Dont launch your boat on a flatbed trailer

Off-topic conversations, cool videos and news stories. We ask that you keep politics/religion and bickering OUT of this section.

Dont launch your boat on a flatbed trailer

Postby chris oak » January 1st, 2021, 9:43 am

This message brought to you by sinkingboats.com
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: Dont launch your boat on a flatbed trailer

Postby Bill McIntyre » January 1st, 2021, 11:45 am

That was painful. I expected that the truck was going to be launched too.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Re: Dont launch your boat on a flatbed trailer

Postby chris oak » January 1st, 2021, 2:50 pm

Yah it was, I guess the story is the guy tried to get his trailer fixed at the ramp. From what it looked like the axle was toast so he had a flatbed trailer try to launch it. The angle was too steep and it dunked the stern, I'm not sure if his pump failed or what because the entire stern stayed submerged. That boat showed up a while later for sale as "recently remodeled".

I almost lost our work truck during the covid shutdown. The entire launch ramp was closed to the public and you couldn't even get your rig to the ramp if you wanted to. We still had to launch to collect our specimens and one day we were on a minus tide. The entire ramp was super slippery because of algae build up and because no one else was launching and I backed the truck up to unhitch the boat. I put the truck in park with the parking brake on, and stepped outside. The next thing I knew the entire truck and boat started sliding towards the water. I luckily had the door to the truck open (part of my launch sequence is to have the truck idleling, windows rolled down and the door open just in case something happens) and I jumped back in and hit the regular brakes, then threw it into gear and slowly pulled up. Holy shidt I was shaking as I've been doing this for 30 years and never had that happen. BTW that time the truck was in 2 wd mode as usually I don't put it into 4wd until we are pulling the boat out. I also did not take my own boat to that ramp until it had been open a few weeks so the algae was worn down a bit.

Since then I changed my launch sequence. I now back up the truck in 4 wheel drive mode engaged, windows and doors unlocked and rolled down windows. Then as soon as I hit the ramp tilt I stop the truck and carefully unhitch the boat and safety chain. I slowly back down until the motor is in the water and let the operator fires up the engine. As soon as it's warmed up a bit he gives me thumbs up and I back it the rest of the way down. As soon as he pulls away I drive the trailer up and wait until the tubes drain and then park it.

A lot of my coworkers get annoyed because it takes a few extra minutes to do this but better safe than sorry. There have been a few times when my coworkers launched the boat without having the motor running and if you stall out it can be a problem if it's windy there.
chris oak
Enforcer

Return to Sitting Topside