BBC's short video clip on dorado and flying fish

Off-topic conversations, cool videos and news stories. We ask that you keep politics/religion and bickering OUT of this section.

BBC's short video clip on dorado and flying fish

Postby dam » July 10th, 2017, 2:29 pm

I've always been a big fan of BBC nature documentary but this little video is absolutely captivating:

If you have a chance, watch the whole series. It's called The Hunt. So good!
dam
diving god

Re: BBC's short video clip on dorado and flying fish

Postby jimikinz » July 10th, 2017, 6:00 pm

That's cool!
Thanks,
Jim Anderson
jimikinz
spearo

Postby db1 » July 24th, 2017, 7:55 am

Wow! What amazing footage! Man, I love to see Dorado in the ocean... so beautiful
db1
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » July 24th, 2017, 8:57 am

I used to see that all the time in the Atlantic off North Carolina, but I've always wondered why I don't see it out here.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby kavachi » July 24th, 2017, 1:48 pm

EPIC! thanks for posting Dam!
kavachi
polespearo

Postby Erizo » January 25th, 2018, 12:11 pm

I saw this a couple of years ago in front of SCI.
Erizo
spearo

Postby woody » April 1st, 2018, 10:50 pm

Epic !
woody
kook

Postby kathy » July 26th, 2018, 8:58 am

This is great! We are big David Attenborough fans in our house, especially any having to do with the ocean or sealife.
When we were on the Peace Boat recently we sat on the deck at night and watched the Sea Lions chase flying fish. Pretty amazing to see those fish maneuver and fly to escape.

I went and did some reading about the dorado and learned that flying fish constitute ~25% of their diet. Also found this very cute photo of a 2" baby dorado:

This photo is by Doug Perrine

Another food chain fact from this website:
"Dolphinfish are commonly observed with holes pierced through them by marlin bills."

Info and photo from here:
https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/fish/ ... -hippurus/
kathy
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » July 26th, 2018, 2:14 pm

kathy wrote:This is great!
When we were on the Peace Boat recently we sat on the deck at night and watched the Sea Lions chase flying fish. Pretty amazing to see those fish maneuver and fly to escape.

That reminds me of a night when I was anchored at Fish Hook at San Clemente Island. I woke up to something banging the hull hard, and I ran out to the cockpit sure that we had swung onto the rocks. But it turned out to be a sea lion chasing flying fish and they would get airborne and run into the boat. There was a lot of bioluminescence that night and the flying fish would leave streaks of fire, while the sea lion looked like a glowing torpedo chasing them.

Earlier, while we were eating dinner right after dark, one of my buddies was sitting in the door of the pilot house. A flying fish got airborne so high that it glanced off of his head and went up to hit the inside of the front windows. It flopped around a while until we grabbed it and threw it back overboard.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bill McIntyre » July 26th, 2018, 2:19 pm

And speaking of Fish Hook- one summer long ago I was seeing huge schools of flying fish while we were hunting yellowtail there. Now and then they would pause, then one fish would spread its wings, and then all the other fish would spread their wings. They weren't trying to fly- they were just stationary in the water. I saw that behavior two or three different days at that same spot, but I've never seen it again. Has anyone else seen this?
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby John Hughes » August 17th, 2018, 4:37 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:And speaking of Fish Hook- one summer long ago I was seeing huge schools of flying fish while we were hunting yellowtail there. Now and then they would pause, then one fish would spread its wings, and then all the other fish would spread their wings. They weren't trying to fly- they were just stationary in the water. I saw that behavior two or three different days at that same spot, but I've never seen it again. Has anyone else seen this?

I've never seen that but sounds pretty cool. I have had my own experiences at Fish Hook with the flying fish and Sea lions though. The first time I heard all the commotion in the pitch black I made the mistake of turning on one of those hand held million watt flashlights to see what was happening. I had a flying fish almost take my head off. It was pretty fun turning that light on and off and seeing them turn mid air and aim right for it.

We also had some bitchen experiences with those fishing the long range boats. They would aim for the house lights and hit the windows all night long. In the morning we'd pick them up, open up their wings and staple them to paper plates. We'd then put them in the freezer until frozen and then send them out on the kites. Nothing like seeing cow tuna erupt 100 yards out on your frozen flying fish :greetings-clappingorange:
John Hughes
cupcake

Return to Sitting Topside