CA Deer Season (Regular Opener)

Off-topic conversations, cool videos and news stories. We ask that you keep politics/religion and bickering OUT of this section.

CA Deer Season (Regular Opener)

Postby Andrew » September 19th, 2019, 9:09 am

General season is upon us in the Bs, Cs, and some of the Ds, and Xs. I'm going to give it a few weeks and pay attention to the weather and the full moon in mid-October. Will anybody else be out chasing blacktails or muleys?
User avatar
Andrew
polespearo
 
Posts: 37
Joined: July 2019
Location: Bay Area

Re: CA Deer Season (Regular Opener)

Postby dariian » October 1st, 2019, 5:16 pm

I'll be hunting the south D16 and A22.
User avatar
dariian
spearo
 
Posts: 181
Joined: August 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: CA Deer Season (Regular Opener)

Postby Andrew » October 2nd, 2019, 2:41 pm

Good luck out there. I'm going to trade in my hall pass for a few days in B1 and B3 later this month. I'm hoping that I can time some weather. It's set to warm up here again. You have to take it with a grain of salt at this point, but it looks like we might get a change in weather mid-month on that full moon.
User avatar
Andrew
polespearo
 
Posts: 37
Joined: July 2019
Location: Bay Area

Re: CA Deer Season (Regular Opener)

Postby kon » October 2nd, 2019, 9:39 pm

I was lucky enough to land 2 wild pigs and a 3x3 blacktail with my bow, on A zone public land, all during the first week of archery season back in July. I was hiking 12+ miles a day over steep hills in 100 degree heat, but I loved it! I just got into hunting so this was my first season, and suffice it to say I’m hooked. It’s certainly different than spearfishing, and more challenging in some respects, but no less fun IMO.

Good luck! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

User avatar
kon
polespearo
 
Posts: 39
Joined: May 2015

Re: CA Deer Season (Regular Opener)

Postby Andrew » October 3rd, 2019, 9:50 am

Hell yes, Kon! You earned that one. A Zone hunts are notoriously brutal and you got it done with a bow. Like you, I've transitioned to hunting from spearfishing. As you said - definitely different, definitely hard, definitely a lot of fun.

Are you going to run another tag for rifle or archery before the season is over?
User avatar
Andrew
polespearo
 
Posts: 37
Joined: July 2019
Location: Bay Area

Re: CA Deer Season (Regular Opener)

Postby kon » October 4th, 2019, 7:29 am

I have another AO tag but my wife and I spend most of the year in Tahoe now, so I decided to spend archery season in Aug here looking for black bear in X8 instead of deer in D5. I called two in so far but didn't get a shot, so now that general season is here I switched to a rifle to increase my odds. I've been going out practically daily for evenings hunts, but haven't managed to call another one in yet. The country out here is gorgeous, so luck or no luck, I'm just happy spending time in the mountains!
User avatar
kon
polespearo
 
Posts: 39
Joined: May 2015

Re: CA Deer Season (Regular Opener)

Postby Andrew » October 4th, 2019, 12:19 pm

Sounds like you are living the dream, buddy. Good for you! Look forward to seeing photos of your bear when you bag it.
User avatar
Andrew
polespearo
 
Posts: 37
Joined: July 2019
Location: Bay Area

Re: CA Deer Season (Regular Opener)

Postby VangysWay » October 7th, 2019, 10:38 am

kon wrote:I was lucky enough to land 2 wild pigs and a 3x3 blacktail with my bow, on A zone public land, all during the first week of archery season back in July. I was hiking 12+ miles a day over steep hills in 100 degree heat, but I loved it! I just got into hunting so this was my first season, and suffice it to say I’m hooked. It’s certainly different than spearfishing, and more challenging in some respects, but no less fun IMO.

Good luck! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

2BCC78EA-2553-4C6D-AA91-300602C5102D.jpeg


Wow. That's epic man! Wild pig on public land is no easy feat and that is a nice buck! I got really close to a giant sow at Lake Sonoma but couldn't put it all together.

Over the past two years, bow hunting has consumed me. I shot a doe last year and a black bear, but sadly didn't recover the black bear as I hit him a little far back. This year I shot my first buck in A zone south. I am hooked and love bow hunting as much as I love spearfishing.

Image
User avatar
VangysWay
prick
 
Posts: 755
Joined: February 2014
Location: Los Angeles

Re: CA Deer Season (Regular Opener)

Postby Andrew » October 7th, 2019, 9:01 pm

That's another fine buck! Congratulations. You fellas have set a high bar.
User avatar
Andrew
polespearo
 
Posts: 37
Joined: July 2019
Location: Bay Area

Re: CA Deer Season (Regular Opener)

Postby kon » October 8th, 2019, 7:35 pm

VangysWay wrote:Wow. That's epic man! Wild pig on public land is no easy feat and that is a nice buck! I got really close to a giant sow at Lake Sonoma but couldn't put it all together.

Over the past two years, bow hunting has consumed me. I shot a doe last year and a black bear, but sadly didn't recover the black bear as I hit him a little far back. This year I shot my first buck in A zone south. I am hooked and love bow hunting as much as I love spearfishing.


Thanks buddy! Nice work on the buck, that's a beautiful 3 pointer! I landed a 3rd pig a week or two after that first week, I think pigs are definitely much easier than deer considering their poor eye sight. Like with any game animal, the trick seems to be finding them!
User avatar
kon
polespearo
 
Posts: 39
Joined: May 2015

Re: CA Deer Season (Regular Opener)

Postby Andrew » October 21st, 2019, 11:13 am

I had to toss my B-zone tag into the JetBoil. Spent the weekend climbing up and down some steep country in the Yuki Wilderness, but didn't so much as see a buck. Found plenty of fresh scat (deer & bear), but didn't see any animals. I love it up in the B Zones, but the 5ish hour one-way drive to the put-in is too much. I think that I'm going to turn my attention to A-Zone South next season so that I can trade hours in the car for hours in the field.
User avatar
Andrew
polespearo
 
Posts: 37
Joined: July 2019
Location: Bay Area

Re: CA Deer Season (Regular Opener)

Postby VangysWay » October 21st, 2019, 11:50 am

Andrew wrote:I had to toss my B-zone tag into the JetBoil. Spent the weekend climbing up and down some steep country in the Yuki Wilderness, but didn't so much as see a buck. Found plenty of fresh scat (deer & bear), but didn't see any animals. I love it up in the B Zones, but the 5ish hour one-way drive to the put-in is too much. I think that I'm going to turn my attention to A-Zone South next season so that I can trade hours in the car for hours in the field.


As it goes. Bowhunting is tough as hell and can be really discouraging... I'll always take more time in the field over more time in the car, but don't give up on Yuki!

Image
User avatar
VangysWay
prick
 
Posts: 755
Joined: February 2014
Location: Los Angeles

Re: CA Deer Season (Regular Opener)

Postby Andrew » October 21st, 2019, 12:37 pm

That buck is a stud. Congrats! :eusa-clap:
User avatar
Andrew
polespearo
 
Posts: 37
Joined: July 2019
Location: Bay Area

Re: CA Deer Season (Regular Opener)

Postby Andrew » October 22nd, 2019, 11:04 am

VangysWay wrote:
Andrew wrote:I'll always take more time in the field over more time in the car, but don't give up on Yuki!


And I haven't given up just yet. I marked the fresh deer scat I found with my GPS while I was stinking up the woods to get the lay of the land. I've got half a mind to daytrip back up this week, find a rock, and glass for a few hours now that I've found a couple of draws spilling into a common drainage that seem to have recent activity. If I sit it out I'm SOL until 2020.
User avatar
Andrew
polespearo
 
Posts: 37
Joined: July 2019
Location: Bay Area


Return to Sitting Topside

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users