Back yard farming

Off-topic conversations, cool videos and news stories. We ask that you keep politics/religion and bickering OUT of this section.

Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » March 12th, 2015, 10:23 am

Ok ok I know most of you think this may be a littl :gay: ..... But I thought I would see who else out there has a garden or live stock of some kind.

I have been working really hard this year with my garden. I have terrible soil so the last few years I've been working on composting, stealing horse shit from friends, and even bought some soil.

I planted 80 ish onions, over a dozen broccoli, 20 kale, 20 bok choy, 6 costa romanesca/ zucchini, 6 yellow crookneck, 4 pumpkin, ~30 tomato ( for canning), holdover patches of thyme rosemary oregano and mint, 3 fennel, ~20+ pea plants, potato patch, spinach patch, mesculin salad mix patch, and I'm sure I'm missing some stuff.

Started everything from seed in small pots which was cheaper but more work than buying seedlings. Only invested 50$ this year in some soil and starter cups.

Also going to do a batch of 10-15 meat chickens and 4 turkey's in the next couple months.
Attachments
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » March 12th, 2015, 10:24 am

Wow that picture sucks and distorts the size of everything.
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » March 12th, 2015, 10:26 am

I will keep this updated as the garden grows and birds fatten up.
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » March 12th, 2015, 10:27 am

Last years young turkeys
Attachments
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » March 12th, 2015, 10:29 am

They went over 30lbs of the most amazing quality of meat.
Attachments
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » March 12th, 2015, 10:30 am

Meat...
Attachments
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » March 12th, 2015, 10:31 am

Crazy marbling on the hind quarters...
Attachments
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » March 12th, 2015, 10:33 am

This was a meat chicken I let get too big. It dressed out bigger than most store bought turkey's.
Attachments
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » March 12th, 2015, 10:34 am

This is actually a chicken!!!
Attachments
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » March 12th, 2015, 10:35 am

Some of the garden harvest...
Attachments
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » March 12th, 2015, 10:37 am

:gay:
Attachments
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Hookin » March 12th, 2015, 11:41 am

Thats a great garden. I miss my garden. I used to grow chilis, zuchini, eggplant, basil, tomatoes, bell peppers, mint, cilantro rosemary and some other stuff. Thanks for sharing.
Alex
User avatar
Hookin
prick
 
Posts: 703
Joined: August 2013
Location: Marina Del Rey

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Oscar » March 12th, 2015, 11:57 am

I had a great garden when I lived in Great Fals Montana - sweet corn, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, squash, zucchini, beans, peas, etc, but had to share with the deer, rabbits, and other critters.

Moved to South Florda and too many bugs and too hot.

Moved to Singapore in a condo - no garden

Now in north Texas mostly grow okra - too damn hot for other stuff. :angry-cussingblack:

But great to grow your own food. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
User avatar
Oscar
spearo
 
Posts: 381
Joined: August 2013
Location: Flower Mound, Texas

Re: Back yard farming

Postby GavinTexas » March 12th, 2015, 3:12 pm

Those are some awesome looking birds!

My wife is raising rabbits right now and we'd like to get some chickens, ducks, and sheep in the near future depending on what our living situation allows.

Cool post!
User avatar
GavinTexas
spearo
 
Posts: 189
Joined: August 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby ApneaAddict » March 12th, 2015, 3:49 pm

Beautiful! Impressive harvests. I definitely appreciate how much work successful gardening takes... unfortunately I don't have the patience for it myself, but I sure wish I did. Maybe some day...
What's the point of a hobby if it doesn't fill your stomach?

http://www.youtube.com/user/ApneaHunter
User avatar
ApneaAddict
spearo
 
Posts: 437
Joined: July 2013
Location: South of San Francisco

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Maguimaraes » March 12th, 2015, 7:51 pm

That is a good harvest...I started my concrete jungle farm last year...We had really bad soil so I started with raised beds and worked the ground soil by adding a load of chopped tree from a tree service company, now there are tons of worms anywhere I dig a little and the soil is nice and soft...Last summer I raised 16 meat chicken and have 5 layers currently.

I'll post some pics tomorrow...
User avatar
Maguimaraes
spearo
 
Posts: 221
Joined: August 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » March 12th, 2015, 10:52 pm

GavinTexas wrote:Those are some awesome looking birds!

My wife is raising rabbits right now and we'd like to get some chickens, ducks, and sheep in the near future depending on what our living situation allows.

Cool post!


That's awesome! I thought about raising rabbits but I usually just hunt for them.

Ducks suck to raise, they are really nasty dirty and loud. The meat yield isn't really worth the effort and cost. My wife told me to start hunting them because they are such a pain to raise for meat.

I grew up raising pigs and sheep and have a fondness for raising and harvesting lambs. Have to say raising sheep is really awesome, and tasty. Pigs are tasty but require a little more work, and fall into the category of my wife preferring wild pig meat ( but I have a better chance of winning the wsb smack down diving in only slo county, than I do finding a place to hunt for wild pigs).

Turkeys aren't bad to raise and have a solid cost to meat yield.

We also bought 4 pheasants this last year and they really aren't to productive cost wise. They are crazy too, and if they get out they are gone.
Last edited by Big_Berg on March 12th, 2015, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » March 12th, 2015, 10:53 pm

Maguimaraes wrote:That is a good harvest...I started my concrete jungle farm last year...We had really bad soil so I started with raised beds and worked the ground soil by adding a load of chopped tree from a tree service company, now there are tons of worms anywhere I dig a little and the soil is nice and soft...Last summer I raised 16 meat chicken and have 5 layers currently.

I'll post some pics tomorrow...



That's awesome! I look forward to seeing pics! It's nice to hear about another back yard farmer. I have six laying hens currently and may add a couple more into the mix when I bring in the new crop of meat fowl.
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Westbury » March 13th, 2015, 9:33 am

Here's mine.
I had these raised beds built by the local rock masons.
I then lined the inside with galvanized aviary mesh to keep the gophers out.
backfilled with leftover dirt from grading projects and then ran 1" copper lines to each bed for drip emitters.

This is from a couple of years ago. Getting ready to take a chance and plant a bit early for this year. Hope we don't get too much more cold weather.

User avatar
Westbury
kook
 
Posts: 647
Joined: July 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » March 13th, 2015, 10:30 am

Westbury wrote:Here's mine.
I had these raised beds built by the local rock masons.
I then lined the inside with galvanized aviary mesh to keep the gophers out.
backfilled with leftover dirt from grading projects and then ran 1" copper lines to each bed for drip emitters.

This is from a couple of years ago. Getting ready to take a chance and plant a bit early for this year. Hope we don't get too much more cold weather.

IMG_1689.JPG



Wow that's impressive! Copper drip line?! Sounds like the Hearst castle of planter boxes.

I planted much earlier this year after the last frost.
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby davisdonnell » March 14th, 2015, 8:36 am

Nice! Great thread. My girlfriend and I just started to get our garden going from seed. Moving to a new house with a huge yard in two weeks, snd can't wait to get the garden going. I'll be sure to post up pictures.

We have tomatoes, jalepenos, onion, zucchini, lemon cucumbers, micro greens, chives, garlic, ground cherries, spaghetti squash, acorn squash, romaine, butter crunch lettuce, arugula, corn salad (mache), tatsoi mustard, and fennel. I'm sure I'll be adding more as the weather warms up. Its an incredibly early start for MT this year. Very, very warm winter. Fires are going to be insane this year!

Any of you guys have a worm bin going? I may get one going so I can benefit from the worm tea and castings, but I'm done with school next year and don't know if the pay out is delayed.
User avatar
davisdonnell
spearo
 
Posts: 217
Joined: August 2013
Location: Missoula, MT

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Westbury » March 14th, 2015, 5:17 pm

Big_Berg wrote:
Westbury wrote:Here's mine.
I had these raised beds built by the local rock masons.
I then lined the inside with galvanized aviary mesh to keep the gophers out.
backfilled with leftover dirt from grading projects and then ran 1" copper lines to each bed for drip emitters.

This is from a couple of years ago. Getting ready to take a chance and plant a bit early for this year. Hope we don't get too much more cold weather.

IMG_1689.JPG



Wow that's impressive! Copper drip line?! Sounds like the Hearst castle of planter boxes.

I planted much earlier this year after the last frost.

Sorry, I should of been clearer.
I ran PVC underground to each bed then the for the vertical risers I ran 1" copper with a hose bib. Then I connected the black poly line drip hose.
You can see the 3/4" copper /hose bib on the left bed. Thats for my regular hose.
User avatar
Westbury
kook
 
Posts: 647
Joined: July 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Hookin » March 14th, 2015, 5:56 pm

How did you get your birds so clean? Did you wax them?
Alex
User avatar
Hookin
prick
 
Posts: 703
Joined: August 2013
Location: Marina Del Rey

Re: Back yard farming

Postby GavinTexas » March 16th, 2015, 7:16 pm

Big_Berg wrote:
GavinTexas wrote:Those are some awesome looking birds!

My wife is raising rabbits right now and we'd like to get some chickens, ducks, and sheep in the near future depending on what our living situation allows.

Cool post!


That's awesome! I thought about raising rabbits but I usually just hunt for them.

Ducks suck to raise, they are really nasty dirty and loud. The meat yield isn't really worth the effort and cost. My wife told me to start hunting them because they are such a pain to raise for meat.

I grew up raising pigs and sheep and have a fondness for raising and harvesting lambs. Have to say raising sheep is really awesome, and tasty. Pigs are tasty but require a little more work, and fall into the category of my wife preferring wild pig meat ( but I have a better chance of winning the wsb smack down diving in only slo county, than I do finding a place to hunt for wild pigs).

Turkeys aren't bad to raise and have a solid cost to meat yield.

We also bought 4 pheasants this last year and they really aren't to productive cost wise. They are crazy too, and if they get out they are gone.


You live in SLO? I went to school there and it's one of the few places in CA that I miss living in TX!

If you're looking for a place to hunt pigs you should check out FHL. I hunted there a few times and while I only got one pig I'd just started figuring it out when I graduated and moved. There are some guys I'd talked with that would go up there and whack one every time. Also there were always tons of quail everywhere up there.

If you're considering rabbits and are looking for info let me know. My wife is pretty knowledgeable about them as aside from her time at school (also Cal Poly :)) she's been raising them her whole life. She had some Californians (California Lops??) that were best in breed at the National level while she was in high school and she's just got back into raising and breeding rabbits with some Satins that she picked up at this years National Convention in Dallas.

Her big thing now is figuring out how to use more of the rabbit so she's experimenting with tanning the hides and using bunny sh*t as fertilizer (apparently its incredible?).

Anyways, it looks like you've got things pretty well under control but figured I'd throw it out there. If we end up with somewhere we can raise some animals I may be shooting you a PM looking for some tips regarding chickens and turkeys. Cheers!
User avatar
GavinTexas
spearo
 
Posts: 189
Joined: August 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » March 17th, 2015, 9:16 am

I've considered FHL and have heard how amazing it can be, but with the new rules and bs it has kept me away. You now have to drive up there on a week day in the middle of the day and register your guns and go through a background check. Also have to register our vehicle. I'll have to look into it again as putting a pig in the freezer would be awesome right now (though finding the time to do so is hard at the moment). I have a deal with a couple local ranchers that if they shoot a pig they will give it to me. They won't let anyone hunt there. So far they haven't even gone out to look. I may do some turkey guiding for a big time land owner in the near future, so I am hoping to score some points and shoot another pig on his ranch in casmalia.
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » April 9th, 2015, 7:57 am

My wife went to the feed store and picked up 15 meat birds and 4 new laying hen chicks to add to our egg production. Goin to pick up 4 turkey chicks next Thursday.
Attachments
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » April 9th, 2015, 8:13 am

Also a garden update...

Onions starting to swell up, potatoes exploding.
Attachments
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » April 9th, 2015, 8:16 am

The mesculin salad mix patch is starting to yield some tasty greens for salads and sandwiches. The tomato seedlings and carrots are starting to cover some ground.
Attachments
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » April 9th, 2015, 8:19 am

One of the zucchini plants is already fruiting and has me crazing rock crab stuffed squash blossoms.

The broccoli and kale are looking hearty.

Pic of our egg production for the day. During the summer these birds crank.
Attachments
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » April 9th, 2015, 11:21 am

Well, I was driving by the feed store and ended up rounding up my meat chicks to 20.
Attachments
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby VangysWay » April 9th, 2015, 2:09 pm

Very cool thread, thanks for sharing
User avatar
VangysWay
kook
 
Posts: 684
Joined: February 2014
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » April 10th, 2015, 2:23 pm

Lost two chicks. One yesterday, one today...

Pretty sure the one yesterday was trampled and killed by his comrades. The one that died today I'm thinking was from getting best up during transport. They ship these chicks in the mail. They have a very high survival rate, but some do die.

Good news is, the rest of the group looks healthy and happy.
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby phil herranen » April 10th, 2015, 10:29 pm

Big_Berg wrote:I've considered FHL and have heard how amazing it can be, but with the new rules and bs it has kept me away. You now have to drive up there on a week day in the middle of the day and register your guns and go through a background check. Also have to register our vehicle. I'll have to look into it again as putting a pig in the freezer would be awesome right now (though finding the time to do so is hard at the moment). I have a deal with a couple local ranchers that if they shoot a pig they will give it to me. They won't let anyone hunt there. So far they haven't even gone out to look. I may do some turkey guiding for a big time land owner in the near future, so I am hoping to score some points and shoot another pig on his ranch in casmalia.


i hunt private property in the middle of fhl its totally reasonable for them to have hoops for you to run threw to hunt there it is a active base and civilians with guns is a significant security risk . after 9/11 there were times where unless you were a landowner you couldn't get in the base at all , and we still had to check in with range command before interning
User avatar
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns
 
Posts: 781
Joined: July 2013
Location: santa cruz

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » April 11th, 2015, 8:12 am

That makes sense, it's just hard to find the time for registering.
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby undrH2Ohntr » April 14th, 2015, 11:07 am

Dude...you have an impressive operation there. Nice work.
I have a backyard garden but nothing compared to the little farm you have going on.
User avatar
undrH2Ohntr
spearo
 
Posts: 394
Joined: August 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby davisdonnell » April 17th, 2015, 7:17 am

I planted my onions and garlic last week and have my tomatos, ground cherries, summer squash, and peppers currently inside under a grow light! I still have 1 month of potential frost, so the wait continues...

It took four hours to clear the first bed of all of the weeds, rocks, and trash. I still have three beds to go. Going to try and get them finished this afternoon.

The girlfriend is already growing impatient for her flowers. I planted a few dozen bulbs and seeds, which will make this rental feel a little bit more like a home.
User avatar
davisdonnell
spearo
 
Posts: 217
Joined: August 2013
Location: Missoula, MT

Re: Back yard farming

Postby phil herranen » April 17th, 2015, 7:56 am

I got a new toy last week , it sure makes turning the ground over a lot faster . My garden is around a half acre too small for a tractor , but big enuff to want one

I'm waiting out frost too , I had a light frost last week that did a little damage to my starts that were hardening off outside , I might start planting this weekend
Attachments
User avatar
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns
 
Posts: 781
Joined: July 2013
Location: santa cruz

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » April 17th, 2015, 9:31 am

davisdonnell wrote:I planted my onions and garlic last week and have my tomatos, ground cherries, summer squash, and peppers currently inside under a grow light! I still have 1 month of potential frost, so the wait continues...

It took four hours to clear the first bed of all of the weeds, rocks, and trash. I still have three beds to go. Going to try and get them finished this afternoon.

The girlfriend is already growing impatient for her flowers. I planted a few dozen bulbs and seeds, which will make this rental feel a little bit more like a home.


Awesome! It's crazy how early we an start on the central coast here. I'm almost ready to harvest my onions. Would be cool to see some pics of what you're deinf with out there.
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » April 17th, 2015, 9:32 am

phil herranen wrote:I got a new toy last week , it sure makes turning the ground over a lot faster . My garden is around a half acre too small for a tractor , but big enuff to want one

I'm waiting out frost too , I had a light frost last week that did a little damage to my starts that were hardening off outside , I might start planting this weekend


That's so awesome! I want one so bad. Sounds like you have quite the operation. Would be neat to see some pics.
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby phil herranen » April 17th, 2015, 3:16 pm

Big_Berg wrote:
phil herranen wrote:I got a new toy last week , it sure makes turning the ground over a lot faster . My garden is around a half acre too small for a tractor , but big enuff to want one

I'm waiting out frost too , I had a light frost last week that did a little damage to my starts that were hardening off outside , I might start planting this weekend


That's so awesome! I want one so bad. Sounds like you have quite the operation. Would be neat to see some pics.

The best part is it only cost $250 . I called a friend that works at sears what kind of deals were out there and he said they had this one that had been marked down 3-4 times . Turns out the drive belt was routed the wrong way and it had been bought and returned and no one ever bothered to figure it out . So it is basically brand new . Normal price was $1000
User avatar
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns
 
Posts: 781
Joined: July 2013
Location: santa cruz

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » April 17th, 2015, 8:41 pm

phil herranen wrote:
Big_Berg wrote:
phil herranen wrote:I got a new toy last week , it sure makes turning the ground over a lot faster . My garden is around a half acre too small for a tractor , but big enuff to want one

I'm waiting out frost too , I had a light frost last week that did a little damage to my starts that were hardening off outside , I might start planting this weekend


That's so awesome! I want one so bad. Sounds like you have quite the operation. Would be neat to see some pics.

The best part is it only cost $250 . I called a friend that works at sears what kind of deals were out there and he said they had this one that had been marked down 3-4 times . Turns out the drive belt was routed the wrong way and it had been bought and returned and no one ever bothered to figure it out . So it is basically brand new . Normal price was $1000



Wow! What a score. Looks like a beast
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » April 22nd, 2015, 6:06 pm

Update....

The meat chicks have tripled in size, they also consume triple the amount of food, and most notably triple the amount of poop.
Attachments
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » April 22nd, 2015, 6:15 pm

Saw potatoes exploding out of the ground so I picked up a few for dinner. I also picked a few young zucchinis, some arugula, an onion, and a few handfuls of sugar snap peas (all veg was simply sautéed). Roasted the potatoes with garlic and a blend of rosemary, lemon thyme, and oregano from the garden. I also had some venison going in the crock pot in some some pheasant stock with gobs of rendered duck and turkey fat from last season. It was an amazing meal after a brutal day. The kids wolfed it down as well. Not the best plating job but with shaky starving hands I threw down some chow.
Attachments
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » April 22nd, 2015, 6:17 pm

Didn't have time to eat today so this really hit the spot...


It feels good enjoying the rewards of the labor put in. Everything was from the garden or harvested in the mountains.
Attachments
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » May 1st, 2015, 8:21 pm

Moved the birds outside today. Temps are warm enough and I rigged a heat lamp on a timer for night time. Also put a tarp over a portion of the enclosure for some shade. I'll build something nicer next batch of birds. I'm still toying with putting a rabbit hutch over the top of the starter side enclosure. Please forgive how ghetto the tarp looks.
Attachments
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby squeakin'sinus805 » May 5th, 2015, 5:06 pm

Nathan, you're such a :gay: !!!!!!!!!!!!!


Just kidding man, I'm jealous of all the good stuff you got going on. Especially those high fat turkeys. All I have is an exploding Washington Raspberry thicket (feel free to grab a sprout if you think you could keep it alive) that are some of the most flavorful raspberries I've had. Other than that it's just a few tomato plants and some herbs (legal ones, lol).

We live so close I feel it's a shame we don't talk/hang out/dive more, but I know you're a busy dude.

Hit me up and we'll go get diner sometime.
User avatar
squeakin'sinus805
spearo
 
Posts: 250
Joined: October 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » May 6th, 2015, 4:12 pm

squeakin'sinus805 wrote:Nathan, you're such a :gay: !!!!!!!!!!!!!


Just kidding man, I'm jealous of all the good stuff you got going on. Especially those high fat turkeys. All I have is an exploding Washington Raspberry thicket (feel free to grab a sprout if you think you could keep it alive) that are some of the most flavorful raspberries I've had. Other than that it's just a few tomato plants and some herbs (legal ones, lol).

We live so close I feel it's a shame we don't talk/hang out/dive more, but I know you're a busy dude.

Hit me up and we'll go get diner sometime.



Thanks Karl!

Would love a berry sprout, I could repay you with what ever seeds or fresh veg catches your fancy in my collection. You're also welcome to a vacuum sealed frozen chunk of bird fat, I think I have a few left.

Let me know if you want to get covered in blood and feathers. We are going to butcher these 18 birds in a few weeks. Andrew wants to make an axe to table video.

It's funny how close we live and don't bump into each other. I've been unbelievably swamped with school, taking same solid ass reaming classes. I do have a month long gap coming up and it would be nice to see some fish in the freezer (I feel like a loser with zero fish right now). I'll pm you my number.

How your bro? Haven't seen any sign of him in a while. The fish are a little too safe with him in school.
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » May 8th, 2015, 9:23 pm

Most have probably lost interest but I figured I would keep going.

The meat birds are only a couple weeks away from being ready to harvest.
Attachments
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » May 8th, 2015, 10:17 pm

Onion are ready, but I'm going to leave em for a bit.

The costa romanesca (Italian zucchini) has been cranking.

Picked a few yellow crooknecks for breakfast.
Attachments
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » May 8th, 2015, 10:20 pm

Broccoli is starting to show.

Swiss chard is looking good.

My daughter has been grabbing every fresh strawberry that pops up.
Attachments
User avatar
Big_Berg
spearo
 
Posts: 353
Joined: September 2013

Next

Return to Sitting Topside

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

  • Supported by