Oak’s Accomplishment.

Off-topic conversations, cool videos and news stories. We ask that you keep politics/religion and bickering OUT of this section.

Oak’s Accomplishment.

Postby Nate Baker » June 2nd, 2020, 2:04 pm

Wow LonkedIn says he’s been at the Cabrillo Aquarium for thirty years. Holy cow, that's impressive. To think anyone could tolerate him for that long boggles my mind. :D
Nate Baker
sea sniper

Re: Oak’s Accomplishment.

Postby Bill McIntyre » June 2nd, 2020, 4:22 pm

So I guess he was about 35 when he started?
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby NaClAddict » June 2nd, 2020, 5:17 pm

He’s a specimen, that’s for sure. We should fear the day he’s released back into the wild.
NaClAddict
sea sniper

Postby Donzi Paul » June 2nd, 2020, 6:31 pm

I bet he eats good.

Cheers, Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby John Hughes » June 2nd, 2020, 7:10 pm

unfortunately I still don't think he gets any respect. Between the eco nazis he works with and the locals leaving bags of dog poop on his car windshield, the guy can't catch a break.

I mean who would actually leave dog poop on somebody's car? That's so low. Hehehe :bowrofl:
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby chris oak » June 4th, 2020, 9:13 pm

Wow, thanks guys..I think :madrun:

It's been a wild ride for sure. Started out as a part timer in programs when I was in college, the only reason I got hired is because I knew a lot about fish from fishing. Then I worked in outreach, then transferred to the aquarists where I am now.

I don't make a ton of cash but I get to wear shorts to work and have grabbed lobsters on the beach by work, shot halibut and a few seabass there at lunch too which is crazy. The bummer is that our aquarium is run by the city of la and we are going to have big budget cuts and we are going to lose staff along with a hard hiring freeze. Still I can't complain, it's been the best job I've ever had and who can complain about being around fish all day and getting to raise some from babies :).
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby John Hughes » June 5th, 2020, 7:23 pm

I may talk some smack Chris but you do good work down there. I'm really lucky to live so close and have young kids that I can take down there and enjoy what you guys have. Having my son just start Kindergarten at a Marine Science Magnet school, it's awesome to be able to go down and back it up with some real life examples. And not only that, but it's freeeeeeeee :)

Keep up the good work brother!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Donzi Paul » June 6th, 2020, 10:20 am

All kidding aside, I really appreciate the commitment Chris has made to our mother ocean and our fishes :greetings-clappingorange: :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Cheers Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
kook

Return to Sitting Topside