Land Hunting Thread...

Off-topic conversations, cool videos and news stories. We ask that you keep politics/religion and bickering OUT of this section.

Land Hunting Thread...

Postby Big_Berg » December 15th, 2014, 10:20 pm

After looking at the spearboard drama that is going on I've decided I don't really want to post on that forum and support that tool tony.

So.... I was hoping to get a land hunting thread going on here so I can share my passion for harvesting meat on land as well as sea. I primarily hjnt for meat and not trophy/sport.

I am typing this on my phone so please forgive any grammatical and spelling errors as my laptop is having issues and had to be sent back into the manufacturer

To get things started here is a short version of my muzzleloader either sex tag I filled a few days ago.

I burned my preferance points this year on an MA-1 either sex muzzleloader tag for slo county national Forrest. It's a short two week season and turned out to be one of the more challenging hunts.

I borrowed a black powder rifle from a family friend and enlisted a couple buddies to help me sight it in at the range. I was shooting pretty good and put two bullets through the same hole at 100yards. As fatigue set in getting beaten by the recoil I started doing my usual and flinching, pulling the shots low. I was confident that I could shoot the rifle and left the range feeling good.

I haven't done much hunting in the slo national Forrest so I put In A few scouting trips. Saw tracks and some old poo and ended up shooting a handful of quail. I hadn't actually put eyes on a deer during scouting. I quickly learned that the primo slo spots see way too many people. It was really stressful trying to find land with out boot tracks that had deer and wasn't out of my hunt zone. I found way more quail spots than deer spots in all of my scouting.

Opening weekend I decided to camp in the mountains and scout the a primo spot I shot quail in during my earlier pre season scout. The spot looked great with fresher deer tracks and a very very friendly bobcat. I hiked out excited to hit it at first light.

I got up from my camping spot and loaded up and head to the spot I wanted to hunt. I was super bummed to see a truck already there and it's two hours to sunrise. I loaded my gear quick and hit the trail anyway. I see their lights about a mile ahead on a hill side and can hear two guys yell talking. I did not want to get stuck behind these guys so I basically ran and speed hiked the nasty terrain and finally was able to pass them up on the trail while one guy was dropping a Duce. The guy wasn't happy to see me and not happy to see I was making it to the spot first, but I had put in way to much time in scouting this spot and camping out to get stuck behind these two clowns.

I hunted the spot and saw some fresh track, but no deer. I hiked way way back in to it glassed a deer way far away on a hill side under a tree. Long story short I spent 4 hours trying to bushwhack insanely thick brush (which turned out to be mostly poison oak) and then trying to hike almost verticals shale and gravel slope only to see the deer was on the next ridge and was basically impossible to get to. I ran out of water and hiked 4 miles back to the tuck trying not to drop. That was a long and miserable day which resulted in a hefty dose of poison oak basically everywhere.

I assumed either sex tag would be a two hour hunt but things started to look towards the contrary.

The next trip was ruined by the previous rains which resulted in the Forrest service closing down a large portion of roads ( which included all of the spots I scouted). I ended up hikin one spot and not seeing anything but quail and wishing I could go on the bordering private land. I drove to another location and only saw dirt bikers so I bailed. That was a low point in my quest to harvest a deer on this muzzle loader tag. I was pretty much ready to give up.

I had made plans with a buddy that if I hadn't bagged a deer by the last couple days of the season we would head to another secret spot we had heard about. I was trying to talk my buddy into hunting bunnies in another spot to drown my feelings of failure but my mkns was persuaded to head to the secret spot we had heard of for a two day hunt.

So the final two days of the short two week season are here and I find myself waking up at 2am and getting ready to go. We get to the spot and start hiking at 5am. The hike was brutal to say the least. When daylight came we looked around at the beautiful hills and said to eachother that deer should be everywhere, next corner we round my buddy spots two deer 250 yards away. The max tange on the black powder muzzle loader is 150 yards and that's a stretch. The deer were in a hard spot to stalk and ended up creating the ridge before I got in shooting range and view.

My buddy also saw a few deer about three miles away. This spot looked good and it made sense seeing mountain lion tracks out there.

We hiked more and I spotted two deer over a mile away. My buddy had to talk me Out of chasing them down as I hadn't seen much of any deer while hunting this tag and I was ready to get on a doe. We kept walking and I spot two does bedded down. Long story short I get with In 146 yards and sit down and wait to see if they get up or if I have time to get closer. 146 yards is pushing my range. The does start to get up not spooked at all just moving on and I know I only have one shot at this. I aim and fire. I forgot to compensate for the massive bullet drop at 150 and it hits low. The deer cringes and I know it's a hit. She warbles around and lays down out of my view. I mess up my reload on the black powder pushing the bullet down the barrel and end up burning two primers trying to put in a second shot.

My buddy comes over and we se her laying down looking dead with her head on the ground eyes closed. We wait quite a while before taking the higher slope to go see. We ended up bumping her and I so stupidly shot and missed just behind her( I was aiming a foot in front). Shit! That was my last primer. We sit on the hillside watching and I'm sick to my stomach with my screw up. I was hating my self pretty hard and we brainstorm what we can do to dispatch her asap. Unfortunately this is a reality of hunting. I notice he had a couple shot gun shells in his side pouch of his pack. I knew that the primers were the same so we began to deconstruct the shell removing the powder and shot and pushing the primer out. Success! I have a primer and it looks like it's going to fit.

I reload my last load of powder and my last bullet along which the jerry rigged primer. I stalk up to this giant rock that the deer is just under and lay prone on top. I am 25 yards away or so and make a nice clean shot at the base of the head/brain stem and she drops dead instantly.

Finalllly!!!!!!!

I gather my gear and we head down to snap a couple pics and get to gutting. I wanted to pack her out whole to show my daughter who loves this kind of stuff. It's was a heavier pack on a painful hike but worth it to see her eyes light up and yelling,"yummy deer, yummy dinner!"

I put a low gut shot In her from long range and I felt really pissed at my self but I was able to get her down cleanly at the end. Muzzleloader hunting was harder than I was thinking it would be. I hunted this tag so hard and mostly solo. I was happy to have a good buddy there to experience harvesting this deer with me.

The pack out was brutal but putting some meat in the barren freezer felt soooo good. The Doe was super lean but still has some quality meat on her. She was the smallest deer I've harvested but one of the harder earned.
Attachments
Last edited by Big_Berg on December 15th, 2014, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big_Berg
spearo

Re: Land Hunting Thread...

Postby Big_Berg » December 15th, 2014, 10:24 pm

Pre season scouting bob cat. Let me get under 10 ft away and still wasn't very skittish.
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » December 15th, 2014, 10:25 pm

Pre season scouting trip with bonus quail along the trail
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » December 15th, 2014, 10:26 pm

Big ass tarantula I found by my truck after a long day scouting
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » December 15th, 2014, 10:31 pm

Almost vertical hillsides where I spotted the doe on the first hunt. She was on the second farthest ridge and it was way to steep far and thick to get over there. It's hard to tell but that brush is double over head In height.
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » December 15th, 2014, 10:37 pm

Some of the meat
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » December 15th, 2014, 10:39 pm

Did a little burger mixed with some beef fat I've been saving in the freezer from work. The doe had zero fat on her and like my buddy said," if you lived in that country up there you would have zero fat too."
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Steve G » December 16th, 2014, 1:08 pm

Very nice. I particularly envy you for the quail. How many points did you need to burn up for that hunt.
Steve G
kook

Postby Big_Berg » December 16th, 2014, 2:14 pm

5-6 points

I was really surprised on the quail, I'm fairly confident I could have pulled a limit if I was focusing on quail.
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Steve G » December 16th, 2014, 4:57 pm

Damn! You could have done a incredible back country hunt in X-12 or something like that with all those points. I don't say that because the deer have bigger headgear but its just incredible country to spen a few days in back packing or on horse back. All the same though it looks like you had a great hunt with nice sea views and success. Congratulations.
Steve G
kook

Postby Big_Berg » December 16th, 2014, 10:48 pm

Thank you for your kind words! It would be nice to hunt an x zone but I was hoping to make this a quick local meat deer tag.
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Hookin » December 17th, 2014, 1:35 am

Congrats on the hunt! That doe should be tasty.
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby Albondiga » December 17th, 2014, 12:30 pm

That was a fun experience to share. Thanks for letting me tag along and help with spotting. I marvel that you typed that whole thing out on your phone.

Now lets get some diving in!
Attachments
The moment of impact on the video.
Ridge top.
Shooting down at the doe.
Albondiga
spearo

Postby Albondiga » December 17th, 2014, 1:08 pm

With all the rain we had, all the prints we saw were really fresh. That includes this mountain lion track that crossed the trail.
Attachments
Mountain lion print.
Albondiga
spearo

Postby GreasyGar » December 22nd, 2014, 11:13 am

Hey guys, I live for winter in Louisiana because of hunting season. Glad I found this thread! I'll post some pics of some recent kills. We hunt it all, deer and hogs (which are everywhere), to waterfowl and upland birds. Very jealous of all of the quail yall get, and I think your duck season is twice as long as ours? BUT we can shoot hogs at night and hunt with suppressors etc. Anyway, I'll contribute some pics now that I have rambled.
Thanks!
Trey
Attachments
Fred and many future dinners
Nice speck hunt with a couple sky carp
Perfect eating size got on the run
GreasyGar
spearo

Postby Albondiga » December 22nd, 2014, 11:36 am

GreasyGar wrote:Hey guys, I live for winter in Louisiana because of hunting season. Glad I found this thread! I'll post some pics of some recent kills. We hunt it all, deer and hogs (which are everywhere), to waterfowl and upland birds. Very jealous of all of the quail yall get, and I think your duck season is twice as long as ours? BUT we can shoot hogs at night and hunt with suppressors etc. Anyway, I'll contribute some pics now that I have rambled.
Thanks!
Trey

I wish we could hunt pigs at night. All the pigs coming into our trail cam are in the dead of night. It is frustrating to see all the rooting and prints, only to have the cam verifying they are only there at midnight.

I went out Saturday looking for bandtail pigeons. Early start, but it was raining at the spot, not to mention the dozen cars there full of hunters. We did not see any birds flying (or sitting), so we bailed a little early and went to a quail spot. Found a few quail, shot one. It was my first time getting checked by a warden on land, wardens were thick out there on Saturday.

Anyone find any bandtailed pigeons this weekend?
Albondiga
spearo

Postby GavinTexas » December 29th, 2014, 5:09 pm

Nice lookin animals everyone.

I had a bit of luck in New Mexico this year. Both DIY public land hunts :)

I still need to type up the story and when I do I'll post a full write-up on here.

GavinTexas
spearo

Postby Namor » December 29th, 2014, 9:40 pm

Nice write up you did; thats a lot to enter into a phone. Congrats on filling your tag despite the challenges.

Im extremely sensitive/ allergic to poison oak and have had the most relief from its agony of itchiness, using lydocaine and benzocaine sprays such as Solarcaine, and from using prescription strength (from my Dermatologist) lubriphenolmenthol. I once made it myself when I couldnt get into see my doctor, with over the counter ingredients and botanical extracts. Its basically lotion (hydrophelic base) with alcohol and menthol (camphor extract). It cools, numbs and drys out the areas of reaction.

You might try it and or run it past your MD if you are really in a bad way.

Jeremy
Namor
kook

Postby Big_Berg » December 29th, 2014, 11:31 pm

GavinTexas wrote:Nice lookin animals everyone.

I had a bit of luck in New Mexico this year. Both DIY public land hunts :)

I still need to type up the story and when I do I'll post a full write-up on here.

Nice speed goat!

That buck is a monster, I'm very jealous. I dream of hunting out of state, CA is a tough place to hunt if you don't have private land access. I'm interested in hearing how you came to decide on NM and what went into planning.
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » December 29th, 2014, 11:36 pm

Namor wrote:Nice write up you did; thats a lot to enter into a phone. Congrats on filling your tag despite the challenges.

Im extremely sensitive/ allergic to poison oak and have had the most relief from its agony of itchiness, using lydocaine and benzocaine sprays such as Solarcaine, and from using prescription strength (from my Dermatologist) lubriphenolmenthol. I once made it myself when I couldnt get into see my doctor, with over the counter ingredients and botanical extracts. Its basically lotion (hydrophelic base) with alcohol and menthol (camphor extract). It cools, numbs and drys out the areas of reaction.

You might try it and or run it past your MD if you are really in a bad way.

Jeremy

Thanks for the intel! I get poison oak but I can usually manage. I remember one getting it on my "boys" and didn't sleep for like two days and finally passed out from exhaustion.

My mom gave me this stuff and it did an amazing job on removing the rushiol. It was amazing to see the difference from where I applied it and where I didn't. You basically scrub this gritty stuff the exposes the oil while another agent takes it away. Feels like sand paper but is totally worth it.
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » December 29th, 2014, 11:42 pm

I hit my local spot I haven't visited since last year and found a ton of bear tracks and poo all over. I also bumped a ton of quail that kept exploding everywhere. I shot a couple and lost one and left the area with out to much pressure in hopes of bringing a buddy there. I think I may buy a bear tag next season if I keep seeing this much sign.
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » December 29th, 2014, 11:43 pm

Bear print.

It looked like a couple bears were in the area.
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Albondiga » January 3rd, 2015, 5:10 pm

Big_Berg wrote:After looking at the spearboard drama that is going on I've decided I don't really want to post on that forum and support that tool tony.

So.... I was hoping to get a land hunting thread going on here so I can share my passion for harvesting meat on land as well as sea. I primarily hjnt for meat and not trophy/sport.

I am typing this on my phone so please forgive any grammatical and spelling errors as my laptop is having issues and had to be sent back into the manufacturer

To get things started here is a short version of my muzzleloader either sex tag I filled a few days ago.

I burned my preferance points this year on an MA-1 either sex muzzleloader tag for slo county national Forrest. It's a short two week season and turned out to be one of the more challenging hunts.

I borrowed a black powder rifle from a family friend and enlisted a couple buddies to help me sight it in at the range. I was shooting pretty good and put two bullets through the same hole at 100yards. As fatigue set in getting beaten by the recoil I started doing my usual and flinching, pulling the shots low. I was confident that I could shoot the rifle and left the range feeling good.

I haven't done much hunting in the slo national Forrest so I put In A few scouting trips. Saw tracks and some old poo and ended up shooting a handful of quail. I hadn't actually put eyes on a deer during scouting. I quickly learned that the primo slo spots see way too many people. It was really stressful trying to find land with out boot tracks that had deer and wasn't out of my hunt zone. I found way more quail spots than deer spots in all of my scouting.

Opening weekend I decided to camp in the mountains and scout the a primo spot I shot quail in during my earlier pre season scout. The spot looked great with fresher deer tracks and a very very friendly bobcat. I hiked out excited to hit it at first light.

I got up from my camping spot and loaded up and head to the spot I wanted to hunt. I was super bummed to see a truck already there and it's two hours to sunrise. I loaded my gear quick and hit the trail anyway. I see their lights about a mile ahead on a hill side and can hear two guys yell talking. I did not want to get stuck behind these guys so I basically ran and speed hiked the nasty terrain and finally was able to pass them up on the trail while one guy was dropping a Duce. The guy wasn't happy to see me and not happy to see I was making it to the spot first, but I had put in way to much time in scouting this spot and camping out to get stuck behind these two clowns.

I hunted the spot and saw some fresh track, but no deer. I hiked way way back in to it glassed a deer way far away on a hill side under a tree. Long story short I spent 4 hours trying to bushwhack insanely thick brush (which turned out to be mostly poison oak) and then trying to hike almost verticals shale and gravel slope only to see the deer was on the next ridge and was basically impossible to get to. I ran out of water and hiked 4 miles back to the tuck trying not to drop. That was a long and miserable day which resulted in a hefty dose of poison oak basically everywhere.

I assumed either sex tag would be a two hour hunt but things started to look towards the contrary.

The next trip was ruined by the previous rains which resulted in the Forrest service closing down a large portion of roads ( which included all of the spots I scouted). I ended up hikin one spot and not seeing anything but quail and wishing I could go on the bordering private land. I drove to another location and only saw dirt bikers so I bailed. That was a low point in my quest to harvest a deer on this muzzle loader tag. I was pretty much ready to give up.

I had made plans with a buddy that if I hadn't bagged a deer by the last couple days of the season we would head to another secret spot we had heard about. I was trying to talk my buddy into hunting bunnies in another spot to drown my feelings of failure but my mkns was persuaded to head to the secret spot we had heard of for a two day hunt.

So the final two days of the short two week season are here and I find myself waking up at 2am and getting ready to go. We get to the spot and start hiking at 5am. The hike was brutal to say the least. When daylight came we looked around at the beautiful hills and said to eachother that deer should be everywhere, next corner we round my buddy spots two deer 250 yards away. The max tange on the black powder muzzle loader is 150 yards and that's a stretch. The deer were in a hard spot to stalk and ended up creating the ridge before I got in shooting range and view.

My buddy also saw a few deer about three miles away. This spot looked good and it made sense seeing mountain lion tracks out there.

We hiked more and I spotted two deer over a mile away. My buddy had to talk me Out of chasing them down as I hadn't seen much of any deer while hunting this tag and I was ready to get on a doe. We kept walking and I spot two does bedded down. Long story short I get with In 146 yards and sit down and wait to see if they get up or if I have time to get closer. 146 yards is pushing my range. The does start to get up not spooked at all just moving on and I know I only have one shot at this. I aim and fire. I forgot to compensate for the massive bullet drop at 150 and it hits low. The deer cringes and I know it's a hit. She warbles around and lays down out of my view. I mess up my reload on the black powder pushing the bullet down the barrel and end up burning two primers trying to put in a second shot.

My buddy comes over and we se her laying down looking dead with her head on the ground eyes closed. We wait quite a while before taking the higher slope to go see. We ended up bumping her and I so stupidly shot and missed just behind her( I was aiming a foot in front). Shit! That was my last primer. We sit on the hillside watching and I'm sick to my stomach with my screw up. I was hating my self pretty hard and we brainstorm what we can do to dispatch her asap. Unfortunately this is a reality of hunting. I notice he had a couple shot gun shells in his side pouch of his pack. I knew that the primers were the same so we began to deconstruct the shell removing the powder and shot and pushing the primer out. Success! I have a primer and it looks like it's going to fit.

I reload my last load of powder and my last bullet along which the jerry rigged primer. I stalk up to this giant rock that the deer is just under and lay prone on top. I am 25 yards away or so and make a nice clean shot at the base of the head/brain stem and she drops dead instantly.

Finalllly!!!!!!!

I gather my gear and we head down to snap a couple pics and get to gutting. I wanted to pack her out whole to show my daughter who loves this kind of stuff. It's was a heavier pack on a painful hike but worth it to see her eyes light up and yelling,"yummy deer, yummy dinner!"

I put a low gut shot In her from long range and I felt really pissed at my self but I was able to get her down cleanly at the end. Muzzleloader hunting was harder than I was thinking it would be. I hunted this tag so hard and mostly solo. I was happy to have a good buddy there to experience harvesting this deer with me.

The pack out was brutal but putting some meat in the barren freezer felt soooo good. The Doe was super lean but still has some quality meat on her. She was the smallest deer I've harvested but one of the harder earned.

The video I stitched together from this trip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Z80P8HqPw
Albondiga
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » January 18th, 2015, 9:34 pm

Hit a magically jack rabbit spot I heard about and was not let down. I saw dozens and dozens of rabbits. I had my shot gun with a full choke and some #5s. It was tricky to get in range, but I still managed 6. Most of my shots were long ramge double taps and most of the time the bunny would still be kicking as I ran up and stepped on it's head. Next time I'm bringing the 22. I still managed 6, and could have shot a lot more but I called it early and headed home.
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » January 22nd, 2015, 9:04 am

I put half of the jack loins in milk to soak for over 12 hours. The milk turned a chocolate milky color. All or most of the livery flavor leached out. They went in the crock pot with seasoning, stock, spices, and chipotle. When they were done I took them out from the liquid and shredded the meat. I lubricated with a hefty dose of BBQ sauce and put it on a pretzel roll. It was absolutely amAzingly delicious. Very similar to deer. My wife and kids gobbled it up!
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby AJP » January 22nd, 2015, 10:23 am

Pretzel roll BBQ sandwich looks delish!
Aaron P.
AJP
prick

Postby Albondiga » February 13th, 2015, 11:28 am

Edited my video of the turkey I shot in the Fall. After a full year of chasing these things (when the swell was up and wind blowing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDlDKorUS3w
Albondiga
spearo

Postby Hookin » February 13th, 2015, 9:37 pm

Albondiga wrote:Edited my video of the turkey I shot in the Fall. After a full year of chasing these things (when the swell was up and wind blowing).

I like your video. Its nice to see more then just a kill shot. Your cats at the end where having a great time I'm sure. Congrats on your bird.
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby Steve G » February 13th, 2015, 10:54 pm

Albondiga wrote:Edited my video of the turkey I shot in the Fall. After a full year of chasing these things (when the swell was up and wind blowing).

Congratulations on the Turkey. I've never pursued them but those were some beautiful mature Toms in your video. Colors were awesome!
Steve G
kook

Postby GavinTexas » February 25th, 2015, 5:58 pm

Wyoming Elk results (for Non-Residents) will be available tomorrow/are available today if you can actually get the state auditor site to work. Anyone else apply? Looks like I drew the cow tag and will get a preference point for next year. Will be hunting unit 98 in September :)
GavinTexas
spearo

Postby Hookin » February 25th, 2015, 7:22 pm

Never hunted Elk before but I have been applying every year for California Tule elk. Maybe one day I will get one. Good luck with your cow tag.
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby Maguimaraes » February 25th, 2015, 9:12 pm

Nice to see all the pics/vids and stories, I'll be going for my hunter safety class this saturday and hope to be able to contribute to this tread soon!
Maguimaraes
spearo

Postby Albondiga » February 26th, 2015, 7:57 am

Maguimaraes wrote:Nice to see all the pics/vids and stories, I'll be going for my hunter safety class this saturday and hope to be able to contribute to this tread soon!

Nice. It is fun to have something to pursue when the water is rough.
Albondiga
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » February 26th, 2015, 7:42 pm

Maguimaraes wrote:Nice to see all the pics/vids and stories, I'll be going for my hunter safety class this saturday and hope to be able to contribute to this tread soon!

If you thought mpas were bad, local spots over crowded, finding person with a boat is hard, and less fish/bugs around... Welcome to land hunting!!

100x harder but when you do succeed it's 100x better.
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Hookin » February 26th, 2015, 11:50 pm

Big_Berg wrote:

If you thought mpas were bad, local spots over crowded, finding person with a boat is hard, and less fish/bugs around... Welcome to land hunting!!

Lol. They say if you can hunt deer consistently here you can hunt them anywhere. Be ready to burn gas and some soles off your shoes to find spots. Marcelo we can chat next time and i can give you some local info which my or may not be of any help but should get you in the right direction.
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby Maguimaraes » March 1st, 2015, 10:03 am

Big_Berg wrote:

I know I'm in for a hard one...I actually wanted to start hunting even before I started diving but figured it would be easier to start hunting in the water since I already spend a lot of time surfing...

Passed my test with a 100% score and the prize was a cool orange hat! Now I am ready to land hunt! LOL
Maguimaraes
spearo

Postby Maguimaraes » March 1st, 2015, 10:05 am

Sounds good Alex, I'll take any scraps you guys are willing to share or leave behind! :D
Hookin wrote:
Big_Berg wrote:

Lol. They say if you can hunt deer consistently here you can hunt them anywhere. Be ready to burn gas and some soles off your shoes to find spots. Marcelo we can chat next time and i can give you some local info which my or may not be of any help but should get you in the right direction.
Maguimaraes
spearo

Postby Maguimaraes » March 1st, 2015, 10:06 am

I really like that vid Andrew...your narration reminds me of some surfing videos...
Maguimaraes
spearo

Postby Albondiga » March 2nd, 2015, 11:51 am

Maguimaraes wrote:

I really like that vid Andrew...your narration reminds me of some surfing videos...

Thanks, I have a bunch of videos in the works so I hope my narration is not too dull.
Albondiga
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » March 2nd, 2015, 4:40 pm

Video came out really well. I'm not sure about how Jim photo posed you though. You'll just have to shoot another one so I can show you. ;)
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby 'o cino » January 8th, 2016, 9:57 pm

It's been a good season this winter, a bit challenging as it's public land. Freezer's full :)

How'd everyone else do in other areas.

Michael Dong "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion..."
Los Pistoleros
Sportsko Ribolovno Drustvo "Umag"
Centro Pordenonese Sommozzatori
'o cino
spearo

Postby Steve G » January 8th, 2016, 10:57 pm

Nice White tail. I've been trying to put a trip together to bag one with archery in NJ.

Season has been good. Got my first two blue grouse (sooty grouse California) and first antelope (Wyoming). Both very tasty.
Attachments
Steve G
kook

Postby 'o cino » January 10th, 2016, 11:29 am

Steve, that is a phenomenal Goat, congrats! If you're near Maryland next season, drop a line, as I'll be hunting bow and there's plenty of Whitetails here.
Michael Dong "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion..."
Los Pistoleros
Sportsko Ribolovno Drustvo "Umag"
Centro Pordenonese Sommozzatori
'o cino
spearo

Postby GavinTexas » January 15th, 2016, 5:54 pm

That's an awesome speedgoat!

I ended up with a cow elk from WY 2 months ago. Working on my applications for this year. Thinking of putting in for a cow tag in one of the quality units and hunting the archery season with a buddy.

Got a duck hunt tomorrow morning, a whitetail doe hunt in 2 weeks, a blackbuck doe hunt in 3 weeks, and a night hog hunt whenever I want to cash in on the deposit I put down. Should be a good winter before I start studying for the professional engineer exam and stop doing fun things for 2 months!

After the exam I plan on getting in some diving trips too! Getting bored out here, although I pole-speared a mouse in my backyard today which kept me entertained for a few min and made the wife happy! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
GavinTexas
spearo

Postby Steve G » January 18th, 2016, 5:23 pm

Thanks for the comments mike and Gavin. And thanks for the offer to swing by Maryland.

I hunt more for meat, experience and adventure than for the trophy though seeing trophy animals does excite me.

Gavin, you should definitely build points in WY for a trophy hunt. You likely already know, but if you put in for a trophy hunt for the point you can still apply for any other hunt as second choice and if you are successful in getting the 2nd choice hunt you won't lose the points. That's what we did with the antelope hunt. I still have 5 points and I will be doing the same with elk and deer.

Good luck guys. I like seeing my fellow spearos score in boots and waders as well as in wet-suits.
Steve G
kook

Postby GavinTexas » January 19th, 2016, 7:06 pm

To draw a max points unit in WY would literally take maybe 40 years or longer of building points so I'm not too worried about it. Planning on buying another deer preference point though and hunting G or H sometime (or whatever else is good at the time). If I end up wanting a trophy hunt I'll probably look at drawing a general tag and either going with an outfitter or spending some serious time scouting and hunting. Looking at the draw odds I'm having a hard time finding many decent options for a second choice. Any suggestions would be appreciated though if you're seeing something I'm missing.

Right now I can draw a full price cow tag with our combined points (1.5) for supposedly one of the best units in the state right now (looking at either thirty one or thirty two).

We had some fun duck hunting and I polespeared another varmint in my backyard the other night. Once I have a slow day at work I'll upload some recent pics of my trips.

Cheers!
GavinTexas
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » January 19th, 2016, 8:40 pm

Wow congrats to all that scored on big game! I didn't have time this year for big game bud did make a few small game trips. One in particular was epic and resulted in a buddy and I shooting 16 rabbits ( 2 limits of cotton tails and 6 jacks). Not bad for only hunting for a couple hours. We stuffed a cooler to the brim and spent more of the day cleaning rabbits.
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » January 19th, 2016, 8:44 pm

Next trip was a solo run while the kids were in school. I would only get two hours max to hunt and it's a two hour drive to the spot. I spent more time driving than hunting, but I shot a solid mixed bag. Ended up with 4 cotton tail, 2 jacks, 8 quail, and 3 dove in just under two hours. Could've limited on quail but I was worried about getting to the kids on time. This trip was also a bit nippy as the temp was 17 when I pulled up and the ground was very slippery with ice and frost
Attachments
Last edited by Big_Berg on January 19th, 2016, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » January 19th, 2016, 8:50 pm

Did another trip back to the spot in hopes of getting a buddy his first bunny. It was the worst day I've seen out there, didn't see many rabbits and the ones we did see were way out of range. We saw a ton of predator tracks of pretty much every kind (including mountain lion). Also seemed like breeding time as one jack was lactating and another prego. Ended up with four and my buddy did get his first!. I am giving the spot a rest for atleast a year as it's been so good to me. Wasn't stoked on the prego one but that's hunting. Didn't take any pics after performing the rabbit abortion, so the story will have to do.
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » January 19th, 2016, 8:53 pm

Second trips late morning frost pic.
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Next

Return to Sitting Topside