier to give brewery names. My opinion is skewed, I probably only know 10% of the craft beer market.

Off the top of my head, my top 10 are:
    Stone
    Russian River
    Ballast Point
    Lost Abbey
    Green Flash
    Belching Beaver
    Pizza Port
    The Bruery
    Noble Ale Works
    Monkish (Torrance based)

Be on the look out for the new kid on the block:
    The Hop Concept Brewing

Haha, you pretty much covered my main breweries of choice. I thought about recommending brews from Monkish, Absolution, The Dudes and Smog City but I figured that suggesting local brews might not be such a good idea since people can just go to the breweries themselves for a beer. But then again, the breweries close up shop early while the bar is open til 2AM.
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby Ben Weston » February 11th, 2015, 6:18 am

FJHIII wrote:
Turtle wrote:For you Brew Snobs. What are your top 5-10 bottled craft brews that you would expect or want to see at a bar? My brother's bar in Torrance is stepping up their beer game and they've asked me to come up with a list of 10 craft brews for them to carry.

That is tough for bottles, the ones that I would want to see are limited release. It is easier to give brewery names. My opinion is skewed, I probably only know 10% of the craft beer market.

Off the top of my head, my top 10 are:
    Stone
    Russian River
    Ballast Point
    Lost Abbey
    Green Flash
    Belching Beaver
    Pizza Port
    The Bruery
    Noble Ale Works
    Monkish (Torrance based)

Be on the look out for the new kid on the block:
    The Hop Concept Brewing

I would add Firestone Walker to this list. All their styles are spot on and several are world class. I've never had a Firestone beer that missed the mark.

Increasingly I find myself picking restaurants due to their beer selection. I recommend Slaters 50/50 burgers in Lake Forest. More than 100 taps rotated regularly. I always find something interesting that I've never had before. They have a couple other locations but I can't speak to their selections.
Ben Weston
spearo

Postby Alex Ray » February 11th, 2015, 8:56 am

If any of you guys find yourself near Buellton, try to go by the Firestone Brewery taproom they have there when the Barrelworks tasting room is open. Insanely awesome barrel-aged beers in more styles than you can imagine. Just be sure to bring a DD or a free afternoon, those beers are all over 10%. It's not always open and it has different hours than the main taproom, but it's worth planning around it.
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Turtle » February 11th, 2015, 4:58 pm

My local liquor store just got in some Power Plant Triple IPA from El Segundo brewing company. Going to try to snag a bottle after work.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25920/112576/
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby Alex Ray » February 23rd, 2015, 11:00 am

The Anthill Pub on the UCI campus is tapping their keg of Pliny the Younger this upcoming Saturday. In order to reduce the craziness on Saturday they're selling tickets for it starting today at 11am. Unfortunately they only get one keg, and a 5-gal at that, so the tickets are for a single 5oz pour and they're only selling 125 tickets and only one per person...I can't even pick one up for my wife. I've heard conflicting reports about the awesomeness/overratedness of PtY, but nevertheless this beer has been on my list to try for some time so I'm picking up my ticket. I'm hoping they'll have the Elder in as well to try them side by side to see if the hype is real or purely due to scarcity.
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Turtle » February 23rd, 2015, 11:13 am

Alex Ray wrote:The Anthill Pub on the UCI campus is tapping their keg of Pliny the Younger this upcoming Saturday. In order to reduce the craziness on Saturday they're selling tickets for it starting today at 11am. Unfortunately they only get one keg, and a 5-gal at that, so the tickets are for a single 5oz pour and they're only selling 125 tickets and only one per person...I can't even pick one up for my wife. I've heard conflicting reports about the awesomeness/overratedness of PtY, but nevertheless this beer has been on my list to try for some time so I'm picking up my ticket. I'm hoping they'll have the Elder in as well to try them side by side to see if the hype is real or purely due to scarcity.

My friend woke up at 5am and drove out to Haven gastropub yesterday to wait for it. He said it was good but not worth a 4-5 hour wait. I opted to go diving instead of waiting in line for a beer.
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby bluesquids » February 23rd, 2015, 12:48 pm

Man, I just volunteered to pour Sat nite at SD Beerfest at the hall of champions in Balboa Park. In return, I got in free Fri nite and tried a bunch of beers from the 40 breweries attending. Also, got a ton of swag and met some cool people. Good time, great band, would do it again.

I was pouring five brews from Stumblefoot brewery...a belgian double, a dunkleweizen, a chipotle stout, a mild sour ale and a whopper sour ale barrel aged 18 months with peaches and apricots.
My buddy was pouring for Oskar Blues with their usual line up.
Funny, at first people were all like...tell me about this one ...tell me about that one...then at the end of the nite..there sure was some sloppy people about...they were all... just give me whatever.
Had to wash the cougar juice off me when i got home, there was one wild pack that was coming on strong, wanting to go all 50 shades of grey on me and dry humping my leg. My wife got a kick out of that.Image
bluesquids
spearo

Postby Alex Ray » February 23rd, 2015, 3:22 pm

Turtle wrote:My friend woke up at 5am and drove out to Haven gastropub yesterday to wait for it. He said it was good but not worth a 4-5 hour wait. I opted to go diving instead of waiting in line for a beer.

You made the same decision I probably would've made, and I don't think I'd ever wait 4-5 hrs for a beer. That said, I got my ticket for Saturday and I'm really looking forward to trying the Younger, hype or no hype.
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Alex Ray » February 28th, 2015, 7:40 pm

Younger on the left, Elder on the right. Dream come true.

Best part is Anthill is going all-out with a bunch of other great beers from some stellar breweries...gonna be here all night.
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Alex Ray » March 1st, 2015, 7:10 pm

Pretty busy, and they had a LOT of great beers on tap and in the bottle in addition to PtY. They had a few RR sours, plus others that I'd never heard of that people in line seemed excited about. Multiple barrel-aged stouts and wild ales.
Alex Ray
prick

PreviousNext

Return to Sitting Topside