Land Hunting Thread...

Off-topic conversations, cool videos and news stories. We ask that you keep politics/religion and bickering OUT of this section.

Re: Land Hunting Thread...

Postby Steve G » January 19th, 2016, 10:09 pm

Gavin:

We ended up buying a key piece of land that borders 21 square miles of landlocked BLM and State land, so not only do we always have a place to hunt with low pressure, we can get several goat tags each year over the counter easy. And mule deer are almost as easy to draw probably like every other year.

Anyway, as a result I have been pouring over the draw and success statistics, I didn't think it took 40 points, for trophy elk, but I could be wrong. If I see something worth sharing I'll send you a PM.

My hunting partner and I have enough points to draw MD in G&H so we will probably be doing that in 2017. It looks like beautiful country.
Steve G
kook

Postby Steve G » January 19th, 2016, 10:13 pm

Hey Berg:

That rabbit hunt looks great. I am hoping that the quail, chucker and bunny populations rebound nicely following these rains. I haven't shot any of those here in CA in quite some time. Nice work. When I do get some I'll PM you for a rabbit recipe.
Steve G
kook

Postby GavinTexas » January 20th, 2016, 7:01 pm

Steve G wrote:Gavin:

We ended up buying a key piece of land that borders 21 square miles of landlocked BLM and State land, so not only do we always have a place to hunt with low pressure, we can get several goat tags each year over the counter easy. And mule deer are almost as easy to draw probably like every other year.

Anyway, as a result I have been pouring over the draw and success statistics, I didn't think it took 40 points, for trophy elk, but I could be wrong. If I see something worth sharing I'll send you a PM.

My hunting partner and I have enough points to draw MD in G&H so we will probably be doing that in 2017. It looks like beautiful country.

Max points is only 10 currently but being 8 points behind the curve can take awhile to draw as there are ~200,000 people who have more points than me.
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content ... TS_EDA.pdf

What part of the state is your land in? I keep looking on landsofwyoming.com and often see some pretty cheap land although some of it's pretty barren. Do you get a landowner antelope tag or are they draw tags?
GavinTexas
spearo

Postby Ramin » January 20th, 2016, 8:03 pm

Nice thread. I especially like the rabbit hunting pics. Its always such a blast shooting those things while they dart through the brush.
I did a bit of hunting this year. Went to Alaska in August looking for bear but didn't find what we were after. Made it to TX in December and shot a few deer and turkeys.
Attachments
Ramin
polespearo

Postby Steve G » January 20th, 2016, 8:49 pm

We are outside of Casper. We only bought 40 acres, so no landowner tags. But because all of the public land in the GMU is surrounded by private land and there are no public easements or roads to it nobody bothers drawing since there's no access. We got lucky on the deal. No parcels adjoining the public land were available until one guy couldn't make his mortgage payments. Most of the guys in the group don't even bother drawing. They just buy over the counter. Some guys had three tags.

Barren is fine if its antelope your after. Most of the true monsters we saw on the drive up were in really bleak looking landscapes, think Bombay beach on the way to Wister.

BTW I am interested in buying more strategically located parcels not necessarily just in WY, so if you find something attractive and you want some partners drop me a PM.

GavinTexas wrote:
Max points is only 10 currently but being 8 points behind the curve can take awhile to draw as there are ~200,000 people who have more points than me.
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content ... TS_EDA.pdf

What part of the state is your land in? I keep looking on landsofwyoming.com and often see some pretty cheap land although some of it's pretty barren. Do you get a landowner antelope tag or are they draw tags?
Steve G
kook

Postby SBH2Oman » March 10th, 2016, 1:59 pm

Great thread - thanks Big_Berg for pointing me here. I'm getting back into hunting after a ~30 year hiatus, and man things have changed. Lots of new, complicated BS to learn (thanks, California legislature...) And MAN its a lot more expensive than when I was a kid! (over $20 for a pig tag???). At least the idiots in Sacramento haven't imposed a bag limit (yet)...

I don't have a copy of my old license from my pre-digital college days, so I'm re-taking the hunter safety classes along with my 16 year-old son. Basically I'm back to "noob" status, which for a 50 year old guy can be a bit humbling... That being said, I'm fired up about getting back in the 'game' and this thread gives me hope that there's game to be had here in California. It will be great to have another expensive, gear-heavy hobby to keep me occupied during the off-season for spearing. And it gives more meaning to the weekend paper-punching sessions at the range :D

As a kid in Carmel Valley I grew up around pig and deer hunting and also did a very small amount of quail and dove. Shot (and ate) a lot of rabbits when I was in college in San Diego back in the early 80's (I was so broke it was a main source of protein).

I've got a good buddy who convinced me to get a 50 cal inline muzzleloader, so I'll be joining him for the next special deer season (whether I get a tag or not) to learn what I can.

Hopefully I'll be contributing pictures to this thread within a few months...
------------------------------
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » March 11th, 2016, 12:37 pm

SBH2Oman wrote:Great thread - thanks Big_Berg for pointing me here. I'm getting back into hunting after a ~30 year hiatus, and man things have changed. Lots of new, complicated BS to learn (thanks, California legislature...) And MAN its a lot more expensive than when I was a kid! (over $20 for a pig tag???). At least the idiots in Sacramento haven't imposed a bag limit (yet)...

I don't have a copy of my old license from my pre-digital college days, so I'm re-taking the hunter safety classes along with my 16 year-old son. Basically I'm back to "noob" status, which for a 50 year old guy can be a bit humbling... That being said, I'm fired up about getting back in the 'game' and this thread gives me hope that there's game to be had here in California. It will be great to have another expensive, gear-heavy hobby to keep me occupied during the off-season for spearing. And it gives more meaning to the weekend paper-punching sessions at the range :D

As a kid in Carmel Valley I grew up around pig and deer hunting and also did a very small amount of quail and dove. Shot (and ate) a lot of rabbits when I was in college in San Diego back in the early 80's (I was so broke it was a main source of protein).

I've got a good buddy who convinced me to get a 50 cal inline muzzleloader, so I'll be joining him for the next special deer season (whether I get a tag or not) to learn what I can.

Hopefully I'll be contributing pictures to this thread within a few months...

Glad you found the thread. Let me know if you have any local questions. Hit me up via PM. Always interested in putting some meat in the freezer.
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby CaptainLeo » September 9th, 2016, 4:00 pm

Was able to finally get my first deer. Nothing too dramatic about the hunt. We were able to get within 100 yards of him and I got him right in the lung. The bullet proceeded to blow apart the spine and destroy the right lung dropping it right in it's tracks. He was pretty young, but had a pretty big body. Nice set of forked antlers, also.
Attachments
CaptainLeo
spearo

Postby GavinTexas » September 10th, 2016, 8:26 am

Nice Leo! Congrats man.

I got another cow tag in Wyoming this year. Gonna hunt with my bow so we'll see how that goes...

Should be a fun trip anyways though!
GavinTexas
spearo

Postby CaptainLeo » September 10th, 2016, 9:36 am

Right on, Gavin. I'm still waiting to see if I'm going to make it back up to Wyoming this year, it all depends on my buddy's schedule. Cow/calf tags are all over the counter for that area as most of the zone is private property. There are always plenty of leftover tags available.
CaptainLeo
spearo

Postby GavinTexas » October 7th, 2016, 12:05 pm

Back from my trip.

Didn't end up putting one down this year (buddy did) but probably one of my favorite hunts ever.

We hunted one of Wyomings top units on cow tags that required a point to draw.

I'm not the wordsmith some of you guys are so I'm just gonna post the pics with some brief descriptions.

We left TX around 9AM Friday 9/23 and headed towards Amarillo for the first night. I'd already stayed up til almost Midnight the night before fixing my car because my buddies truck we were going to take broke down Thursday afternoon. I drive a Toyota SUV with ~225k miles on it and it's been a great car although the tailgate has been stuck closed the last few months. Anyways around 11:30PM I get it fixed and finished packing up my stuff. I got up Friday and went to work for an hour then headed home to meet my buddy. We got the stuff loaded up and started heading towards Amarillo for the first nights stay (almost half the driving in one day and we didn't even make it out of TX!).

Had a great dinner at the Big Texan and also were fortunate enough to enjoy some great beverages as we were staying in the attached motel. After dinner we went to get our stuff from the car for the night and as I roll down my back window I hear a popping noise and realize that my tailgate no longer even latches!!! At this point it's 10PM and we're drunk in the parking lot trying to figure out WTF to do. The guns and stuff can come inside with us but the bows and camping gear are all buried in the back so we don't really want to just leave it overnight. We end up breaking out the tools and for the second night in a row I get to work taking the tailgate apart. 30 minutes later I get the latch working but it still won't lock. Satisfied at this point that it will at least stay closed while were driving we get someone to back the car up against a pole for us and get a few hours sleep.

Halfway there and we hit our first new state!

Didn't take long to get to the next one though.

Get up early Saturday and make it the rest of the way to Rock Springs, WY for our last night in civilization. The drive was pretty uneventful but there are a ton of people in Denver which led to some weekend traffic. :(

Finally made it to the last state!

We hit up a local restaurant/brewery for a solid meal and some beers and then hit the sack to get up early the next morning and finish our drive.

About 45 minutes into our drive we spot a massive heard of elk crossing the road heading towards our unit which was nice to see with the sun coming up. I'd never been to this area before so it was encouraging to already be seeing animals. One of my biggest reasons for wanting to burn my 2 preference points on a cow tag was that on my previous deer and elk hunts, while I'd been fortunate enough to harvest some great animals, the animals that I ended up taking were the only ones I saw on either of those hunts. I'd done quite a bit of research on this area and from everything I'd heard it more or less has a big game infestation. (I would come to agree with that by the end of my time there).

No pics of the elk crossing the road but here's looking towards our unit off the side of the road.

The area we hunted is not really mountainous but more a series of drainages and steep hills which made it great for glassing up animals then planning a stalk.

Heading out of work soon so this may turn into a couple of paragraphs and photos a day whenever I get some free time.

To be continued.
GavinTexas
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » October 26th, 2016, 9:19 am

Awesome story! Very stoked to hear the rest!
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Steve G » October 27th, 2016, 9:31 am

CaptainLeo wrote:Was able to finally get my first deer. Nothing too dramatic about the hunt. We were able to get within 100 yards of him and I got him right in the lung. The bullet proceeded to blow apart the spine and destroy the right lung dropping it right in it's tracks. He was pretty young, but had a pretty big body. Nice set of forked antlers, also.

Looks like you shot your animal out of a burn area or maybe there was one near by that he was using? Congratulations.
Steve G
kook

Postby Steve G » October 27th, 2016, 9:36 am

GavinTexas wrote:Back from my trip.

Didn't end up putting one down this year (buddy did) but probably one of my favorite hunts ever.

We hunted one of Wyomings top units on cow tags that required a point to draw.

I look forward to hearing the rest as well. We hunted cow elk in Utah on our way home from our Casper, WY antelope hunt, and blanked as well. Found plenty of bulls but the only cows we found were on a small parcel of private land in the middle of the national forest. Hope to go back and finish the job in early December.
Steve G
kook

Postby GavinTexas » November 11th, 2016, 10:41 am

Alrighty, back at it now for another installation.

We arrived at our unit on Sunday morning and headed out the following Saturday morning. The way the seasons worked allowed us to archery hunt Sunday-Friday and then get in a quick rifle hunt Saturday before we headed out.

While it had been pretty stormy a few days before we arrived we were incredibly blessed to have beautiful weather for our entire trip. The highest point in the unit is around 8500 feet and still had a bit of snow on the ground.

I had traded a scouting trip I had planned to attend a funeral over the summer so being that this was our first time in the area we dedicated most of Sunday to just driving around and getting the lay of the land. We ended up coming in near the bottom of the unit and then making a big loop up and over the "mountain" before heading down the backside.

Starting to come down the snow became more scarce.

Eventually we made it to the bottom and started to loop back around and head up to the top of some drainages. It was pretty barren down at the bottom though!

The first night we ended up heading as far back up as we could before getting temporarily stuck in the mud and deciding that camping there would be a good idea. There was an old corral that we set the tent up against and then we hiked down the hill to the tip of a finger to glass til dark. We saw a ton of mule deer and even a few bears but only 1 elk that night. We hiked back to camp and looked at the map to make a plan for how to get to where the elk were the next morning.

We got up just before dawn and broke down camp and started heading downhill. We turned off at what we thought was the right spot and eventually the road turned into a ATV trail. We stopped and consulted the map against the satellite imagery we could get on our phones and realized that the map we had was worthless. It showed the terrain but the roads didn't match reality. At this point though we could hear bugling elk so we turned around and headed a mile back to a nice saddle that allowed us to look into the drainages on both sides of us. After a few minutes we finally located some elk about a mile across the canyon.

Seeing as it was already about 9AM we ended up watching em for awhile until they disappeared into some thicker timber. We couldn't see exactly where they bedded but we had a good idea so we headed back up the hill and around until we were on top of the drainage on their side. We set up camp and decided to make a stalk on em in bed to see if we couldn't put one down on our first real day of hunting. We hiked down to where we'd seen em and started descending from above so we'd have the thermals in our favor. It took probably an hour to cover the 2-300 yards down the hill and then the bull started bugling again. I'd never hunted when the elk were bugling before and it was an amazing experience having a big bull bugling probably 20 yards away on the other side of some brush. We held up to see what would happen and eventually could hear him move off. We made it another 50 yards to where we'd last seen the elk and suddenly watched a cow cross the hill above us followed by the rest of them busting out of there and following her. I don't think they saw us based on the terrain but I suspect that they'd bedded higher on the hill than we had anticipated and once we got below them I'm certain that the thermals carried our scent right up to em and spooked them off. A bit dejected but still excited with the fast start to our trip we headed back to camp and regrouped.

We made a quick walk that evening and ended up spooking them again where we didn't expect to see them but after that we didn't see em again. A nice hot meal and it was off to bed for the night.

The next morning, Tuesday went fairly similar, we were driving down the mountain to check a different spot and ended up hearing some bugling. We managed to glass up a small herd and give chase but these elk disappeared before we ever got close. At this point we were low on gas due to all the driving on Sunday so we headed into a small town further down the road to fuel up and get a bite to eat for lunch.

We even got a bonus state on the way to fuel up.
GavinTexas
spearo

Postby GavinTexas » November 11th, 2016, 10:59 am

After lunch we headed back into the unit to keep hunting. We ended up back at the same spot where we'd seen the elk that morning as there was a great area to camp right there at the top of the ridge. We setup camp and just glassed from there until dark. We spotted a big group of elk about 4 miles away and made a plan to chase them in the morning.

I've always been a big vortex fan but after picking up my first Swarovski I think I'm going to start upgrading. I still use a vortex on my rifle but for binos and spotters the swaro is unmatched!

Camp for the night.

One of the benefits to glassing from camp is it gave us time to build a fire and enjoy a solid meal and a few beers while we glassed. I picked up some of the pre-seasoned ready to cook chicken and pork from the grocery store before we left along with some gravy packets and instant mashed potatos. Not exactly gourmet but pretty dang good after a few days of hunting!

The next morning we got up and started hiking downhill towards where we'd seen the elk. It took a solid 3 hours of traversing to get there but finally we ended up across the ravine from where we'd seen them. They were bedded in a small stand of trees on the North facing slope while we were about 200 yards further down the ravine and maybe 500 yards across from em. There was a little finger leading down to the bottom right in front of us. We backed up a bit and made a plan for me to go straight up my side of the ravine, cross and come down from above on them while my buddy would slip down to the bottom of the finger and set up there. The thought process being that either I'd be able to sneak in range from above, or that if I spooked them they would head down the ravine to safety and go right past my buddy.

I started heading uphill and after maybe 3/4 mile I turned to cross the ravine once I couldn't see the elk or my buddy any more. I guess this is where things went wrong but apparently shortly after I disappeared from sight of my buddy all the elk took off back into the tree-line a few hundred yards up their side of the valley. Unfortunately I was oblivious to this so I pushed on. It took me about 2 hours before I was in position above where they were last seen. I took my shoes off and spent another hour picking apart the last 100 yards before deciding that the elk were gone. Bummed I found my pack and shoes and started making the long hike back to camp.

Hard to get any perspective but it was a ways back there. The car is where I'm pointing on the horizon. In the foreground is the valley I crossed to try and get to the elk. After that the terrain looks pretty flat but it is actually a series of drainages that you have to cross by going down one side and back up the other until you finally head back up the last hill to the car.

At one point I was so tired of hiking I stopped to take my first selfie...

Again notice the weather in all pictures. We had maybe a 5mph breeze every day and about 10 minutes of rain. No complaining here!

Time to head outta work and off to an anniversary dinner but I will try and be quicker to post the rest of my pics and narrative.

Cheers.
GavinTexas
spearo

Postby Alex Ray » November 11th, 2016, 1:31 pm

This is awesome, I'm so excited for the next installment!
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Big_Berg » November 13th, 2016, 11:31 am

Awesome!! Thanks for doing these detailed installments. I enjoy your writing. These installments keep me pumped! I can't do any big game hunting this year with school kicking my ass right now. These installments are helpful in pretending I'm still a hunter.
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby GavinTexas » November 13th, 2016, 1:07 pm

I started taking less pics the last few days but I got a few more I'll post up at work this week to round out my last few days up there. I had a blast and am already trying to plan what I want to do next year now :)

Thanks for the kind words.

Cheers!
GavinTexas
spearo

Postby Steve G » December 4th, 2016, 10:15 pm

I had a great but unsuccessful hunt for cow elk in Utah this past October so we went back for the last three days of the season and found 12" of snow and temperatures below zero. I've never hunted big game so late in the season before and it made for an incredible experience. Not much in the order of trophy value but it will definitely provide plenty of elk steaks in addition to the fun hunt.
Attachments
Steve G
kook

Postby Big_Berg » December 5th, 2016, 7:49 am

Steve G wrote:I had a great but unsuccessful hunt for cow elk in Utah this past October so we went back for the last three days of the season and found 12" of snow and temperatures below zero. I've never hunted big game so late in the season before and it made for an incredible experience. Not much in the order of trophy value but it will definitely provide plenty of elk steaks in addition to the fun hunt.

Unsuccessful? Unsuccessful hunt reports don't usually have a picture of a big dead animal attached.
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Steve G » December 5th, 2016, 10:17 am

Big_Berg wrote:Unsuccessful? Unsuccessful hunt reports don't usually have a picture of a big dead animal attached.

Haha. We were unsuccessful in October. Successful in December.
Steve G
kook

Postby dennisschlosser » December 5th, 2016, 10:42 am

Nice cow elk Steve. Nothing tastes better. Went up to my favorite spot in Montana this year but had to go solo. My good friend and pack mule is going through chemo and trying to kick cancers ass at only 39 years old, so it was not the same without him this year. With the elk being over 6 miles round trip from the truck, and knowing even a smaller elk would be two really heavy loads in one day, a big bull was not in the cards this year with the temps in the high 60s to low 70s. Couldn't forgive myself if I left meat to spoil, even for a big set of antlers. The 4000 ft of elevation gain from the truck (4500-8500) to the elk also didn't help, but I was able to get it done on opening day with a small bull, and after a few days rest, again a few days later with a small cow. Having never packed out an elk by myself in one day, getting two in two days hunting by myself pushed my limits. While it seemed impossbile at times I just kept thinking who much easier it was than sitting in a hospital going through chemo. Even better than the hunt was being able to bring meat back to my friend and his family. The first thing he told me was don't worry, I'll be ready to go next fall and than we can shoot the herd bull.
Attachments
Dennis
dennisschlosser
noob

Postby Steve G » December 5th, 2016, 11:12 am

dennisschlosser wrote:Nice cow elk Steve. Nothing tastes better. Went up to my favorite spot in Montana this year but had to go solo. My good friend and pack mule is going through chemo and trying to kick cancers ass at only 39 years old, so it was not the same without him this year. With the elk being over 6 miles round trip from the truck, and knowing even a smaller elk would be two really heavy loads in one day, a big bull was not in the cards this year with the temps in the high 60s to low 70s. Couldn't forgive myself if I left meat to spoil, even for a big set of antlers. The 4000 ft of elevation gain from the truck (4500-8500) to the elk also didn't help, but I was able to get it done on opening day with a small bull, and after a few days rest, again a few days later with a small cow. Having never packed out an elk by myself in one day, getting two in two days hunting by myself pushed my limits. While it seemed impossbile at times I just kept thinking who much easier it was than sitting in a hospital going through chemo. Even better than the hunt was being able to bring meat back to my friend and his family. The first thing he told me was don't worry, I'll be ready to go next fall and than we can shoot the herd bull.

Sorry to hear about your buddy. Solo is still great but not the same as a good hunting partner. I'm sure he will win his fight.

My hat is off to you if you can pull an elk of any size off a hill in two loads. My animal died less than 400 yds from the truck so that was no issue but my partners was 3/4 miles from the truck in snow and I don't think that I could have packed out two quarters and a back strap in one haul. Congratulations! Solo hunts are always an awesome adventure and test.
Steve G
kook

Postby Steve G » December 5th, 2016, 11:23 am

By the way. We lost light while quartering my animal (gutless method) and left the tenderloins for recovery the next day. The temperatures when we left the animal was in the teens and fell below zero over night. We figured for sure that with those temps the tenderloins would keep. When we returned 24 hours later after full recovery of the second animal the insides of the gut near the tenderloins were still warm and there were blood and fluids that were still liquid. The temps had never climbed above 25 degrees during that time. An incredible testament to an elk's hide I think as I had unwittingly covered part of the remains of the elk with the discarded hide.
Steve G
kook

Postby dennisschlosser » December 5th, 2016, 6:32 pm

Ya two trips was rough. Over 100lbs each trip and that was picking out a small one. I also do the gutless method but bone everything out. On hills this steep every pound count. In this pick u can see how steep the area was. At least it was all down hill.
Attachments
Dennis
dennisschlosser
noob

Postby GavinTexas » December 9th, 2016, 1:08 pm

Back to it for a few min.

After our pointless trek across the basin (and back!) we had to run back to town to use the internet and register some dogs for a hunt test. We relaxed at camp for an hour or 2 and made a solid lunch before eventually packing up the truck and driving back to town again.

We hit up the same brewery for dinner and then swung by sportsmans warehouse to grab a bugle tube. We only had cow tags but a day in I realized I was an idiot for not bringing a bugle tube just for the sake of locating the bulls. A few more hours of sleep and we were up early to hit it again the next day.

We had a nice sunrise on the way in...

Based on what we'd been seeing the previous days we decided to try and park closer to the bottom of the basin we'd been hunting and hunt from there. We took a road that went a few hundred yards off the main road towards the basin before coming to a cliff and parked.

Didn't take much glassing to find elk really close to where we were seeing them the previous day.

Again we made a plan and started hiking. Thursday was the only day in the forecast with less than stellar weather with the reports calling for 15-25mph winds and a chance of rain. The forecasters were accurate on the wind but we lucked out and only got about 10 min of rain. Just enough time for us to stop and put on our rain gear before hiking another 5 min and the rain stopping. Typical.

We made it to where we saw the elk and began stalking in closer. The terrain here is very open with small brush pockets you can use for cover. As i came to the edge of the second to last brush pocket I took a step and saw an antler on the leading edge of the next pocket about 40 yards away. With nowhere to go I froze and waited. Eventually I could see my partner again about 50 yards off to my side at the other end of the brush. He couldn't see the elk so he kept going. I slowly dropped down and crawled back into the brush to get ready. I couldn't get his eye so I figured either he'd get a shot or he'd spook the elk towards me. Finally I hear the elk stand up and start walking but he went up the hill and stayed out of range of both of us. :angry-cussingblack:

At this point we start to slowly give chase and for the next 4 hours we walk and crawl our way along behind these guys trying to catch up and get a shot. I wish there was a happier ending to this part of the story but unfortunately it ends with me getting spotted by a cow I couldn't see because I wasn't being patient enough (much to my buddies dismay of course haha). At this point the elk split and we follow a bit to see where they're heading. I lose track of them but my buddy follows them until they bed down again but there's no way we're getting to them the same day due to the location.

It's about 2PM at this point so rather than hiking back to the car we find a somewhat sheltered spot from the wind to eat our sandwiches and try to catch a few hours of sleep til it gets closer to the time for the evening hunt. Around 430 we really start glassing again and by 530 we still haven't seen anything. Still a little upset from the morning we end up deciding to start hiking back to the car while it's still light. It's not the hike from the previous day but it's still a solid 2 miles with a steep uphill portion at the end to regain a few hundred feet in elevation.

We get back to the car with maybe 20 min of sunlight left and start glassing back towards where we were only to see a few elk come out maybe halfway between where we were and camp. Realistically it would have been hard to get one in that timeframe but I sure woulda liked to have tried!

With the weather forecast still calling for rain we figure we'll make another round of sandwiches and just sleep in the car vs setting up the tent. We'd packed all the coolers in first then put a sheet of plywood over the top and put everything else on top of that. We had to move some stuff to the front seats and leave some stuff that could get wet outside but it turned out to be pretty spacious compared to the tent and much more secure than sleeping in the tent.

Up again early for the last day of our archery hunt we spent most of the morning glassing. I could hear bugling but my partner and I were at a disagreement about what to do. As we couldn't see them and we didn't have any other areas scouted out he wanted to keep glassing rather than risking spooking them, while I wanted to keep hunting with the bow even if it decreased our chances for the next day.

When you spend so man days straight talking with only 1 person it becomes inevitable that you'll disagree on some stuff and have conflict. My buddy and I are both very similar personality types where we'll say what we're thinking but also neither of us takes anything personally and would rather just have an up front conversation than beat around the bush trying to be nice. Ultimately we ended up not chasing them down that morning and then moved onto trying to figure out the plans for the evening and the next morning.

My buddy wanted to sleep on the hill that night near where we had seen the elk previously, while I wanted to have another chance with the bow so after making lunch (another sandwich) and preparing dinners and breakfasts (surprise more sandwiches!) we hung out and relaxed for an hour before I dropped him off as close as I could to where he wanted to sleep and then headed to the top of the basin with the car. Our plans were to hunt each end of the basin maybe 4 miles apart and then I'd pick him up at a pre-determined spot at a certain time.

I got setup at the top and started glassing. An hour later or so around 5PM I got a pic that my buddy was setup. Having an idea where he was I managed to glass him up and see exactly where he was.

Not to luxurious but it'd work for the night!

Meanwhile I'd been observing some elk closer to my end of the basin and made a plan of attack for myself the next morning.

Finally I pulled out dinner and "enjoyed" another sandwich while I glassed until it was too dark to see anymore.

Heading outta work now. Not to many pics left but will post em up soon.

Cheers.
GavinTexas
spearo

Postby John Hughes » December 26th, 2016, 9:33 am

For somebody who doesn't hunt, I'm enjoying the in depth explanation. Thanks for taking the time. Gives me an idea of how much pain (and how many sandwiches) are involved in that elk meat they give me :)
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Big_Berg » January 13th, 2017, 6:19 am

Still looking forward to / waiting for the next installment!

Can't wait to see the rest of the pics!
Big_Berg
spearo

Previous

Return to Sitting Topside