New to spearfishing- looking to purchase a boat

New to spearfishing and have a question on gear, rigging, or something you need help with? Don't be shy, we all had to start somewhere. Ask it here!

New to spearfishing- looking to purchase a boat

Postby tmitch » October 21st, 2020, 5:16 am

I've recently gotten into to spearfishing, living in Sarasota. I've only speared in the intercoastal, bridges and other structures. I'm looking to buy a boat for a lot of reasons, but a major one would be to go out to some of the shallower dive sites in sarasota (20-40ft) to spearfish. With a budget of about $9,000, do you guys think getting a bay boat (key largo, whaler, small cc) work for this?
tmitch
noob

Re: New to spearfishing- looking to purchase a boat

Postby chris oak » October 21st, 2020, 7:02 am

I did a write up on that: http://www.spearingforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2720

Florida has waaaaay better boat deals than california has, I bet you can easily get what you are looking for. But make sure you do a lot of research on hull designs. You guys don't typically get the rough water like we do here, at least close offshore. I think a lot of your choice is going to be distance you are going from shore (you will have to figure out gas tank size etc) and also what you will be doing mostly with it. Overnight? Flats fishing? Bait tank? Swim step?

No boat can do every single thing but you can find one that does 90 percent of what you are looking for. I see a lot of guys fishing and diving off the older twin vee platforms out your way, a 17' used with 4 stroke can be had for about 6-9k.
chris oak
Enforcer

Return to New Spearo Questions