TEDxMaui: When You Feel the Need to Speed Up, Slow Down

Off-topic conversations, cool videos and news stories. We ask that you keep politics/religion and bickering OUT of this section.

TEDxMaui: When You Feel the Need to Speed Up, Slow Down

Postby AJP » August 20th, 2016, 11:16 pm

My housemate just gave a TEDx talk in Santa Barbara. I didn't watch it. I don't give a shit about his talk, but it got me wondering if anyone has made one on spearfishing yet. I did a search and found out that Kimi Werner did one a while back which touched on freediving and spearfishing, but was centered around overcoming personal challenges.

Before watching it, I had a few ideas about her from seeing her in various forms of media in the past couple of years. It is a great talk and really introduces her as a person, which of course does not come through in media. I hope y'all give it a shot and watch it. I think that we are lucky to have such an outstanding emissary for our favorite pastime.

Enjoy!

Aaron P.
AJP
prick

Re: TEDxMaui: When You Feel the Need to Speed Up, Slow Down

Postby Jon Reed » August 24th, 2016, 8:43 am

Thanks for posting that, I really got a kick out of it.
Sent from the very core of who I am as a person.
Jon Reed
spearo

Re: TEDxMaui: When You Feel the Need to Speed Up, Slow Down

Postby db1 » September 11th, 2016, 8:31 am

Great Ted talk. I didn't know much about her. But I really like her message.

Especially when she walked away from competition. That's one thing I like so much about our community/tribe... contrary to the world of media and fame, we actually get to learn from people who never competed, never achieved a level of fame where people "start to listen"... but we get to learn their intimate and deep philosophies and techniques on hunting/diving.

I have been fortunate enough to make some friends who have experiences and lives that I truly respect. They have been gracious enough to teach me about this sport and the ocean, and I have evolved as a person because of it.

I feel very fortunate.

Thanks for posting
db1
prick

Return to Sitting Topside