What are the best booties for diving?

New to spearfishing and have a question on gear, rigging, or something you need help with? Don't be shy, we all had to start somewhere. Ask it here!

What are the best booties for diving?

Postby chris oak » November 22nd, 2017, 8:24 am

Dam brought this up, IMHO it's the argos booties. They are made super well and last a long time, I'd say they have outlasted my old booties probably ten times. I always coat my booties with plumbers goop or goop where the ball of the foot rests and the heel is, this is because when I'm walking on rocks I don't want them to tear as easily. The bottoms are made super tough anyways. I've had the same pair for at least 4 years now.

If anyone has any glove recommendations let me know, I've torn up every single type of glove during bug season. I need something 3mm thick with a rynohyde or dynema palm/fingers. If any spearing mfgs are reading this, it would be great if you could extend the rynohyde/dynema to the outside of the pointer fingers as when you are unloading bands they hit that and tear them up. I coat all of my gloves with goop on the fingertips and the outside pointer finger. I would prefer a velcroless one if you can make the wrist tight enough as the velcro is a pita.
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: What are the best booties for diving?

Postby Rob102 » November 22nd, 2017, 9:01 am

+1 for the Argos booties.

I have similar issues with gloves in NorCal. With scallops being so abrasive, and urchin spines tearing me up, I contacted a glove manufacturer. They said they could make a glove to my specifications (not in neoprene) but I would have to make a minimum order of 5,000-10,000 pairs.
Rob102
spearo

Postby dam » November 22nd, 2017, 9:44 am

Argos last forever AND there's a left and right. What more can you ask for?

As for gloves, I agree with Oak on extending the kevlar past the finger tip into the purlicue (new word for me). That's where it tends to rip first.
dam
diving god

Postby Chet » November 22nd, 2017, 10:18 am

Argos for the booties.

As far as gloves go, Mako gloves look ugly as gloves can be but they are the most durable I have found.
Mako CALIFORNIA KEVLAR DIVE GLOVES.
Chet
noob

Postby dam » November 22nd, 2017, 10:34 am

Whoa, those gloves got that extra kevlar lining I was looking for!
dam
diving god

Postby Bill McIntyre » November 22nd, 2017, 4:32 pm

Argos

They're so watertight that I punch a hole in the sole under my heel so that I'm not standing a a bootie full of cold piss in the boat.
Last edited by Bill McIntyre on November 22nd, 2017, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Rob102 » November 22nd, 2017, 5:05 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:Argus

They're so watertight that I punch a hole in the sole under my heel so that I'm not standing a a bootie full of cold piss in the boat.

Best advertisement ever.
Rob102
spearo

Postby NaClAddict » November 23rd, 2017, 5:27 pm

Brazilian booties for the win! They're the best booties for everything. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
NaClAddict
spearo

Postby NaClAddict » November 23rd, 2017, 7:19 pm

Okay, serious post now. Argos are the best out there now. However, I once had some Coral Reef booties that had a hard neoprene sole. Quiet, comfy, and durable. Those booties lasted for years of trail hikes. Riffe made some with a soft rubber sole that was quiet in fins but they delaminated within a season.
NaClAddict
spearo

Postby castronova » November 27th, 2017, 1:06 pm

Argos, no question in my mind.
castronova
prick

Postby VangysWay » November 27th, 2017, 5:00 pm

NaClAddict wrote:Brazilian booties for the win! They're the best booties for everything. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

:naughty: :naughty:
VangysWay
prick

Postby scorpaenichthys » November 29th, 2017, 10:03 am

The 2mm Argos were a bit too small for my foot pockets, and the 4mm were a bit too tight, so I ended up with a pair of the 3mm Hatch booties. I love them so far, and they've been holding up to rocky shoredives just as well as the Argos did.
scorpaenichthys
polespearo

Postby SBH2Oman » November 30th, 2017, 6:00 am

I’ll echo the comments about Argos booties. I’ve had probably 4 pairs but all of them have had a tendency for the seams to unravel on the main joints (but they are sewn and glued). I always hit them with neoprene glue before first use and tack down the stitching. They are super comfy and warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
------------------------------
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Postby 32juan » December 6th, 2017, 9:59 am

I've used both Argos and hatch booties, and I can honestly say that I prefer the hatch ones. The soles have the Kevlar lining like lobster gloves, and the seams are already glued.
Juan-Carlos Aguilar
ISDC
32juan
spearo

Postby gringo sushi » December 6th, 2017, 7:50 pm

+1 on the argos for comfort and durability. I have a spare pair I've been dragging around for years because my first pair are still doing fine after coating the bottoms with AquaSeal (same idea as your plumbers goop)

When it comes to gloves for bugging the only pair I'll wear is the Akona All Armor Tex.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004P ... UTF8&psc=1

They have no insulation so get cold but there is nothing I've tried better for grabbing bugs. I tried the insulated version and it just wasn't the same. I took a break from them for half a season and tried some others and missed a lot of grabs. Went back to them and the velcro grip action was back.
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

“There is one thing which gives radiance to everything. It is the idea of something around the corner.” G.K. Chesterton
gringo sushi
spearo

Return to New Spearo Questions