New Forum

From growing your own fruits and veggies, to Aquaculture to Raising Livestock, you asked for it, here it is.

New Forum

Postby chris oak » March 1st, 2020, 5:54 pm

I got a few pm's asking about the avocado stuff and other things so we're going to have a side forum here. I'll see if I can move the last discussion about the avocados and direct watering. I've got a new aquaponics system I'm tightening up at work that I'll also add soon.
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: New Forum

Postby Behslayer » March 1st, 2020, 11:12 pm

Cool. Count me in. I'm building a lot of things so I'll try to document some of the processes.
Behslayer
sea sniper

Postby Andrew » March 2nd, 2020, 11:32 am

This is great, Oak. Thank you for creating this new forum.
Andrew
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » March 2nd, 2020, 12:00 pm

Will we have a smackdown for biggest avocado?
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby John Hughes » March 3rd, 2020, 8:38 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:Will we have a smackdown for biggest avocado?

That's one I won't be entering. I have a black thumb and I'm not even kidding.

maybe you guys will inspire me but I doubt it.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Behslayer » March 4th, 2020, 10:56 am

Hughes start with something easy. This time of year, try planting some Sugar Snap Peas. Go to your local nursery and get a few which are already sprouted. Just put them in the ground near something they can grow on. Kids love those. It's all about a few successes. Very similar to diving. If you can harvest Fat WSB. You can definitely harvest Sugar Snap Peas, Kale, Collard Greens, Tomatoes, Potatoes, Onions, Garlic, Bush Beans, Chilli Peppers and other easy to grow foods. Kids are going to love it. Figure out your Sun Map at your house. Where do weeds/grass grow well in the summer? Get a Tape Measure and mark out an 8' x 4' spot in that area. Then Dig it up and shake out the Grass or weeds and remove the rocks. You can Edge it with some 2x8 and fill in with some other soils or not. It's that simple. Just start. First dive. Take a few pieces of bamboo make a teepee and plant Sugar Snap Peas around it. Your kids will sit inside and eat them.
Behslayer
sea sniper

Postby gringo sushi » March 5th, 2020, 9:56 am

Love It, Great Idea Chris!

I look forward to sharing and seeing all of the ways that other waterpeeps are growing their own as well as hearing the reasons/philosophy for why.

One of the reasons I'm into fishing and gardening is to provide for my family "Food of Known Origin". With the crazy things that are happening out there in commercial Ag it's hard not to worry about what goes on with our food before we pulled it off the grocery shelf.
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

“There is one thing which gives radiance to everything. It is the idea of something around the corner.” G.K. Chesterton
gringo sushi
spearo

Postby Andrew » March 5th, 2020, 2:53 pm

gringo sushi wrote:Love It, Great Idea Chris!

I look forward to sharing and seeing all of the ways that other waterpeeps are growing their own as well as hearing the reasons/philosophy for why.

One of the reasons I'm into fishing and gardening is to provide for my family "Food of Known Origin". With the crazy things that are happening out there in commercial Ag it's hard not to worry about what goes on with our food before we pulled it off the grocery shelf.

In addition to the reason that you gave, I find that gardening makes me more attuned to the rhythm of the seasons. I find it relaxing to slow down to "plant speed." I enjoy watching the bees and other pollinators do things. Heck, I don't even mind the occasional battle with aphids or the odd deer that eats all my corn (OK ... may have gone too kumbaya on that last point).

It's also made more appreciative of food and for the people who labor to grow it a scale that can feed billions of people safely (aside from the odd extra dose of Round-up).
Andrew
spearo

Return to Agriculture