New Wetsuits for my son and I? Amazon suits crap?

New to spearfishing and have a question on gear, rigging, or something you need help with? Don't be shy, we all had to start somewhere. Ask it here!

New Wetsuits for my son and I? Amazon suits crap?

Postby bropecia » November 24th, 2020, 3:43 pm

Hi all. My son and I would like to get into spearfishing, but will be taking it slow. Meaning, I'll get him in the water the first year, just to snorkel and explore and get acclimated without even thinking about guns. After which, we'll be looking for a mentor to take things further.

My question is, are any of the cheaper suits coming up on amazon like the link below, suitable (warm enough) just to see if he wants to stick with it? Or do I, by buying a cheaper suit, risk him feeling cold and having a bad experience?:

https://www.amazon.com/Layatone-Neopren ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

I'm 50, he's 13. Both of us are skinny - he's already 5'10 i'm 5'11... if any of that matters regarding buying online. I would take him to a dive shop, and maybe I will, but presently mindful of the covid numbers creeping up and browsing online first.

Thanks!
bropecia
noob

Re: New Wetsuits for my son and I? Amazon suits crap?

Postby chris oak » November 24th, 2020, 6:56 pm

7mm should be warm enough for the winter diving, but finding a suit that fits your son might be a problem. When I clicked on that link the reviews were pretty low and I didn't recognize the name so I'd avoid that suit. The challenge for a lot of suits is they vary in size tremendously, there is no standard L, M etc they vary from maker to maker. You can definitely order them cheaper online but a lot of times the return is a hassle.

What city do you live in? We can point you to some reputable stores, some of them like Spear America have fitting rooms and will let you try the suits on. Most places will not allow that. If you are unsure if you are going to stick with it, you can also look at craigslist, facebook etc and try to find a good used suit. Most 7mm suits will run in the range of about 200-700, I'd say about 300ish is the norm. Yazbek is having a killer sale on black friday as well but you will need to talk to Roger Yazbek to find out the correct size, I am between medium and large on most suits (I'm 5'll 160 lbs) but on the Yazbek I needed an XL.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby bropecia » November 24th, 2020, 10:32 pm

Great thanks Chris! very helpful. I'll look into Yazbek.

I'm in Los Angeles.
bropecia
noob

Postby John Hughes » November 25th, 2020, 6:12 am

bropecia wrote:Hi all. My son and I would like to get into spearfishing, but will be taking it slow. Meaning, I'll get him in the water the first year, just to snorkel and explore and get acclimated without even thinking about guns. After which, we'll be looking for a mentor to take things further.

My question is, are any of the cheaper suits coming up on amazon like the link below, suitable (warm enough) just to see if he wants to stick with it? Or do I, by buying a cheaper suit, risk him feeling cold and having a bad experience?:

https://www.amazon.com/Layatone-Neopren ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

I'm 50, he's 13. Both of us are skinny - he's already 5'10 i'm 5'11... if any of that matters regarding buying online. I would take him to a dive shop, and maybe I will, but presently mindful of the covid numbers creeping up and browsing online first.

Thanks!

there are much more established suit makers out there that you can buy close to that price. Look at Mako. Also other brands can run in the 200 range. If you go that route, and the kid isn't into it, at least you'll be able to sell the suit after he quits. You buy some junk from Amazon and you'll be stuck with it.

It doesn't hurt to ask around on the sites here as well. A lot of times guys have gear they would be willing to sell cheap or just donate to the cause. I just gave away two suits to friends that were getting started and most free divers are gear junkies.

One other thing, not sure what your time frame is but starting the kid out when the water is warmer instead of when it's freezing might have a better result for you. Kids are tough, but being cold for anybody isn't much fun. Suits are cheaper as well. :)
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby bropecia » November 25th, 2020, 9:32 am

Ok got it! Really appreciate the advice.
bropecia
noob

Postby chris oak » November 25th, 2020, 9:36 am

In Los Angeles the closest freedive shop with lots of suits is probably spear america in Torrance. Dave is the owner and is a really nice guy. There's also spear america in irvine and a couple of other dive shops in san diego but that's probably too far unless you are going there for vacation. You can always order online from the different shops but making sure the suit fits is always hard when you aren't there in person.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby VangysWay » November 25th, 2020, 10:26 pm

I've got a suit that will fit you that you can just have. It was gifted to me and it's just taking up space. I'm in LA as well. Feel free to PM me if you're interested.
VangysWay
sea sniper

Postby bropecia » November 27th, 2020, 9:39 am

Oh wow, thanks! so gracious. I'll pm you. since i'm buying two suits, that will ease a little of the pain!
bropecia
noob

Postby bropecia » November 27th, 2020, 9:53 am

Hoping any admin or mod can give my account permissions to PM. I tried and it tells me I don't have authorization.

thanks!
bropecia
noob

Postby chris oak » November 27th, 2020, 10:34 am

You will need at least 10 posts before you can send pms, it's an anti spam safety feature.

Alex can you shoot him your email address? thanks
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby bropecia » November 27th, 2020, 10:52 am

Oh got it, thanks.
bropecia
noob

Postby VangysWay » November 28th, 2020, 12:24 pm

bropecia wrote:Hoping any admin or mod can give my account permissions to PM. I tried and it tells me I don't have authorization.

thanks!

PM'd you.
VangysWay
sea sniper

Postby SeaG » December 1st, 2020, 9:47 pm

VangysWay wrote:I've got a suit that will fit you that you can just have. It was gifted to me and it's just taking up space. I'm in LA as well. Feel free to PM me if you're interested.

I think its actions like these that set the freedive spearfishing community apart from most. I was gifted my first speargun when I was just a grommet, and it left a lasting impression. Good stuff man.

As far as buying from amazon, I try my best to support local businesses especially now a days. I'd prefer they keep their doors open, than give any more of my money to jeff bozo. Just my two cents :obscene-drinkingcheers:
SeaG
noob

Postby bropecia » December 3rd, 2020, 3:48 pm

couldn't agree more. :)
bropecia
noob

Return to New Spearo Questions