Deep diving whales

Off-topic conversations, cool videos and news stories. We ask that you keep politics/religion and bickering OUT of this section.

Deep diving whales

Postby Bill McIntyre » February 10th, 2019, 10:59 am

This is pretty incredible. They've been recorded as diving as deep as 1.9 miles with an hour of bottom time and a two-minute surface interval. And it says we have a population off Southern California. I've never even heard of a Cuvier's Beaked Whale, much less seen one. Have any of you guys seen one?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/07/scie ... e=Homepage
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Re: Deep diving whales

Postby Steve G » February 10th, 2019, 4:10 pm

Interesting. Despite my storied deep diving talents I have never seen one. Crazy long breath hold. You'd think that these things must be the sloths of the whales.
Steve G
sea sniper

Postby Alfonso » February 10th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Nice mascara. :sad-teareye:
Alfonso
noob

Postby dam » February 10th, 2019, 8:40 pm

Steve G wrote:Interesting. Despite my storied deep diving talents I have never seen one. Crazy long breath hold. You'd think that these things must be the sloths of the whales.

That's so interesting, Steve! I've never seen them during some of my dives either! :bowrofl:

So cool how they've evolved to reach such environment. I'd kill to see footage of what they do down there, or of when a sperm whale hunt one of those giant squids. :'(
dam
prick

Postby NaClAddict » February 11th, 2019, 11:36 am

I saw a dead one washed up once. Giant bite mark, either a huge GWS or orca. Ivories were rotting out, there was a strip just hanging there. I still kick myself for not grabbing them.
NaClAddict
sea sniper

Postby castronova » February 11th, 2019, 11:50 am

Really cool read. Thank you for sharing.
castronova
sea sniper

Postby chris oak » February 11th, 2019, 8:05 pm

I thought sperm whales held that record. Beaked whales are usually very very skittish but John Hughes showed me a video of one once that swam right up to their boat.

On sperm whales it's kinda crazy, the spermaceti oil in their head solidifies as they go deeper and works like a weight. I think they go down and blast the squid with a series of focused clicks that disorients them so they can eat them.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby dam » February 12th, 2019, 1:19 pm

chris oak wrote:I thought sperm whales held that record. Beaked whales are usually very very skittish but John Hughes showed me a video of one once that swam right up to their boat.

On sperm whales it's kinda crazy, the spermaceti oil in their head solidifies as they go deeper and works like a weight. I think they go down and blast the squid with a series of focused clicks that disorients them so they can eat them.

Like a sonic boom?! :bow-blue:
dam
prick

Return to Sitting Topside