Outboard brand?

Off-topic conversations, cool videos and news stories. We ask that you keep politics/religion and bickering OUT of this section.

Outboard brand?

Postby Eric S. » March 12th, 2019, 9:14 pm

My boat was stolen today and stripped of the motor. It was in a locked storage yard and they jumped the fence, cut the chain to the automatic gate and towed her off. Boat was stripped, abandoned and posted on Facebook before I even knew it was gone.
There is a special place in hell for thieves...
So, I'm in the market for a new outboard. The boat had a Honda 130 prior to being violated. It was perhaps a bit overpowered.
I'm curious about what other guys are using and if they have any advice. My buddy has a mechanic he trusts and I plan to
ask him as well.
Figure 115hp
Thanks for any thoughts and advice.
Eric
Attachments
Eric S.
polespearo

Re: Outboard brand?

Postby castronova » March 13th, 2019, 5:07 am

Thats the worst. Sorry man.

Yamaha, Suzuki, Mercury all good in the 115 range. They will be much lighter than the Honda most likely as Honda tend to be very heavy.

I have twin Suzuki's now and at almost 400 hours have not had any issues and they were the cheapest while offering the most new tech/advancements at the time. I also do all my own service including water pump, in-block zincs, spark plugs, etc. and it couldn't be easier. Good luck.
castronova
sea sniper

Postby NaClAddict » March 13th, 2019, 8:41 am

Did they take the controls? Not a huge expense but one to consider when repowering. I run a yamaha 150 and love it. Parts are a little pricey but she runs good.
NaClAddict
sea sniper

Postby dam » March 13th, 2019, 8:54 am

What the hell, that sucks! Does the storage yard offer any compensations or insurance money?
dam
prick

Postby Austin Balk » March 13th, 2019, 10:55 am

That’s a major bummer and I’m really sorry to hear it. I saw this on Coastside as well. I’ve only owned Yamahas and have no complaints. Hondas are supposed to be pretty good (aside from some early 2000’s what had corrosion issues) but are heavy. Suzuki is well-regarded, lighter and cheaper than some others. Were I re-powering I would look hard at Yamaha and Suzuki and I would consider looking in Oregon as well... no sales tax.
Austin Balk
noob

Postby Eric S. » March 13th, 2019, 11:01 am

They did not take the controls. They started to pull up the floor to remove the controls, but must have changed their mind and just cut everything. They pulled the motor, batteries and the Rigid lights that were mounted on the T-top.
Reality is, they stole an old worn out motor. It was a 2000 motor with about 3000hrs on it.
I hope it catches fire on them.
Eric S.
polespearo

Postby Eric S. » March 13th, 2019, 11:04 am

Storage yard does not assume any liability.
Unfortunately salmon season starts in a few weeks and I won’t be coming south for WSB this year.
Eric S.
polespearo

Postby chris oak » March 13th, 2019, 1:41 pm

Sorry to hear about that :(. The hall show had specials on yamahas, there was even one vendor who had blem ones with scratches on the cover etc. I know eric from specialty marine sells similar honda blems dirt cheap.

I've had yamahas and hondas. I prefer yamahas but they are expensive. Make sure you have a good mechanic onhand, your buddys mechanic might only be trained in johnson, yamaha etc. When things go wrong you want a good mechanic and the factory trained guys usually spot the problem a lot faster.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Eric S. » March 13th, 2019, 3:49 pm

Thanks guys. It seems Yamaha and Suzuki are high on everyone’s list. I’ve had one old Mercury and it fought me at every step.
Eric S.
polespearo

Postby Nate Baker » March 13th, 2019, 3:54 pm

So aggravating...

Chris has a good point. Maybe the most important part of the process is making sure you can readily get factory parts and qualified service where you/the boat lives. These days you're pretty safe buyingg almost any brand of engine.
Nate Baker
sea sniper

Postby phil herranen » March 14th, 2019, 7:56 am

That sucks . At least they didnt use a chainsaw to cut out the transom to remove the motor, that happened to a friend in Florida
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby Eric S. » March 14th, 2019, 9:03 am

phil herranen wrote:That sucks . At least they didnt use a chainsaw to cut out the transom to remove the motor, that happened to a friend in Florida

That sucks!
Thankfully they did not trash the boat.
Some of the recent thefts on the water, they have set fire to the hull.
Eric S.
polespearo

Postby gringo sushi » March 14th, 2019, 10:13 am

That is such a shame that happened to you. So aggravating to have to deal with that type of miss fortune. Sounds like you are finding the positive in it...a new motor!!! and that's Exciting

Here is my experience for whatever it may be worth:

I got sold on the two-stroke Evinrude ETEC (25hp) years ago by a trusted mechanic and couldn't be happier. Since then I had another boat in need of an outboard and got one for that too (40hp) and just as happy with this one.

I was originally dead set on getting a 4 stroke but was swayed by the following arguments that he provided:
-more power vs weight
-less service: 4 strokes need oil/filter change every 100 hrs. None of that with 2 strokes. I just change lower unit lube and impeller every 3 years
-more reliable: 2 stroke is mechanically much simpler motor, less moving parts, less to go wrong and less costly to fix if something does go wrong

The obvious downside is having to burn 2 stroke oil. It has an injection system and when running the synthetic (XD-100) it calculates out to at about 90:1 (I keep detailed data on the 40hp so all numbers are from the 40).
Oil ends up adding about $0.45 per gallon to the cost of running.
In the 85 hours that I have put on the 40hp so far, I have run a total of 125 gallons for an oil cost of about $55. (note: assumptions ignoring break in oil change for 4 stroke and two-stroke break in oil consumption of about 2X for first 20 gal burned)
If it was a 4 stroke I'd be looking at an oil change soon (if not already, I tend to do them early). Not sure what oil and a filter would cost me so a big deciding factor on the cost/benefit would depend on if I was doing oil changes myself or paying a shop to do it. DIY would probably be about break even. Paying a shop I'd be behind.

Having one of the two boats in the water, not having to pull it for service...priceless

Good luck with your situation and whatever you decide :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

“There is one thing which gives radiance to everything. It is the idea of something around the corner.” G.K. Chesterton
gringo sushi
spearo

Postby VangysWay » March 14th, 2019, 11:30 am

Wow that sucks. Sorry to hear that... There is nothing I dislike more than thieves. I have a new Yamaha 200 that has been great to me, but, it is brand new with less than 50 hours on it so I would expect nothing less.

A buddy of mine in Nor Cal is coming down 4/26 and we're going to take my boat out for the weekend to dive the islands for seabass. Since you got screwed on going out yourself, you're more than welcome to join us that weekend if you would like... :obscene-drinkingcheers:
VangysWay
sea sniper

Postby Eric S. » March 14th, 2019, 4:34 pm

VangysWay wrote:Wow that sucks. Sorry to hear that... There is nothing I dislike more than thieves. I have a new Yamaha 200 that has been great to me, but, it is brand new with less than 50 hours on it so I would expect nothing less.

A buddy of mine in Nor Cal is coming down 4/26 and we're going to take my boat out for the weekend to dive the islands for seabass. Since you got screwed on going out yourself, you're more than welcome to join us that weekend if you would like... :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Thanks dude! That's a very generous offer. Unfortunately, I work most weekends. Which works out great for solitude on the water and in the woods, but not so much for joining others. Sorry I never got back to you about LS pig hunting.
I had some fun hunts planned for this fall, but they may have to wait. I didn't have the boat insured...
Eric S.
polespearo

Postby VangysWay » March 20th, 2019, 4:01 pm

Eric S. wrote:
VangysWay wrote:Wow that sucks. Sorry to hear that... There is nothing I dislike more than thieves. I have a new Yamaha 200 that has been great to me, but, it is brand new with less than 50 hours on it so I would expect nothing less.

Thanks dude! That's a very generous offer. Unfortunately, I work most weekends. Which works out great for solitude on the water and in the woods, but not so much for joining others. Sorry I never got back to you about LS pig hunting.
I had some fun hunts planned for this fall, but they may have to wait. I didn't have the boat insured...

Damn. Bummer. No worries at all. We got on a huge sow multiple days in a row but couldn't seal the deal. Gave my buddy Eric some intel and he went and smoked her the following day. I'll send ya a pic :eusa-dance:
VangysWay
sea sniper

Return to Sitting Topside