Need help from the tribe

Off-topic conversations, cool videos and news stories. We ask that you keep politics/religion and bickering OUT of this section.

Need help from the tribe

Postby Donzi Paul » July 17th, 2020, 7:15 am

I have a unshaped Clark Foam paddle board blank from the very early 80's . It was part of the 4 last blanks to be made, my old friend life guard Capt Baird had the sister blank. Some time in the next couple months I believe I will need a board for a paddle out. My question is this; do I leave unshaped to be a part of history or find a old school shaper and build a family keepsake? Could I paddle it out once without a keel and have it shaped later. Thanks guys

Cheers, Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
kook

Re: Need help from the tribe

Postby chris oak » July 17th, 2020, 9:38 am

Don I'm guessing you would need a surfboard guy or a fiberglass guy to answer the question. You might try contacting Jeff Hull, hes a surfboard guy who also builds boats:
http://www.resistsurfboards.net/contact

I don't know anything about surfboards but I've seen his builds on older Radons and it's pretty amazing.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Austin Balk » July 17th, 2020, 2:22 pm

Hi Don,
That’s a cool piece of history. Definitely don’t paddle it out without first having it shaped and glassed. Maybe try contacting Joe Bark, Eaton, or another established paddle board shaper. If the name isn’t important I’ve got a buddy in Northern California who shapes beautiful surfboards as well as prone paddle boards and is an accomplished paddler in his own right. He might be able to help or offer advice. Let me know if you want his info.

Alternately, I would imagine that some of the old-school lifeguards might have an appropriate board that you could borrow if you are on a tight timeline. I was a State guard in Huntington back in 2000 before moving north and guarding up there for a bunch of years. I might be able to re-connect with some friends who where there long before that, if you want me to reach out.
Austin Balk
noob

Postby Donzi Paul » July 18th, 2020, 7:51 am

Thanks Chris and Austin, Ill find something to paddle out and get a local shaper to do the board this winter.

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby NaClAddict » July 18th, 2020, 5:46 pm

I think the drive up to Torrance to see Joe Bark is the way to go. Joe is a spearfisherman and all around waterman. I’m sure he could shape you whatever you want whether it’s a race board or a dive platform.
NaClAddict
sea sniper

Postby Donzi Paul » July 19th, 2020, 7:59 am

NaClAddict wrote:I think the drive up to Torrance to see Joe Bark is the way to go. Joe is a spearfisherman and all around waterman. I’m sure he could shape you whatever you want whether it’s a race board or a dive platform.

I like this color..
Great ,,thanks mate.
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby phil herranen » July 19th, 2020, 8:48 pm

Definitely dont take it out unglassed , you have 3 options, keep it as is ,glass it as is without shaping, have it shaped by a oldschool shaper . It's all up to you I have a couple unshaped clark blanks also and have the same decision to make . If your paddle out is only a couple months away you are probably already too late to get it shaped and glassed in time , especially by anyone good unless they were a mutual friend of the friend the paddle out is for
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby Donzi Paul » July 20th, 2020, 6:31 am

Thanks Phil, I'm going to wait till this winter to make a decision as to shape or leave as is. I have a old Oneil sail board and a paddle I can use depending how far I have to carry,
it.

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
kook

Return to Sitting Topside