USED WSB or YT GUN

New to spearfishing and have a question on gear, rigging, or something you need help with? Don't be shy, we all had to start somewhere. Ask it here!

USED WSB or YT GUN

Postby jrucker23 » August 23rd, 2020, 10:58 am

Hey everyone I am Jackson Rucker I'm a 14 year old from Palos verdes. I have been spearfishing for about 6 months now and have become addicted to the sport. I was wondering if anyone has any old guns or gun just in general for YT or WSB. I have had expierence around people shooting them for a couple months and have learned the basics of the gear you need. I have most of the basics like kelp carrot, 75 foot float line all i need is a good gun within 50' and 60' inches. I have been shooting halibut and calicos and smaller fish for awhile now and im looking to move up and shoot some bigger fish. Please let me know if you have any guns or advice for me I am here to learn and listen. My price range is between 3-400 dollars, the gun doesn't need to be in great condition just good enough to be able to shoot.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by jrucker23 on September 22nd, 2020, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
jrucker23
noob

Re: USED WSB or YT GUN

Postby grometito » August 23rd, 2020, 12:14 pm

Hey I have something you might be interested in. It’s a Steve banks affinity 58” rear+.

Teak stock, 3 laminates, beautiful grain. Beefy
Enclosed track Delrin/uhmw
Alexander mech and handle
Rear+, not quite full midhandle for less recoil
60” Riffe 5/16” threaded American shaft with tri cut slip tip, with cable
300# mono rigged for breakaway
Band elevators so bands sit parallel to shaft

I just put fresh new bands on it, 3x 14mm small id to 360%. The pic has the old bands

I’m looking to get around $450 for it
Attachments
grometito
polespearo

Postby jrucker23 » October 3rd, 2020, 6:20 pm

grometito wrote:Hey I have something you might be interested in. It’s a Steve banks affinity 58” rear+.

I just put fresh new bands on it, 3x 14mm small id to 360%. The pic has the old bands

I appreciate it man but that thing looks like an absolute unit I don't think I could swing that if I saw a YT or WSB. Wong or a Koah would probably be ideal but im looking for a three band gun with a reel and slip tip.

Thank you, Jackson
jrucker23
noob

Postby chris oak » October 3rd, 2020, 8:27 pm

Jackson I really like your modesty and willingness to learn things correctly. I would caution you about going all in on bigger pelagics because they are very different than hunting reef fish. If you haven't started using them yet a euro 110 or 120 aluminum is a great starter gun for progressing. I like rob allens because they are bulletproof and if you drop them on the rocks on your beach entry they won't break up. You can pick up a used one for fairly cheap and even use a slip tip if you desire.

Hunting bigger game is a big step, can you or your buddy dive down to 60 feet and cut one out of the kelp? What would you do if the fish wraps your arm or leg as it runs? What happens if the reel jams? It is definitely rare to happen but any fish over twelve or so pounds can kill you, I shot a yellowtail a few weeks ago in the 20 lb class and was amazed at how fast it tried to wrap me on the surface, I had to continously throw line off my body while trying to control it. No way would I have been ready for that as my first big fish.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby jrucker23 » October 4th, 2020, 9:37 am

chris oak wrote:Jackson I really like your modesty and willingness to learn things correctly. I would caution you about going all in on bigger pelagics because they are very different than hunting reef fish. If you haven't started using them yet a euro 110 or 120 aluminum is a great starter gun for progressing. I like rob allens because they are bulletproof and if you drop them on the rocks on your beach entry they won't break up. You can pick up a used one for fairly cheap and even use a slip tip if you desire.

Hunting bigger game is a big step, can you or your buddy dive down to 60 feet and cut one out of the kelp? What would you do if the fish wraps your arm or leg as it runs? What happens if the reel jams? It is definitely rare to happen but any fish over twelve or so pounds can kill you, I shot a yellowtail a few weeks ago in the 20 lb class and was amazed at how fast it tried to wrap me on the surface, I had to continously throw line off my body while trying to control it. No way would I have been ready for that as my first big fish.

Whenever I go paddy hopping or go for bigger fish I go with my uncle John Grant who has speared tuna and has been spearfishing for about 20 years and my cousin who is experienced too.
I have used some sea sniper guns and riffe euros in the 120 range. I am interested in rob allen's too, I saw a 130 tuna with a aussie reel and mori slip tip on craigslist but someone snagged it before i could buy it. :mad:

If I get wrapped I go through the steps of getting out of it by dropping the weight belt using my dive knife to cut the line and as last resort squirming out of it but to never panic because that can make the situation worse. My uncle can dive around 60-80 and my cousin 60 at least. I never go with someone I know I can't trust If I ever get into a scary situation like that because I'm basically trusting that they can stay calm and collected and help me if I ever need it.
jrucker23
noob

Postby chris oak » October 4th, 2020, 7:51 pm

You couldn't ask for a better mentor, no wonder you are taking your time and asking the right questions. JG is a stand up guy and you will be in safe hands, I thought maybe you were diving by yourself off the cliffs in p v and that would be terrible in case you got into trouble. Keep checking the classifieds and you'll see another rob allen pop up, I saw a great one a year ago and put one of my coworkers on it. For wood guns too, see if you can borrow a couple from your uncle and friends. Setting up a target will save you time. A lot of guns shoot a bit differently, especially hybrids, rollers etc. Then once you narrow down your choice you can start watching the classifieds the last thing you want to do is buy a gun and not like it. I went thru a ton of guns before learning that and now I have a real nice quiver.

Of course there is no gun that will do it all for pelagics but if you are looking at dedicated wood guns I'd say 57 thru 65 will be a decent compromise. I love my gil 59" so cal tracker for seabass but the new 67 ulusub I just got has been working great for yellowtail but they are definitely out of your price range. I'll keep my eye out and will pm you if I see anything come up that's wood, I've seen some real bargains go around 300 from time to time.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby John Hughes » October 5th, 2020, 5:51 am

grometito wrote:Hey I have something you might be interested in. It’s a Steve banks affinity 58” rear+.

that's a pretty smoking deal right there! Pretty much perfect for what you're asking for but agreed that it might be a bit much for a 14 year old. I love the realistic modesty. I think Chris may be right in that a 120 or 130 pipe gun may be a better fit for you at this point and capable of taking down both yt and wsb.

Asking some good questions Jackson, keep it up. Having JG as your cousin will help you. That guy is legit :)
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby dam » October 5th, 2020, 8:24 am

John Hughes wrote:

that's a pretty smoking deal right there! Pretty much perfect for what you're asking for but agreed that it might be a bit much for a 14 year old. I love the realistic modesty. I think Chris may be right in that a 120 or 130 pipe gun may be a better fit for you at this point and capable of taking down both yt and wsb.

Asking some good questions Jackson, keep it up. Having JG as your cousin will help you. That guy is legit :)

Agreed except I don't think it's much for a 14 YO. He'll grow in no time. grometito's gun is great size for most situations. Not terribly long for low vis/thick kelp and carries enough punch for bigger wsb and yt. If you're hunting yt in clear vis, you might have to pick your shots more carefully, but again totally doable in most cases. If you're shore diving, so what if you scratch and dent it. Tons of people shore dive with way more expensive guns. Assuming nothing's wrong with the gun, you will be using it for life. Of course if price is out of range then nothing you can do. But don't discount on this deal if you think it's too big. I don't think it is. Maybe borrow a similar sized gun and see how it feels.
dam
diving god

Postby grometito » October 5th, 2020, 8:56 am

If you want to try the gun out you are welcome to. I started doing a couple things to it to make a more dedicated wsb gun out of it so I can’t sell it for the full price anymore. I had in mind to move the handle up to make it a true midhandle, put on an Alexander muzzle and ditch the band elevators. Taper cut the extra wood, New rubber butt pad from Mori

Otherwise a decent and low $ setup for wsb or yellowtail could be a pathos 120 with slip tip. Or a used riffe euro. Little more expensive but easy to use, I like the deeper open track with magnet
grometito
polespearo

Postby NaClAddict » October 5th, 2020, 9:24 pm

If money is a factor, Rob Allen shafts have survived more reef impacts and big fish than any other shaft/tip combo. I simply will not pull off on a fish if I think my Mori tip is going to impact rocks. I might for a quality WSB or yellow, but even then I know it might cost me. Rob Allen flopper? Blast away! A quality mid handle shaft and tip is around $150. Even slight bends or tip mis alignment throws aim off. Shaft straightening is difficult or money. It is also the beginning of the end of a shaft.
NaClAddict
kook

Postby jrucker23 » October 8th, 2020, 8:45 am

dam wrote:
John Hughes wrote:

Agreed except I don't think it's much for a 14 YO. He'll grow in no time. grometito's gun is great size for most situations. Not terribly long for low vis/thick kelp and carries enough punch for bigger wsb and yt. If you're hunting yt in clear vis, you might have to pick your shots more carefully, but again totally doable in most cases. If you're shore diving, so what if you scratch and dent it. Tons of people shore dive with way more expensive guns. Assuming nothing's wrong with the gun, you will be using it for life. Of course if price is out of range then nothing you can do. But don't discount on this deal if you think it's too big. I don't think it is. Maybe borrow a similar sized gun and see how it feels.

Dam I'll admit I'm kinda a stick im 6'1 165. I might fly away if I shoot that gun but it looks like a good gun that I would use in a year when I'm a little bigger and more experienced in diving for wsb. PV has a decent amount of kelp but it's never really good unless you go to certain spots. I know of some spots that are known to have wsb and yellows but it's rare that you can get perfect conditions while shore diving. I'm looking for a rob allen 120 or 130 or a nice riffe gun. I'm not looking for the best gun but just a gun that can help me land bigger fish and still stay in one piece.
jrucker23
noob

Postby jrucker23 » October 8th, 2020, 8:48 am

NaClAddict wrote:If money is a factor, Rob Allen shafts have survived more reef impacts and big fish than any other shaft/tip combo. I simply will not pull off on a fish if I think my Mori tip is going to impact rocks. I might for a quality WSB or yellow, but even then I know it might cost me. Rob Allen flopper? Blast away! A quality mid handle shaft and tip is around $150. Even slight bends or tip mis alignment throws aim off. Shaft straightening is difficult or money. It is also the beginning of the end of a shaft.

Yah I've heard a lot of good things about rob allens. My first gun was a 100cm omer that didn't have a very good shaft that got beat up and rusted in about 10 dives at catalina and san clemente. I have learned after a couple dives that shot placement and angle is important to not mess up your shaft. When you bend or dent your shaft it's kinda downhill from there with your aim and power.
jrucker23
noob

Postby chris oak » October 8th, 2020, 2:54 pm

Rob allens and rabitechs are similar in design and built bulletproof. I've had other rail guns that were too frail imo. In your price range you could get a used rob allen/rabitech and then get a nice stainless shaft from mori or addiction shafts and add one of mori's slip tips and you'd be solid. You can still run breakaway on a railgun and a floatline or go with a reel. Right now it's the end of pelagic season until seabass so you have time, just be patient and don't buy anything unless it's a great deal.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby VangysWay » October 8th, 2020, 3:50 pm

I have a 120 Mantis I would sell you. Let me know if you’re interested. Perfect starter gun for yellowtail and WSB.
VangysWay
prick

Postby NaClAddict » October 9th, 2020, 12:05 pm

Rob Allen shafts all day in euros for me. They’re so durable. Who cares about rust.
NaClAddict
kook

Postby John Hughes » October 11th, 2020, 4:01 pm

NaClAddict wrote:Rob Allen shafts all day in euros for me. They’re so durable. Who cares about rust.

I actually find that with my RA 130 I rarely even have to pull the trigger. I just point the rusty tip at the fish and they just quiver and roll over. Everybody I dive with has the same reaction when I pull off my tip protector. :eek:
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby jrucker23 » October 13th, 2020, 8:03 am

NaClAddict wrote:Rob Allen shafts all day in euros for me. They’re so durable. Who cares about rust.

Agreed I put one on my omer 100 and it's the most durable shaft I've ever had.
jrucker23
noob

Postby jrucker23 » October 13th, 2020, 8:05 am

John Hughes wrote:

I actually find that with my RA 130 I rarely even have to pull the trigger. I just point the rusty tip at the fish and they just quiver and roll over. Everybody I dive with has the same reaction when I pull off my tip protector. :eek:

Lmao that's what happeneded with my omer shaft that rusted and got bent in the first five dives with it. I was then stuck with name "crooked weiner" thanks to the bent tip
jrucker23
noob

Postby dam » October 13th, 2020, 9:02 am

John Hughes wrote:

Chay has one and he calls it la infeccion, if the shot doesn't kill fish, the infection surely will. :rofl:
dam
diving god

Postby NaClAddict » October 14th, 2020, 3:36 pm

My 90 still rocks it’s OG shaft. Bounced it off all kinds of schnitzel. My pole spear mentors swore the rusted 3 prong was fish trapping friction, especially with the internally beveled chisel point. But that’s another topic. Regardless, I still honor that tradition. Hagi hagi style, finest kind cuz!

TLDR:rust may help retain fish or I’m just a lazy addict.
NaClAddict
kook

Return to New Spearo Questions