Bad barnacles

Off-topic conversations, cool videos and news stories. We ask that you keep politics/religion and bickering OUT of this section.

Bad barnacles

Postby Bill McIntyre » November 13th, 2016, 6:55 pm

If you ever needed incentive to keep your hull clean, an article in this week's Marine Corps Times has the reasons why. Or if you don't have a boat in the water, you can amaze your friends by reciting this trivia. Of course this is all about Navy ships, but I guess it apples to all vessels.

Clumps of barnacles can reduce vessel speed ben 10%.

Barnacles increase fuel consumption by 40%.

Barnacles cost the Navy about $500 million per year for extra fuel and maintenance.

The tensile strength of a barnacle's underwater -curing cement is 5000 psi.

There are 1400 species of barnacles world wide.

For 25 years the Navy has been trying to find a better way to repel barnacles that also meets environmental standard. They are now looking at a "hydrogel" material that will act as a slippery sealant.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Re: Bad barnacles

Postby Nate Baker » November 14th, 2016, 4:51 pm

Hence the name Barnacle Bill.
Nate Baker
kook

Postby Bill McIntyre » November 14th, 2016, 5:34 pm

I'm not crusty.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby castronova » November 15th, 2016, 1:06 pm

Crazy statistics, I'm living them.

When I dropped by boat in with the new motors my mpg was constantly 2.3 - 2.4 mpg with a normal load of fuel and divers. With the new props I put on I was getting 34 - 36 mph at around 4,200 rpm.

My boat has been in the water for a couple months now. At one point I just couldn't get out the green soft stuff on the side was like 16" long. That was easy enough to scrape from the side. I did get the guys at the yard to pull and pressure wash about 3 weeks ago but they only hit it quick. Just a small layer of tiny barnacles is on the bottom and at 4,200 rpm I'm just getting 31 -32 mph and can only achieve 2.0 - 2.2 mpg at around 30 to 32 mph. Huge drop in speed/economy for such a small amount of growth.
castronova
prick

Postby dam » November 21st, 2016, 10:12 pm

Nate Baker wrote:Hence the name Barnacle Bill.

:rofl:
dam
sea slayer

Return to Sitting Topside