Using a depth finder on a kayak?

New to spearfishing and have a question on gear, rigging, or something you need help with? Don't be shy, we all had to start somewhere. Ask it here!

Using a depth finder on a kayak?

Postby spearthebigones » November 30th, 2018, 7:09 pm

I've got a Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13 Angler Sit-On-Top Recreational Fishing Kayak Image
And I've wondered about adding a depth finder to find new reefs out in deeper/possibly muddy areas on the ocean.
Has anyone used a depth finder to find new reefs on their kayak?
Or is it just a waste of money for this purpose?
Daniel
spearthebigones
spearo

Re: Using a depth finder on a kayak?

Postby chris oak » December 1st, 2018, 1:33 pm

I had one on my old malibu xtreme kayak. You kind of use it like a thru hull function, but the key at that time was you had to glue it in without getting any bubbles in the glue. There might be other ways to do it nowadays though. Worked great, I used to see structure as well as fish on it when I was fishing.

If you go this route you want to make it as waterproof as possible, I would unclip my fish finder and put it in a tupperware box which went in the hatches as did the batteries. I removed this everything I launched and beached, this is because I'm probably the best kayak dumper you have ever seen and would pearl or roll said kayak almost everytime.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Nate Baker » December 2nd, 2018, 8:04 am

One of the scuppers is modified to fit a transducer, yes?

I opted out of a fish finder. Electrical in a kayak, where everything is wet seemed like a maintenance headache. There have been instances in which having one would have been helpful, but not many.

If you have a handheld gps you only have to find a spot once. After that you can paddle to your waypoint. Plus, between lobster buoys and kelp and swimming around you can explore pretty effectively. Where the kelp isn’t thick, and the wind is light you can clip the yak to your floatline and pull it along with you. Or, in current you can live boat yourself.

Current conditions (runoff) not withstanding this time of year when viz is often epic is a good time to go explore.
Nate Baker
prick

Postby Sir Rob IV » January 12th, 2019, 6:44 pm

Sorry for the late response.

Up north we use them a lot since most of our diving is by kayak. I have one in my Tarpon 160, with the battery wires running to the front and the battery held up by a battery bag.
https://www.austinkayak.com/products/26 ... g-Kit.html
Had the same battery for 3 years and no problems, I think I have replaced the wire connections once.

As for the transducer I use a "wet well" or "water bath" pretty much computer foam with a hole to fit the transducer. The wet well should be water proof to hold water and transducer in it. After I launch Ill just use my glove to fill the hole with ocean water. If you would like I can post pictures later on how its set up.

Also a lot of kayak anglers use this method as well.
quick example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOhPylA0WcM
Sir Rob IV
spearo

Postby Robert Watson » January 14th, 2019, 7:32 am

I have that same kayak. I use a Hummingbird C120. The transducer fits directly into one of the scupper holes.
Robert Watson
spearo

Return to New Spearo Questions