Back yard farming

Off-topic conversations, cool videos and news stories. We ask that you keep politics/religion and bickering OUT of this section.

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » August 14th, 2016, 10:55 am

Also grew about 50lbs of potatoes in containers. Very simple and could easily be done on an apartment balcony. Didnt take any pics of the harvest or full mature foliage...
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » August 14th, 2016, 10:58 am

The pumpkin plant in the overview picture on page 2 was a compost volunteer and yielded 3 massive pumpkin.
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » August 14th, 2016, 10:59 am

Having the first decent harvest this year of grapes which are now about 2 years old.
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » August 14th, 2016, 11:03 am

Having a great harvest of peas. I scattered the pea plants around the garden which were started from a trader joes english peas that started to sprout in the fridge.
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » August 14th, 2016, 11:04 am

Have a lot more to add later. Many pics to come. If you have any questions, comments, or requests feel free to post!

-Nathan
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Alex Ray » August 14th, 2016, 12:05 pm

!!!!

Good stuff.
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Big_Berg » August 17th, 2016, 5:39 pm

Relentless squash harvest. Been getting about this much every day or so.
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby CaptainLeo » August 20th, 2016, 12:32 am

I ended up over fertilizing our plants last year and burned them all up. I was pretty bummed and almost gave it up, but decided to try again this year. I went with different nutrients and grew everything from seeds, except the tomatoes. Our snap peas were ridiculous and once it got warm enough the green beans were kicking out a few handfulls everyday. The beans are pretty much done and I have replaced them with peppers. Our cucumbers did really well for a while, but I think the watermelon took over and kind of killed them. We have 6 cherry tomato plants that have given us so many that my wife is over tomatoes for a while. Here are a few pics. The first pic is some of the green beans, second is my system early on in the spring, third is the roots of one of my snap pea plants, and fourth is one of my pepper plants.
Attachments
CaptainLeo
spearo

Postby Tino B » August 20th, 2016, 6:43 am

Its tomato craziness at the house right now. 16 different varieties all germinated by seed, along with peppers, beets, zucchini, cucumbers, and lots of other herbs and such. I have enough tomato sauce, sun dried tomatoes, salsa, and soup to last me several years ha ha.

Tino B
spearo

Postby phil herranen » August 20th, 2016, 12:34 pm

I've been struggling with my gardenow this year , between deer and gophers I've had to replace most of my plants at least once , some twice .
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby Big_Berg » August 21st, 2016, 2:07 pm

That's a pretty awesome tomato patch you have growin. What is your method for tying them up. I've always slacked on that and it shows
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » September 2nd, 2016, 7:36 am

Harvested some rabbits.
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » September 2nd, 2016, 7:41 am

I couldn't find a stick or piece of wood small enough to whack em, so I just necked down a 2x4. Felt like the movie walking tall. Plan was to give the head to my moms Italian friend, but after love tappin with the club the heads were rather damaged. Cool part was it separated the skull from the spine with one small swing. They also bled out through the face so I didn't have to cut and drain. Would be cool to get one of those spring loaded executors but this will do for now
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby gringo sushi » September 2nd, 2016, 8:42 am

Reminds me of my college days whacking rabbits on the head before feeding them to a red tail boa so they wouldn't tear up the snake

Great thread on the state of your homestead. I have been lurking and admiring your progress. I have a garden, chickens for eggs and Muscovy ducks for meat.

I used to use the expression that something "breeds like rabbits" until I got these ducks. They multiply like nothing I've ever seen. They are big, meat is great, they eat all of my garden and fish waste, and crap a compost goldmine. If you ever wanted to try them I'd be happy to give you a few to start it up. Another thing I like about them is they are pretty quiet. When disturbed the make a hissing sound but that is about it.

Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

“There is one thing which gives radiance to everything. It is the idea of something around the corner.” G.K. Chesterton
gringo sushi
spearo

Postby GavinTexas » September 3rd, 2016, 11:24 am

That's awesome on the above ducks and rabbits.

I think we are going to pick up one of the smaller spring loaded captive bolt guns as we tend to get a lot of bruised shoulder meat when we butcher rabbits.

The only thing that did real well in our garden this year was peppers and basil (and holy crap did we end up with a lot of peppers!) but the ants killed off all our tomatoes and the squash and green onions didn't really do too well.

We just added some chickens (3 australorps or something like that). Should start laying any day now!
GavinTexas
spearo

Postby Kirby » September 3rd, 2016, 7:26 pm

My pepper bush is bigger than yours.
Attachments
Kirby
spearo

Postby db1 » September 11th, 2016, 7:50 am

Wow, what a great thread guys! Thanks to everyone who posts for the inspiration. Just started some raised beds this year. Only did tomatoes, bell peppers and assorted herbs. But I did build out a good automatic watering system, so next year should be more developed. Also working in my chicken coop.

Tomatoes almost ready... will post pic when they come in.
db1
prick

Postby GavinTexas » September 11th, 2016, 3:36 pm

Right on. I'm interested for what you did for automatic watering.

Do you have a sprinkler system for your yard you just tapped into or did you do something else?
GavinTexas
spearo

Postby db1 » September 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm

GavinTexas wrote:Right on. I'm interested for what you did for automatic watering.

Do you have a sprinkler system for your yard you just tapped into or did you do something else?

Used a water timer by Orbit... you can get at The Depot, Walmart or hardware store. There are a bunch of brands that make them. Then I built a grid out of PVC and drilled a small hole at the base of each plant. Then connected that to a hose. I leave the hose in the on position and set the timer to go off once in the am and once in the eve. So simple. I would always forget to water otherwise. I went away on 3 week vacation and came home to plants almost ready! Feels like a total cheat, but it works.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Orbit-62061N-Digital-1-Dial-Hose-Faucet-Timer/27967404?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=27967404&placement_id=irs-106-t1&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=af4fd234-e5e0-49a1-bfba-4c90d0989b7b&customer_id_enc&config_id=106&parent_item_id=16332345&parent_anchor_item_id=16332345&guid=b431e88f-5a69-44d5-8cad-4b93fb841105&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n
db1
prick

Postby CaptainLeo » September 12th, 2016, 1:46 pm

I'm pretty proud of myself right now, one of the local hydroponics stores, Hands on Hydroponics, here in Oceanside liked one of my little hydro boxes so much, they have it on display for people to order. I'm pretty excited about it because I have been toying with the idea of starting another business where I will build custom hydro systems for people's backyards or wherever they want them.
CaptainLeo
spearo

Postby dariian » September 13th, 2016, 5:58 am

CaptainLeo wrote:I'm pretty proud of myself right now, one of the local hydroponics stores, Hands on Hydroponics, here in Oceanside liked one of my little hydro boxes so much, they have it on display for people to order. I'm pretty excited about it because I have been toying with the idea of starting another business where I will build custom hydro systems for people's backyards or wherever they want them.

Heck yeah Leo, they look great, congrats.

I can't wait to get my setup running here. My garden was pretty much a bust this year.
dariian
spearo

Postby CaptainLeo » September 13th, 2016, 8:05 am

dariian wrote:
CaptainLeo wrote:I'm pretty proud of myself right now, one of the local hydroponics stores, Hands on Hydroponics, here in Oceanside liked one of my little hydro boxes so much, they have it on display for people to order. I'm pretty excited about it because I have been toying with the idea of starting another business where I will build custom hydro systems for people's backyards or wherever they want them.

Heck yeah Leo, they look great, congrats.

I can't wait to get my setup running here. My garden was pretty much a bust this year.

For sure, man. Let me know when you want to get it started and I'll get it done right quick.
CaptainLeo
spearo

Previous

Return to Sitting Topside