Beeroholics

Off-topic conversations, cool videos and news stories. We ask that you keep politics/religion and bickering OUT of this section.

Re: Beeroholics

Postby Turtle » March 13th, 2015, 8:10 am

Stopped by Absolution brewery in Torrance last night. God they had good beer. Tried their Wicked double IPA and it was smooooooooooooth for a beer that was close to 10%abv.
Hteik

Dam: "Biiiiitch! 10% of your posts is talking about beers. The rest is talking shit on me
Turtle
kook

Postby Turtle » March 30th, 2015, 8:09 am

Came up with a solid list of craft brews thanks to your responses and they have been a hit at my brother's bar. A couple of the crowd favorites are the St. Archer IPA and Mother Earth Cali Creamin. The response was so good that they've decided that they want to get some craft beer on tap.

Btw, stopped by Noble Ale Works and Bottle Logic yesterday. For those of you that are local to Anaheim/Orange, you should definitely check these places out. Phenomenal beer and chill spots to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon . :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Hteik

Dam: "Biiiiitch! 10% of your posts is talking about beers. The rest is talking shit on me
Turtle
kook

Postby bluesquids » April 1st, 2015, 8:54 am

Look what I found at BevMo. They said it was the only batch to be delivered to California and they had exclusive rights. I went back three times and bought everything they had. I'm open to gear/gun trades...whatcha got?

bluesquids
spearo

Postby bcoats » April 1st, 2015, 10:22 am

Alex Ray wrote:If any of you guys find yourself near Buellton, try to go by the Firestone Brewery taproom they have there when the Barrelworks tasting room is open. Insanely awesome barrel-aged beers in more styles than you can imagine. Just be sure to bring a DD or a free afternoon, those beers are all over 10%. It's not always open and it has different hours than the main taproom, but it's worth planning around it.

If you guys are hitting Buellton, Figueroa Mnt Brew Co is a must stop. They are kicking out some really nice brews. Lizards Mouth Imperial IPA is tops on my ipa list.
bcoats
polespearo

Postby jtully » April 3rd, 2015, 9:01 am

Turtle wrote:Came up with a solid list of craft brews thanks to your responses and they have been a hit at my brother's bar. A couple of the crowd favorites are the St. Archer IPA and Mother Earth Cali Creamin. The response was so good that they've decided that they want to get some craft beer on tap.

Btw, stopped by Noble Ale Works and Bottle Logic yesterday. For those of you that are local to Anaheim/Orange, you should definitely check these places out. Phenomenal beer and chill spots to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon . :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Where in Torrance is your brother's bar? Always looking for new places to have a drink. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Josh Tully
jtully
spearo

Postby bluesquids » April 3rd, 2015, 1:32 pm

FJHIII wrote:
"They" as in BevMo or the SD BevMo store?

April Fools! Gotcha! :eusa-dance: haha

I did land this Westbrook gose from out of state which was awesome. And the evil twin despite being a diferent style looked almost the same and tasted very similar without the saltiness. It's around... worth seeking for a canned sour....the Anderson Valley canned goses are still hard to beat for the price, though. I heard they are making a watermelon one.Image
bluesquids
spearo

Postby Turtle » April 4th, 2015, 8:19 am

jtully wrote:
Turtle wrote:Came up with a solid list of craft brews thanks to your responses and they have been a hit at my brother's bar. A couple of the crowd favorites are the St. Archer IPA and Mother Earth Cali Creamin. The response was so good that they've decided that they want to get some craft beer on tap.

Where in Torrance is your brother's bar? Always looking for new places to have a drink. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Crenshaw and Lomita. It's called Southland. Used to be more of a sports bar theme but they switched up the business model this year and it's now more of a whiskey bar/speakeasy kind of spot. http://www.southlandbar.com/
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby Kwtony » April 4th, 2015, 11:29 am

I know its not a Cali beer, but Purple Haze is hands down one of my favorite craft beers. Made in LA , Purple Haze a lager brewed with real raspberries added after filtration. It is a pilsner with wheat malts and Vanguard hops. So far its one of the few craft beers I've found that doesn't have a harsh after taste, I can drink them all day long without getting a heavy stomach.

Kwtony
spearo

Postby jtully » April 6th, 2015, 10:25 am

Turtle wrote:Crenshaw and Lomita. It's called Southland. Used to be more of a sports bar theme but they switched up the business model this year and it's now more of a whiskey bar/speakeasy kind of spot. http://www.southlandbar.com/

Got it. The old CJ's. Sounds like I'll have to make an effort to get back in there. Thanks for the heads up.
Josh Tully
jtully
spearo

Postby Hookin » April 6th, 2015, 12:20 pm

I just had this over the weekend at my new favorite local bar. Man it was delicious!
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby Turtle » April 7th, 2015, 7:54 am

jtully wrote:
Turtle wrote:Crenshaw and Lomita. It's called Southland. Used to be more of a sports bar theme but they switched up the business model this year and it's now more of a whiskey bar/speakeasy kind of spot. http://www.southlandbar.com/

Got it. The old CJ's. Sounds like I'll have to make an effort to get back in there. Thanks for the heads up.

Haha, exactly! My brother bought CJ's about 4-5 years ago for dirt cheap. Remodeled it and turned it into one of the best bars in the Southbay.
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby toekneepena » April 7th, 2015, 12:50 pm

Hookin wrote:I just had this over the weekend at my new favorite local bar. Man it was delicious!

I heard Stone is discontinuing their Sublimely Self Righteous IPA. I'll have to try it before it's gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ~Mark Twain
toekneepena
noob

Postby toekneepena » April 7th, 2015, 12:51 pm

I heard Stone is discontinuing their Sublimely Self Righteous IPA. I'll have to try it before it's gone.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ~Mark Twain
toekneepena
noob

Postby bluesquids » April 7th, 2015, 1:15 pm

toekneepena wrote:I heard Stone is discontinuing their Sublimely Self Righteous IPA. I'll have to try it before it's gone.

Heard that too...but will ressureccected in a black ipa version of "enjoy by".
bluesquids
spearo

Postby HEX » April 19th, 2015, 10:08 am

two of my favorite beers right here.

I also really enjoyed this stout by Alesmith Brewing out of San Diego

HEX
spearo

Postby bluesquids » April 21st, 2015, 11:07 am

Canned Grapefruit sculpin is hitting stores now. IMO, that beer is too tasty for its own sake, and in the can its a perfect boat beer. At $15 -$16 bucks a six pack the argument can be made that its on the pricey side....but I say at around 2.60 a beer or so it's still a very affordable luxury especially compared to other beers cough cough pliny.
Canned beers actually keep light and oxygen away from the beer better than bottles....so the low brow stigma need not apply any more. What is a keg anyways?.....A giant aluminum can.

Paired with hot wings suckas.
ImageImage
bluesquids
spearo

Postby Hookin » April 21st, 2015, 1:21 pm

bluesquids wrote:
toekneepena wrote:I heard Stone is discontinuing their Sublimely Self Righteous IPA. I'll have to try it before it's gone.

Heard that too...but will ressureccected in a black ipa version of "enjoy by".

I have no idea. I just happened to find this at a whisky bar in town and had that before I finished with an ozzie single malt.
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby Alex Ray » April 21st, 2015, 4:24 pm

Anyone here tried Lagunitas' Waldo? Hadn't heard of it before but had the chance to try it last night, and man was it good!
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby HEX » April 24th, 2015, 10:03 pm

Currently enjoying a North Coast Brewing Co Old Rasputin, Cheers!

HEX
spearo

Postby HEX » April 25th, 2015, 2:32 pm

Just enjoyed this delicious Prairie Bomb! This is one if the better stouts I've tried with its intense dark chocolate and coffee notes right at the front of the mouth and I got a subtle pepper flavor at the back of the mouth. Very well balanced stout.

HEX
spearo

Postby Turtle » April 29th, 2015, 10:29 am

Stopped by the brewery down the street yesterday cuz that Puto Mark was pouring. Had a blast drinking good beer and talkin fish stories with him and a few of the customers that were in there.

Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby Bowhunter » April 29th, 2015, 7:55 pm

Did the mammoth brewery last weekend ! Yum
Oh and watch the altitude, sneaks up on ya.
Bowhunter
spearo

Postby bluesquids » April 29th, 2015, 8:36 pm

Bowhunter wrote:Did the mammoth brewery last weekend ! Yum
Oh and watch the altitude, sneaks up on ya.

Cool. Got plans for that this summer, but base camp is gonna be here...
http://www.junelakebrewing.com/happenings
https://www.facebook.com/JuneLakeBrewing?ref=ts&fref=ts
bluesquids
spearo

Postby toekneepena » April 30th, 2015, 4:02 pm

Picked up some of my favorites from Russian River.

toekneepena
noob

Postby Bowhunter » April 30th, 2015, 6:43 pm

I just filled my growler with ZZ Hop from the auburn ale house (nor cal)
Limited release beer,never been able to take home till now.
$27 ouch (prob my last growler of that ) 9.5 percent
Bowhunter
spearo

Postby Alex Ray » April 30th, 2015, 7:47 pm

toekneepena wrote:Picked up some of my favorites from Russian River.

Those three beers are downright incredible. Well played.
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Turtle » April 30th, 2015, 10:02 pm

toekneepena wrote:Image
Picked up some of my favorites from Russian River.

You....Win. :bow-blue:
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby bluesquids » June 23rd, 2015, 7:34 am

Went to Pizza Port OB for Fathers day. Had their first run Double IPA "Kook" side by side with a Pliny for comparison and it's equally as good...actually after just killing off the sixer I picked up....I'd prefer it any day.
Look for it in cans, great value as it's a huge beer... A sixer of 16oz Kook was $16....if it was Pliny that would be about $40 or more.
Prior to that, stared with a sour of theirs called "Beer Hunter" ....fantastic, very similar to RR Temptation I thought.
Bumbed around OB afterwards....saw a huge raging boil from the end of the pier... Straight out of the MB Channel.

Check the Kook release here.
http://youtu.be/8CoRx4NQF_o
bluesquids
spearo

Postby bluesquids » June 25th, 2015, 9:37 am

bluesquids wrote:Bumbed around OB afterwards....saw a huge raging boil from the end of the pier... Straight out of the MB Channel.

Ha Ha....I knew I wasn't tripping....
...every single person fishing the pier was oblivious to it.

bluesquids
spearo

Postby Turtle » July 30th, 2015, 7:35 am

bluesquids wrote:
bluesquids wrote:Bumbed around OB afterwards....saw a huge raging boil from the end of the pier... Straight out of the MB Channel.

Might head down to SD for a beer run this weekend. Planning on hitting Ballast Point, possibly Mother Earth, Stone and Green Flash. Any others you guys would recommend?
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby bluesquids » July 30th, 2015, 9:29 am

Turtle wrote:
bluesquids wrote:

Might head down to SD for a beer run this weekend. Planning on hitting Ballast Point, possibly Mother Earth, Stone and Green Flash. Any others you guys would recommend?

Modern times has been hitting home runs lately...http://moderntimesbeer.com/site/age-verification Pizza port OB...is pretty close to there........

I'm up in the Sierras or would join you....been hitting June lake Brewing every nite....brought them some Pizza port "KOOK"...and they were beyond stoked and gave me the hook ups beyond trade value.

Going to Mammoth Brewing today for beer and grub after hiking.
Room view...
bluesquids
spearo

Postby bluesquids » July 30th, 2015, 9:43 am

Sometimes you just gotta......
bluesquids
spearo

Postby dustyyoungblood » July 30th, 2015, 10:03 am

I have added Firestone 805 to my list of go to brews.

Favorites staple beers that pair well with long salty days:
Stone, IPA and many others
Fat Tire
Firestone, 805 and DBA
Ballast Point, Sculpin and Big Eye
Stella Artois
PABST
Green Flash, West coast IPA
dustyyoungblood
Sturgill spearfishing

Postby Deeber » September 16th, 2015, 6:35 am

I'll second the 805 along with

Modern time stout
Sculpin Grapefruit
Victory At Sea
Cali Cream'n
Barrel House Brewing Rye IPA (when I can get it)
Skyland Aleworks in Corona also cooks up some mean small batch brews
Deeber
noob

Postby Donzi Paul » September 16th, 2015, 6:51 am

Turtle wrote:Stopped by the brewery down the street yesterday cuz that Puto Mark was pouring. Had a blast drinking good beer and talkin fish stories with him and a few of the customers that were in there.

Hey buddy where is that place? I'd like to say hi to Mark and have a pint.

Cheers, Don

PS Just saw the name on the shirt. :D
Last edited by Donzi Paul on September 16th, 2015, 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Donzi Paul » September 16th, 2015, 6:52 am

HEX wrote:Currently enjoying a North Coast Brewing Co Old Rasputin, Cheers!

That's one of my favorites. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Cheers. Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Bowhunter » September 16th, 2015, 4:10 pm

Soooo,
I must have the greatest wife I know of!
Not only does she support my diving(she bought my last 2 sea snipers)
But she,on my 8th anniversary,got me a year of the beer of the month subscription.
12 beers a month,6 domestic,6 foreign beers. Lucky me.
The brew should start coming in this month some time. Stay tuned
Chuck
Bowhunter
spearo

Postby bluesquids » September 16th, 2015, 4:55 pm

Bowhunter wrote:Soooo,
I must have the greatest wife I know of!
Not only does she support my diving(she bought my last 2 sea snipers)
But she,on my 8th anniversary,got me a year of the beer of the month subscription.
12 beers a month,6 domestic,6 foreign beers. Lucky me.
The brew should start coming in this month some time. Stay tuned
Chuck

Nice!
Your wife found the secret.......
bluesquids
spearo

Postby CDMdeepbreather » October 1st, 2015, 1:37 pm

the Gnarwahl Stout by lost Coast is another good/strong one. I love them stouts and browns!
Stoked to be here!
IG: @matt_blackwill_photo
http://mattblackwillphoto.smugmug.com/
CDMdeepbreather
spearo

Postby Turtle » January 21st, 2016, 12:23 pm

It's almost that time of the year. Pliny the Younger!
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby Bill McIntyre » January 21st, 2016, 2:17 pm

I just got back from my son's house near Auburn, and he served me some great IPAs from Knee Deep Brewing. Citra IPA took first place overall and in the People's Choice category at the last Bistro IPA Festival in Hayward, and Hoptologist beat Pliny the Elder a couple of years ago.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bowhunter » January 21st, 2016, 8:42 pm

Good beers Bill,next time have him take you to "out of bounds"brewery in Rocklin.
Good one also.
Chuck
Bowhunter
spearo

Postby Ben Weston » February 8th, 2016, 7:56 pm

All of Knee Deep's IPA's are excellent with the citra being the best IMO. You can find it around town Bill. Bevmo's and some of the bottle shops have been carrying it but beware it's $11 for a bomber and check the dates. It needs to be fresh.
Ben Weston
spearo

Postby Turtle » July 5th, 2016, 9:33 am

Anyone check out the new Ballast Point spot in Long Beach this past weekend??

http://www.presstelegram.com/business/2 ... ay-landing
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby bluesquids » August 2nd, 2016, 2:08 pm

I hosted a Beer tasting earlier this year, got a nice write up.
https://www.mcasd.org/blog/qa-spring-things-cicerone

I made the connection thru my diving buddies wife, which was pretty cool of her :bowrofl: .
I'm currently looking for a regular gig in the "Beverage Industry"...... So any additional Spearo/beer networking in the San Diego area would be SWEET!
bluesquids
spearo

Postby Hookin » August 3rd, 2016, 5:57 am

I had a hell or high watermellon yesterday that was suprisingly really good at the mayple block on sepulveda near the 405 in culver city. The peach wood smoked brisket was delicous too!
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby Turtle » April 5th, 2017, 3:38 pm

Hookin wrote:I had a hell or high watermellon yesterday that was suprisingly really good at the mayple block on sepulveda near the 405 in culver city. The peach wood smoked brisket was delicous too!

A friend brought this over a couple days ago and I was surprisingly impressed.

Been hitting up Monkish in Torrance lately. Pretty hooked on their beers right now.

Heard about a new brewery called Mumford in LA that is supposed to be really good. Anyone been?
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Previous

Return to Sitting Topside