Back yard farming

Off-topic conversations, cool videos and news stories. We ask that you keep politics/religion and bickering OUT of this section.

Re: Back yard farming

Postby Big_Berg » May 8th, 2015, 10:22 pm

Russian kale and bok choy are mature and delicious
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » May 8th, 2015, 10:25 pm

These stinging nettles have been popping up all over. Considered weeds, but they sure are tasty. I am planning to do a write up on these wild greens soon. If any one actually cares. I know most of you have bigger fish to fry (literally).
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » May 8th, 2015, 10:27 pm

Over view...
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby davisdonnell » May 11th, 2015, 3:33 pm

:greetings-clappingorange: :bow-blue: :bowrofl:

Dude, your garden kicks ass! I wish mine could look half as good as that!

I'm still hardening off plants up here in MT. Garlic and onions were planted and are now 5-6" tall. I did a few early jalapeños expecting them to have died off by now, but are doing surprisingly well! No frost damage yet. I almost lost all of my seedlings to frost damage, I left the window right above them open too much overnight. The squash seedlings lost their first and only set of leaves, but thankfully sprout their 2nd set the next day.

It'll be a fun summer, I'm already craving homemade strawberry rhubarb pie after a day of floating in the Clark Fork River... Days are getting nice and long already, but I can't wait for the 5:30 sunrises and 10:30 sunsets
davisdonnell
spearo

Postby davisdonnell » May 11th, 2015, 3:33 pm

Oh, and what part of the nettle do you eat??
davisdonnell
spearo

Postby chris oak » May 12th, 2015, 3:49 pm

Man that's awesome, at my old house I used to grow vegetables because the soil was so fertile everything would spring up (old orange tree land). But my new house is mostly cement and the one patch of dirt has a high clay content and combined with the shade and my dogs piss, nothing grows on it :(
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby davisdonnell » May 13th, 2015, 12:23 pm

Can you fit a raised bed in anywhere Chris? Even containers work great, its mostly what I'm doing this year since I'm in a rental and don't have the authority to tear up the grass and make the ground productive..
davisdonnell
spearo

Postby Straz » May 18th, 2015, 7:35 pm

Big_Berg wrote:These stinging nettles have been popping up all over. Considered weeds, but they sure are tasty. I am planning to do a write up on these wild greens soon. If any one actually cares. I know most of you have bigger fish to fry (literally).

I just found this thread and thought it is awesome! Thanks Big_Berg. I got my backyard garden growing now too. All are heirloom varieties. If you post about those nettles I will read it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Straz
spearo

Postby Straz » May 20th, 2015, 6:41 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

This is my humble little backyard farm. I am growing Italian parsley, kale, wild flowers, chives, cauliflower, carrots, poblano chiles, peperoncini, okra, basil, couple of mint varieties, strawberries, 6 tomato varieties, and a tomatillo plant. Most are in containers or a bed. All are heirloom/ non gmo varieties. That's how I usually do it.

Straz
spearo

Postby Straz » May 20th, 2015, 8:15 pm

All of my plants are fertilized by fish carcasses that I shot as well. Thought I'd throw that out there if anyone was wondering what to do with their fish carcasses. I think this is the most rewarding and respectful way to use all of the fish I catch.

Straz
spearo

Postby davisdonnell » May 21st, 2015, 5:47 am

How do you fertilize them with the carcasses? I've buried a few fish before, but my dad vetoed that after digging up half decomposed fish.. They were in there quite a while too..
davisdonnell
spearo

Postby Straz » May 21st, 2015, 1:49 pm

I just leave them in there. No harm or you could chop the carcasses up with a cleaver to get them into smaller bits, but it works fine. When I dig up carcasses, I just bury them again.

Straz
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » May 28th, 2015, 5:05 pm

Slaughtering 18 meat birds on Sunday!
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby CaptainLeo » May 28th, 2015, 9:20 pm

We almost decided not to replant this year because of the bad crops we had the last 2 years in our planter boxes. My wife took the Brownie troop on a field trip to a hydroponic farm. She was telling me all about it and I became fascinated with it. After checking out a bunch of different systems, I decided to make a NFT system and a few Dutch buckets. They seem pretty straight forward and easy to make. We just "planted" in the NFT on Saturday and then the buckets yesterday.

The lettuce is growing like crazy so far and both the strawberries and peppers are doing really well, also. Probably the best part of growing with the hydroponics is it uses very little water and no soil. Here are a couple pics of what we have so far. I'm definitely going to be building more in the near future. Next time we will grow our own seedlings instead of buying the plants all ready to go.
Attachments
CaptainLeo
spearo

Postby CaptainLeo » May 28th, 2015, 9:21 pm

Apparently, I don't know how to post pics. Oh well.
CaptainLeo
spearo

Postby phil herranen » May 30th, 2015, 7:44 am

CaptainLeo wrote:
bucket.jpg
We almost decided not to replant this year because of the bad crops we had the last 2 years in our planter boxes. My wife took the Brownie troop on a field trip to a hydroponic farm. She was telling me all about it and I became fascinated with it. After checking out a bunch of different systems, I decided to make a NFT system and a few Dutch buckets. They seem pretty straight forward and easy to make. We just "planted" in the NFT on Saturday and then the buckets yesterday.

The lettuce is growing like crazy so far and both the strawberries and peppers are doing really well, also. Probably the best part of growing with the hydroponics is it uses very little water and no soil. Here are a couple pics of what we have so far. I'm definitely going to be building more in the near future. Next time we will grow our own seedlings instead of buying the plants all ready to go.

Hydroponics is cool and you can grow a amazing amount of food in a small space .
The next step is Aquaponics it combines fish and hydroponics , and in more advanced set ups rabbits . Basicly you feed the fish ( any freshwater fish works bluegills ,talapia , sturgeon ,trout) and the plants eat the fish waste and clean the water and you harvest the fish and plants . A 6x10' greenhouse will feed a 4 adults year round .
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby phil herranen » May 30th, 2015, 7:53 am

Big_Berg wrote:Slaughtering 18 meat birds on Sunday!

Life is ending at your place and just starting at mine , one of my hens just hatched a cluch of chicks
Attachments
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby CaptainLeo » May 30th, 2015, 1:08 pm

That's probably the way we are going to next, Phil. I just wanted to get this stuff up and running and didn't know if it took a while for fish to fertilize the water or not.
CaptainLeo
spearo

Postby phil herranen » May 30th, 2015, 5:55 pm

CaptainLeo wrote:That's probably the way we are going to next, Phil. I just wanted to get this stuff up and running and didn't know if it took a while for fish to fertilize the water or not.

do you remember my buddy jon parr ,the two of you were talking at the legends a few years back , he has been doing some really cool stuff . if you need some starter stock talapia i can get you a some , my local high school barrowd mine and has bread thousands for their system , so now i can get fry whenever i need them , mine are red's
http://www.fishnetaquaponics.com/
http://www.schoolgrown.com/
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby incredible_bastard » May 30th, 2015, 5:57 pm

Living in a apartment building with a lot of restrictions sucks really bad, but being in the business of landscaping and organic vegetable gardens for over over 10 years had gave me the chance to build and maintain gardens all over the Malibu coast and Pacific palisades area. Here are some pictures of some of the gardens and the harvests I had. Notice that the beds are now empty, because we are about to add the compost and worm soil that we also make.
Attachments
Incredible things happens in the ocean
incredible_bastard
polespearo

Postby incredible_bastard » May 30th, 2015, 6:00 pm

Couple more
Attachments
Incredible things happens in the ocean
incredible_bastard
polespearo

Postby Big_Berg » May 30th, 2015, 9:06 pm

Dang Phil what don't you do?! Aquaponics and breeding your own chicks, I'm jealous. I would love to learn both. I would really like to set up an aquponics system but have always been intimidated. When I was in high school I had a fish tank with a small system feeding to a few heads of romaine above it. It worked but I think I needed to bring it to a larger scale to make it worth the effort.

Would appreciate any intel you're willing to share! Pm or publicly.
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby phil herranen » May 30th, 2015, 9:29 pm

Look at the links , Jon is the man when it comes to Aquaponics .

But at the basics it's very simple feed the fish and the plants will grow , and have perk or raft beds depending on what the plants you grow like .

For the last couple weeks Jon has been building a trailer mounted demonstration system at my my house that will be kept at the feed and farm supply down the street from my house , I will take some pics when it's all done

http://www.mountainfeed.com , it's a great shop to have nearby , everything from dog food , to bees, to canning supply's , and vac bags , and all really well priced
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby Big_Berg » June 2nd, 2015, 10:03 am

Slaughtered those chickens solo, I'm going to need to get more organized and recruit some buddies next time.

Birds came out at roughly 7.50 per chicken. Weight was around 7lbs. So just over a buck a lb whole.

I also made about 7-10 gallons of primo stock from the carcasses I quartered.
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby GavinTexas » June 3rd, 2015, 6:15 pm

That's awesome!

I built a 4'x12' planter box for my wife but no luck growing anything yet.

Butchered a few rabbits 3 weeks ago though. They were delicious as always!
GavinTexas
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » June 3rd, 2015, 8:32 pm

GavinTexas wrote:That's awesome!

I built a 4'x12' planter box for my wife but no luck growing anything yet.

Butchered a few rabbits 3 weeks ago though. They were delicious as always!

Nice!

Would love to see you're rabbit operation! Butchering rabbits sounds nice, I was pretty tired of plucking birds. I so much prefer skinning.
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » June 3rd, 2015, 8:39 pm

Harvested and started drying some of the onions for storage. Just want to get that outer layer dry so they don't mold.
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Straz » July 7th, 2015, 8:35 am

Here are some shots of the progress of my crowded backyard organic garden. ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Straz
spearo

Postby phil herranen » July 11th, 2015, 7:00 pm

Tomatos are starting to run away , the cages are 5' tall and some are over the top allready , peppers ,tomatios, beans,squash , okra, eggplant , cucumbers , watermelons etc are all getting huge
Attachments
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby estayton760 » July 12th, 2015, 9:09 am

Just got my coop finished and the kids are stoked. ImageImage

estayton760
spearo

Postby Alex Ray » July 12th, 2015, 9:58 am

I love this thread, even though I don't have a backyard or even a yard to speak of. My wife and I have been inspired to attempt "farming" in the middle of the Crusty Mesa concrete jungle. We're a little late to the party this year, but circumstances (mostly wanting to find a use for bucket-caught pre-heat shower water) led us to give it a try anyways. It is SoCal after all, and everything seems to like the weather here. Here's our plot of land:
We built it a few weeks back, found a stables nearby that sells a compost/dirt blend for super cheap, survived a bout with the flu, then planted a week or so ago. Here are the first signs of life:
I know this is nothing like what a lot of you have going, but we're hoping to progress to your levels over the next couple years. In the meantime, keep this thread rolling!
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Behslayer » July 12th, 2015, 10:47 am

East Coast Colors
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Straz » July 18th, 2015, 7:55 pm

Cool photos Phil, Alex, and Jon. I think if anyone can eliminate any items off of the grocery store list it's a win win. Beyond organic is the way to go!! My little operation is always a work in progress and slowly evolving. Thanks everyone for sharing.

Straz
spearo

Postby phil herranen » September 4th, 2015, 9:13 am

It starting to get away from me now I pick around 25-50 pounds of tomatos every day or two and I have been up until 12-1 for the last 2 weeks canning

This is what I picked in one day
Attachments
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby Alex Ray » September 4th, 2015, 11:24 am

Holy crap Phil, that's awesome! All my everything died in the recent heatwave down here. We now have succulents holding down the fort until we get an idea of what to try and do for the fall....if it ever arrives.
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby chris oak » September 4th, 2015, 2:38 pm

Wow what great ideas. I'm going to start a small box as my winter project for next spring. I figure I can make it high enough so my dogs won't get into it.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Hang » November 16th, 2015, 10:53 am

Reviving an old tread, but THIS IS AWESOME. I definitely want to get something similar going at my place.
Hang
spearo

Postby Surfair72 » December 22nd, 2015, 10:34 pm

I am always late on the blogs but I grew a lot of stuff in the back yard. I learned it is all bout the soil. We have had chickens,turkeys and a pig. The best thing i can recommend is to look into aquaponics. The set up is simple and uses way less water and you get to raise fish too. We gave up this year just got to busy for the garden and a bobcat came in and ate 27 of our birds! If you can stock up on the rain water and only water the garden with it. World of difference in growth.
Surfair72
polespearo

Postby 'o cino » January 20th, 2016, 8:22 am

Big_Berg wrote:My wife went to the feed store and picked up 15 meat birds and 4 new laying hen chicks to add to our egg production. Goin to pick up 4 turkey chicks next Thursday.

We're looking at getting some laying chickens for this year since we have the room in the yard for a coop. I'm new to this, so is there any "noob" pitfall's to avoid? I've got the predator stuff covered and elevated hen house, but don't know much about what feed to use, music to play, etc.
Thanks!
Michael Dong "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion..."
Los Pistoleros
Sportsko Ribolovno Drustvo "Umag"
Centro Pordenonese Sommozzatori
'o cino
spearo

Postby phil herranen » January 20th, 2016, 8:29 am

Are you back in the states ? Or still in europe?

I use medicated chick starter for the first bag of feed ,then after that I feed them kitchen /garden scraps and let them forage in the yard , and I feed them the costco organic chicken feed . Make sure they allways have water and they will do fine
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby 'o cino » January 20th, 2016, 2:20 pm

Thanks Phil!
We're back in the States, DC area for a while.
Great info on getting the chicks started with prophylactic meds. I plan on letting them free range to keep bugs down. Looking into cold tolerant strains, as it get's cold in the winter here...the alternative is to heat the hen house or butcher and start fresh every spring, but chicks will take months before they lay.
Cheers!
Michael Dong "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion..."
Los Pistoleros
Sportsko Ribolovno Drustvo "Umag"
Centro Pordenonese Sommozzatori
'o cino
spearo

Postby Oscar » January 26th, 2016, 9:14 am

Our backyard Chickens, Chestnut, Cashew and Pepe. Pepe provides Brown eggs and Chestnut & Cashew the Baby Blue eggs.
Attachments
Oscar
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » August 14th, 2016, 10:23 am

I finally found a few a little time to sit down and show off some of my back yard farming projects. I have been pretty active back there this summer, but unfortunately I haven't been taking many pictures.

I started up a meat rabbit breeding set up. All of my rabbits are of good stock and are of the Californian meat variety. I started with two does and two bucks and currently have 21 rabbits including babies. I put them on an aggressive commercial breeding schedule for max production while I am not in school this summer. About half will be processed and the other half will follow suit shortly there after. I built a large two story (6 cage) hutch almost doubling the space recommended in each individual cage. I also recently finished building a grow out pen which is 10ft long by 3 ft wide.
Attachments
Last edited by Big_Berg on August 14th, 2016, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » August 14th, 2016, 10:29 am

I have been growing a majority of their food in addition to weeds and scraps. I still supplement with pellets to the breeding does and kits.
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » August 14th, 2016, 10:36 am

Also doing 5 turkeys which should be ready in a couple weeks. Did a few meat chickens as well that have been harvested and consumed already. If youre wondering that that cactus is growing on the side of the meat bird yard, Its dragon fruit. Neighbor lady gave me two and i gave her some produce!
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » August 14th, 2016, 10:38 am

Did a mesclun salad mix patch out front.
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » August 14th, 2016, 10:42 am

Had some weird crookneck romanesco hybrid volunteers pop up from compost of last years harvest. Squash family is known to cross pollinate. This new hybrid produces massive yellow fruit that are closer to an acorn/pumpkin than the zucchini. Still soft and great eating but with the massive fruit production most of it ends up as turkey or rabbit food.
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » August 14th, 2016, 10:48 am

Overview of garden from the first crop rotation, now going into my third. Will have to take some new pictures as it looks very different now.
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » August 14th, 2016, 10:51 am

Big broccoli side shoot from early in the season
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Big_Berg » August 14th, 2016, 10:53 am

Had a massive onion harvest. Dried the greens out for rabbit food.
Attachments
Big_Berg
spearo

PreviousNext

Return to Sitting Topside