Guns in California parks

Off-topic conversations, cool videos and news stories. We ask that you keep politics/religion and bickering OUT of this section.

Guns in California parks

Postby Greenbean88 » August 23rd, 2016, 8:50 am

This is an off topic question for some of you guys that are into camping or hunting. Me and my wife/ 9 month old baby are going camping in Sequoia national park, at Atwell Mill camp ground. We are putting together alot of things we need to bring and the thought crossed my mind about bringing a firearm for just in case protection. Do any of you guys know what the laws are around carrying/bringing a gun into a California park?

Thanks for your help

Erik.
Greenbean88
kook

Re: Guns in California parks

Postby phil herranen » August 23rd, 2016, 12:32 pm

Legally, no unless you have a ccl ,or are a cop . I don't think I would bring one since you have a small child and in a tent there won't be a place up high where it's out of reach but ready to use . A gun in a locked case is useless if you need it . Bear spray would be a better option
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby Greenbean88 » August 24th, 2016, 11:37 am

Thanks Phil for the heads up I'm going to pick up some bear spray this weekend. And I totally agree about the gun in the tent but my daughter does no crawl yet so it would have been safe enough. I will try and post up some picks and a quick report of that camping area when i get back for anyone that is interested.
Greenbean88
kook

Postby Steve G » August 24th, 2016, 12:24 pm

I visited Sequoia NP this past July. There is a sign at the entrance clearly stating that guns are not allowed in the park. If you plan to drive down to and visit the Kings River within the park' boundaries be sure to bring your fishing license and a few spinners.
Steve G
kook

Postby nightdiver » August 28th, 2016, 10:01 pm

Special laws govern at a campsite making it legal. But i don't think you can hike around with it. Search for that handgun safety certificate study guide it's in there toward the back. Don't get it stolen.
nightdiver
spearo

Postby nightdiver » August 28th, 2016, 10:07 pm

Well if it's a national park not a California park then maybe not. I didn't read your whole post just the title.
nightdiver
spearo

Postby Westbury » August 29th, 2016, 6:32 am

I thought if a National Park, then you can carry?

I just asked on Saturday night a Homeland security/ Coast Guard Douch nozzle that boarded me about carrying and he said you can?
Westbury
kook

Postby Steve G » August 29th, 2016, 9:05 am

Westbury wrote:I thought if a National Park, then you can carry?

I just asked on Saturday night a Homeland security/ Coast Guard Douch nozzle that boarded me about carrying and he said you can?

Unfortunately, some of these guys can't tell a sand bass from a white seabass so I wouldn't trust them.
Steve G
kook

Postby Hookin » August 29th, 2016, 10:47 am

From their website

https://www.nps.gov/seki/learn/manageme ... licies.htm

Weapons and Firearms

Discharge of a firearm or weapon is prohibited within Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. As of February 22, 2010, federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park.

As of January 1, 2013, California law prohibits the open carry of any firearm within the parks. Persons otherwise permitted to possess firearms (in general) may possess a concealed firearm with a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm (CCW) from California. A CCW from another state does not apply.

Weapons (including, but not limited to, BB, Pellet and Paint Guns, Bow/Arrow, Slingshots, Bear Spray and other compressed gas irritant devices) are illegal to possess. Federal law also prohibits firearms in certain facilities in this park; those places are marked with signs at all public entrances. This also applies to concealed firearms with a valid CCW.

It is the responsibility of park visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this park. As a starting point, please visit the State of California Penal Code web site (see Part 6 - Control of Deadly Weapons).
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby Qressor » January 26th, 2017, 11:30 pm

Special laws govern at a campsite making it legal. But i don't think you can hike around with it. Search for that handgun safety certificate study guide it's in there toward the back. Don't get it stolen.
Qressor
polespearo

Return to Sitting Topside