Beeroholics

Off-topic conversations, cool videos and news stories. We ask that you keep politics/religion and bickering OUT of this section.

Re: Beeroholics

Postby Turtle » May 14th, 2014, 9:43 am

Looks like I need to try the Union Jack. From Firestone I usually drink Wookey Jack or Sucaba and Parabola if I can get my hands on them. You should also pick up a bottle of Stone Enjoy By if you ever see it at Trader Joes. I think they carried the last few releases.
Hteik

Dam: "Biiiiitch! 10% of your posts is talking about beers. The rest is talking shit on me
Turtle
kook

Postby Turtle » May 14th, 2014, 10:37 am

FJHIII wrote:
Any Sour Beer recommendations?

Russian River has some solid sours. Beatification, Supplication, Consecration, Compunction, Sanctification, Temptation. Tough to get your hands on these though unless you take a trip up to the Bay area.
Hteik

Dam: "Biiiiitch! 10% of your posts is talking about beers. The rest is talking shit on me
Turtle
kook

Postby castronova » May 14th, 2014, 11:42 am

Way too many to remember after drinking them.

Lately I have been downing many sixers of Dales Pale Ale. The can just makes it so awesome.

I happen to think Dogfish Head 90 minute is the best tasting beer on the planet.

If its super hot or If I feel like drinking all day it's Bud Light. A good amount of time on the boat we start with a few Modelo on the ride home to get the engine started then we switch to a light. It's a good way to lose a finger filleting fish but we do it anyway.
castronova
prick

Postby abachar » May 15th, 2014, 6:28 am

FJHIII wrote:Any of you beer snobs going to BABL?

I might have to stop by Russian River.

I'll pick up a growler of one of their sours on the way up as well as a couple of pliny. If you have any special requests from Russian River, I'll be happy to pick something up.
abachar
spearo

Postby Nate Baker » May 16th, 2014, 6:52 am

The WSJ had a good column yesterday.

Here's the link.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... itorsPicks

Anybody know this beer?
Nate Baker
kook

Postby Alex Ray » May 16th, 2014, 7:25 am

No, but now I want to
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Ben Weston » May 25th, 2014, 7:59 pm

Lately I have been downing many sixers of Dales Pale Ale. The can just makes it so awesome.

If you see it around, try the Deviant Dales. It's their IPA. It's only sold in tall cans and it comes in 4 packs. Very tasty!
Ben Weston
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » May 26th, 2014, 8:31 am

Ben Weston wrote:

If you see it around, try the Deviant Dales. It's their IPA. It's only sold in tall cans and it comes in 4 packs. Very tasty!

Thanks Mike, I'll try to find some next time I do an overnight trip on the boat. I don't like to take bottles on those.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby abachar » May 27th, 2014, 3:23 pm

Anyone heard of or better yet tried this?

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/27039/16814/

Supposedly same reputation as pliny.
abachar
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » May 27th, 2014, 5:43 pm

My wife spent four days over the weekend camped in the back of my truck up in the mountains east of Warner Springs at a gymkhana competition. She took plenty of Sculpin with her, and its a good thing. Apparently the barrel racing set is not very sophisticated about beer. Sitting around at dinner in the evening she could break out a Sculpin, and people would say "what's that" and ask for a taste. A lot of them seemed to convert. She gave away about half of her stash.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Jon Davies » May 27th, 2014, 6:49 pm

I've never met your wife, Bill, but she sounds like the coolest SO ever. You lucky dog!
Jon Davies
polespearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » May 27th, 2014, 7:15 pm

Thanks Jon.

I am indeed lucky.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Turtle » May 28th, 2014, 7:27 am

abachar wrote:Anyone heard of or better yet tried this?

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/27039/16814/

Supposedly same reputation as pliny.

Heady!! Been on the lookout for this one for a long time. My buddy got his hands on a can of it last year from a private seller on a beer fanatics website. I forgot to ask him if he ever drank it. I have yet to see it anywhere!

Picked up a bottle of Firestone Stickee Monkee at BevMo over the weekend. Can't wait to crack it open but going to save it for a special occasion.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2210/63249/
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby bluesquids » May 28th, 2014, 10:43 am

Lagunitas Sucks!
=
Outfreakingstanding!
Attachments
bluesquids
spearo

Postby Ben Weston » May 30th, 2014, 6:03 am

Thanks Mike, I'll try to find some next time I do an overnight trip on the boat. I don't like to take bottles on those.

Another excellent IPA in a can is Swami's. They usually have it to go at the Pizza Port near your house. One of my favorites to take on the boat.

I love the idea of your wife sharing the Sculpin stoke.
Ben Weston
spearo

Postby bluesquids » June 3rd, 2014, 9:26 am

What happened to the post about the new Stone releases? I was wondering where you can get two cases...where my shop has a limit of two bombers.

Anyways regarding canned beers...Swami's is awesome...but my go to for the last year has been Modern Times Blazing World....So delicious, same alcohol content as Swamis but a pint just disappears before you know it...creamy, dank, sticky, lots of flavors and nose going on but totally balanced.
Attachments
bluesquids
spearo

Postby bluesquids » June 4th, 2014, 4:21 am

bluesquids wrote:What happened to the post about the new Stone releases? I was wondering where you can get two cases...where my shop has a limit of two .

Bottle shops get a limited release of two cases....then theres this!
https://www.facebook.com/117412628518/p ... =1&theater
bluesquids
spearo

Postby Turtle » June 5th, 2014, 8:56 pm

FJHIII wrote:
bluesquids wrote:What happened to the post about the new Stone releases? I was wondering where you can get two cases...where my shop has a limit of two bombers.

That was me! The Enjoy By is so good, I buy 1 case for my house. This time, I bought a 2nd case for the BABL instead of bringing growlers. Whole Foods does not have limits on beer sales. I have purchased a case from the Stone Store in the past.

Stone has two double IPAs coming out now: RuinTEN and Unapologetic

Ruinten is frickin delicious! Can't wait to swoop up on some bottles!
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby bluesquids » June 10th, 2014, 10:50 am

Recent beer tasting notes....

Had a couple/three Pliny's...seemed not as good as in the past....still excellent though.

Seems Lagunitas does not put any dates on their beers....Latest bottle of "Sucks" by them seemed one dimensional to me ...probably lost all it's subtleties by not being fresh....Fresh "Sucks" is killer.

Modern Times Blazing World still continues to blow me away. Like liquid Art in a can.
Distributed by Stone distributers which goes up into the OC...not sure about LA. Find some...but stay off my spots kooks.

Tried a bomber of "Enjoy by"... Thought it was excellent.....especially the nose and back end.....but it reminded me of Blazing World....but like 50% less concentrated aromatics and missing the creamy mouth feel.

Warning* Magic Hat - #9
Saw this showing up lately on shelves.
Thought it might be decent coming from Vermont
IDK if they left this shipment sitting in the sun or what.
Tasted like toe cheese dirty dishwater, weird sweet and smoky that gagged me.
:obscene-drinkingcheers:
bluesquids
spearo

Postby Turtle » June 17th, 2014, 2:10 pm

Yessss!!!!!! My local craft beer spot just got in the good stuff!
Attachments
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby Bowhunter » June 17th, 2014, 4:47 pm

Stone does make some good beer,but we up north got some good ones also.
North coast : acme
Bear republic: racer5. Racer x
Loomis basin :IPA
Auburn ale house: Gold rush IPA.
Knee deep brewery: hoptopia
Just a few,but gotta keep looking.
Bowhunter
spearo

Postby Ben Weston » June 17th, 2014, 6:58 pm

Had a bomber of Enjoy By on the boat last night as the sun was setting with fresh Hamachi. It was quite possibly the best beer I've ever had. Probably had a lot to do with the atmosphere and stoke of the day but damn that shit is good!
Ben Weston
spearo

Postby Turtle » June 20th, 2014, 7:18 am

FJHIII wrote:I had my first Blind Pig, I liked it a lot.

I am still looking for some Pliny.

Blind pig is awesome! I'll snag you a bottle of the elder next time my usual spot gets it in if you want. He usually gets shipments in weekly.
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby LookPointShoot » June 20th, 2014, 12:20 pm

Flanders red ales.

All day
LookPointShoot
spearo

Postby Turtle » June 25th, 2014, 7:19 am

FJHIII wrote:
Turtle wrote:Blind pig is awesome! I'll snag you a bottle of the elder next time my usual spot gets it in if you want. He usually gets shipments in weekly.

If you do come across one, I would appreciate it.

Also, try the Tap Hunter app. We used it last night and found pliny on tap at a couple local spots up here in Tustin/OC.
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby Turtle » June 25th, 2014, 9:33 am

FJHIII wrote:
Turtle wrote:
FJHIII wrote:
Turtle wrote:Blind pig is awesome! I'll snag you a bottle of the elder next time my usual spot gets it in if you want. He usually gets shipments in weekly.

If you do come across one, I would appreciate it.

Also, try the Tap Hunter app. We used it last night and found pliny on tap at a couple local spots up here in Tustin/OC.

I live in Irvine (Culver/73).

I have used Tap Hunter, I did not think about searching for Pliny using the app. Thank you! Now if I could figure a way to get out of the house to try some on tap, I am too busy changing diapers (Mr. Mom style).

If you get a chance to get out, Tustin Brewery up on Newport Blvd has it on tap right now. Tried to stop in for a pint last night but we missed last call. Across the street is good liquor store called Bradleys fine wines and spirits that gets shipments of it in pretty often. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby Turtle » June 26th, 2014, 2:39 pm

FJHIII wrote:
abachar wrote:I'll pick up a growler of one of their sours on the way up as well as a couple of pliny. If you have any special requests from Russian River, I'll be happy to pick something up.

I found a bottle of a Russian River sour, it was awesome!

Nice! That liquor store I mentioned just got supplication, redemption and damnation in. I might go pick up a couple bottles after work.
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby Alex Ray » June 26th, 2014, 7:06 pm

Turtle wrote:Nice! That liquor store I mentioned just got supplication, redemption and damnation in. I might go pick up a couple bottles after work.

!!!! I love RR's sours! Never seen supplication or redemption down here, I don't think.
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » June 26th, 2014, 9:19 pm

I'm totally overwhelmed by this thread. It could be a full time job just trying to track down all the beers mentioned.

My wife and I went into BevMo the other day, and I couldn't even count the number of IPAs, much less recall which of them you guys have recommended.

Unfortunately, my wife is now fixated on Sculpin, even though I pointed out that is was almost twice as expensive as Lagunitas.

Oh well, at least she isn't one of those " a glass of white wine" women.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby bluesquids » June 27th, 2014, 4:01 pm

TGIF everyone.
Some recently consumed and next on deck.

Couple Belgian's...they were okay...I don't care for the spice so much.

Ruinten and Hoptimum I thought were very similar...both use 5 lbs of hops per barrel.
Both over 10% alcohol will sneak up on you....like two beers for the price of one....Hoptimum was more memorable for me.

Peanut butter milk stout by belching beaver...stouts are not my favorite style..I do enjoy them but they are so filling they tend to make me sleepy after a small glass..I usually have them as a nite cap. This bottle took me four nites to finish....I think the best glass by far was on the fourth night..the flavors really opened up and came through.

Fresh squeezed IPA...my kind of beer....lots of nose, balanced citrus, pine, fruity, dank, juicy and goes down easy. Bottle dated best by 9/9... Today is 6/27... So 2 1/2 months out...I bet if I found a really fresh batch it would rock my world.
Attachments
bluesquids
spearo

Postby Turtle » June 27th, 2014, 4:35 pm

bluesquids wrote:TGIF everyone.
Some recently consumed and next on deck.

Couple Belgian's...they were okay...I don't care for the spice so much.

Ruinten and Hoptimum I thought were very similar...both use 5 lbs of hops per barrel.
Both over 10% alcohol will sneak up on you....like two beers for the price of one....Hoptimum was more memorable for me.

Peanut butter milk stout by belching beaver...stouts are not my favorite style..I do enjoy them but they are so filling they tend to make me sleepy after a small glass..I usually have them as a nite cap. This bottle took me four nites to finish....I think the best glass by far was on the fourth night..the flavors really opened up and came through.

Fresh squeezed IPA...my kind of beer....lots of nose, balanced citrus, pine, fruity, dank, juicy and goes down easy. Bottle dated best by 9/9... Today is 6/27... So 2 1/2 months out...I bet if I found a really fresh batch it would rock my world.

Looks like we have similar tastes. Stopped by the store today to see if they had an pliny for Haffner. They were out but I did pick up some other stuff:
Attachments
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby bluesquids » June 27th, 2014, 5:09 pm

If you're into it...step up this thread by posting your "Good Living" food pairings and what music you might have playing.
After all....

"There cannot be good living where there is not good drinking."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Ben Franklin

Quick Shoyu Poke
No sesame seeds so used Trader Joes fried onion pieces on top...upgrade I'd say.
Pere Ubu....Saw twice At the casbah....one of the grandfathers of alt/art rock...
Chilli verde w / brown rice on the stove for later.
Attachments
bluesquids
spearo

Postby Ben Weston » July 9th, 2014, 1:10 pm

Did a family road trip into Colorado for my daughter's softball tournament. Stopped in at Tommy Knocker Brewery in a cool old mining town called Idaho Springs. Had their IPA and a 1/2 on tap and I liked it so much, I had to stop on the way home and pick up a 12'er in cans. If you're ever traveling through that way, it's definitely worth the time to stop. The best fish tacos I've ever had outside of those I make myself from a fresh kill.
Ben Weston
spearo

Postby BigJim » July 10th, 2014, 10:59 am

Beeer.... :obscene-drinkingcheers:

I'm an equal opportunity beer lover...I like light cheap beer right when I get out of the water or on real hot days, but also love IPAs.

There is a great BBQ joint just up the road from my house that has an awesome selction of craft beer on tap, excellent food, and live free blues every night.

If you are in the Santa Cruz area you should stop in...recently I have been able to get Stone RuinTen, Stone GotoIPA, Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA, Drakes Alpha Session IPA, bunch of Ninkasis, Anderson Valleys etc etc...

http://aptosstbbq.com/

Right down the road is burger. that has a real nice selection as well:

http://www.burgersantacruz.com/menu/beer/

And I'm lucky enough that when I go home to NOLA to visit my Dad there are usually four very nice beers on tap:

http://100beers30days.wordpress.com/200 ... n-a-comin/

:greetings-wavingyellow:

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

Postby Bill McIntyre » July 10th, 2014, 12:50 pm

Jim, it sounds like you live in beer heaven.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Infidel » July 11th, 2014, 4:58 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Infidel
polespearo

Postby Infidel » July 11th, 2014, 5:05 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Infidel
polespearo

Postby BigJim » July 12th, 2014, 7:00 am

That Ballast Point fest sounds AMAZING!!! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

I bought this nice Ninkasi Total Domination IPA yesterday AM hoping to get a pic of it on top of a big Halibut....

After 5+ hours and two different spots, I was forced to settle for shooting a monkey face on my way back in across the reef. :ugh:

Beer was great though!

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

Postby bluesquids » July 12th, 2014, 5:19 pm

Rest In Peace Tommy Ramone.
Thank You, Joey, Dee Dee, Johnny and Tommy.
And then there was none.
Never felt so sad listening to your music.
Tribute Calls for something with a bite.
Attachments
bluesquids
spearo

Postby Turtle » July 17th, 2014, 8:54 am

FJHIII wrote:Here are a couple of special beers that hit the shelves yesterday, I got mine from Whole Foods Newport Beach (see Mark):

Enjoy By

WOOT Stout 2.0 (VERY LIMITED RELEASE, LAST YEARS WAS AWESOME!)

Woot Stout!!! My local shop just got some in. I'll probably pick some up tomorrow!
Hteik

Turtle
kook

Postby bluesquids » July 19th, 2014, 2:57 pm

Meh...
Bit of a disappointment with this one for me.
Really wish I would of stuck with the spectacular hoppy goodness of "Swami's" or the refreshing crispyness of "Ponto".
With a name like "Chronic" you'd think it would be dank....but instead getiing a bit of rancid cheese in the nose and back end.
Attachments
bluesquids
spearo

Postby BigJim » July 24th, 2014, 11:19 am

Really enjoyed this Lagunitas Hop Stoopid yesterday!!

After very little sleep, a lot of driving, a lot of diving and paddling and diving and no food...the high ABV and hops had me feeling great!! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Or maybe that was the stoke from the fish? ;)

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

Postby Nate Baker » July 27th, 2014, 11:19 am

An article on the industry in this week's WSJ:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/craft-br ... 1406301243
Nate Baker
kook

Postby BigJim » August 4th, 2014, 8:36 am

Was in Fresno all last week for work. :'(

WAY too hot over there!!! :nuts:

But...found a great little bar that had a HUGE selection of killer beers, flights of IPAs and decent pizza:

http://bcspizzaandbeer.com/

This weekend was busy working OT and spending time with my family, but went to my local BBQ joint yetserday and had a pint of Stone Ruination while waiting to pick up some ribs.

Here is what they currently have on tap.

http://www.aptosstbbq.com/index.html

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

Postby Predator » August 4th, 2014, 10:24 am

If any of you live near Temecula there's a couple local breweries. Ironfire and refuge is a goo place to try. Ironfire had a lemon basil beer my wife enjoyed also had a IPL. Good stuff
Predator
noob

Postby squidhunter » August 7th, 2014, 11:05 pm

I'm a fan of all beer.

I do like IPA's like the rest of you. I also love mexican beer. :obscene-birdiedoublegreen:

Mammoth Brewing company, and Firestone are my current favorite brewing companies. I may be a bit bias though.
squidhunter
spearo

Postby davisdonnell » August 17th, 2014, 1:54 pm

Back up in Montana and after a long summer away, sipping on some of my favorites again.

Tamarack Brewing Co (Missoula, MT) has a seasonal and oh so delicious Brown Ale that is worth picking up if you find it.
Big Sky Brewing has a great *itty bitty* IPA, Pygmy Owl. Not as strong and was a good choice for my busy who is still shy of IPAs.
Also from Big Sky, Summer Honey. Honey wheat ale. My girlfriend's favorite and a close second to Moose Drool for BSB's best beer.
davisdonnell
spearo

Postby bluesquids » August 20th, 2014, 12:33 pm

Recent pours while processing some Abs from my Mendo trip last week.
Grapefruit Sculpin...for my taste a notch above regular Sculpin, much fruitier in a balanced natural way. Get Some, then get some more.
Cold Bore a local micro brewery by a ex navy diver...pretty good, by not as memoralble after the GF Sculpin.
Deviant Dales pretty damn excellent 8% IPA...To my dismay..didn't check the date and it was seven months old and yet still awesome..need to find a fresher one.
Mountain of Abalone steaks pounded and ready for immediate consumption.
Attachments
Last edited by bluesquids on August 21st, 2014, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluesquids
spearo

Postby VangysWay » August 20th, 2014, 2:53 pm

If anyone is ever in Denver, CO you have to go check out the Crooked Stave Brewery, they are hands down the best sours I have ever had in my life.
VangysWay
kook

Postby BigJim » August 21st, 2014, 8:21 am

Grapefruit?!! I'll have to keep my eyes open for that one!!

I was up in SF on Saturday night for my old college roommate's birthday party at the HiLoClub and they had some killer beers on tap.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/hi-lo-club-san-francisco

My favorites were the Sculpin and the Hoptologist Double IPA.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23200/75933/

Finsihing the night off with a Macallan 12 on the rocks didn't suck either...my wife was driving. ;)

:handgestures-thumbupleft:

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=620009

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

PreviousNext

Return to Sitting Topside