Packing for Travel

General info and questions about your spearing and diving!

Packing for Travel

Postby Trace » December 6th, 2017, 5:23 pm

Hey Guys I'm taking a trip to Hawaii and bring some gear in a Sportube II. I guess my biggest question is how safe are carbon fiber fins packed in the tube with the ginger care the airlines take with our bags.
I would like to thank you for any input on packing for this kind of travel.
Trace
Trace
kook

Re: Packing for Travel

Postby Rob102 » December 6th, 2017, 9:57 pm

They will be fine. If they ask what is in the sport tube I tell them fishing gear. I try to keep the tube as small as I can because it exceeds the dimensional size for Hawaiian airlines so they might charge additional fees, but they let me slide when I told them it was fishing gear.
Rob102
spearo

Postby castronova » December 7th, 2017, 4:51 am

Never had a problem CF fins in a sport tube. I usually strap a gun to each side, fill in between the 2 guns with floatlines and floats, mask/snorkel, etc. up to the middle then slide the fin blades down the side and the foot pockets fill in between the guns at the top.
castronova
prick

Postby Trace » December 7th, 2017, 4:57 am

Thank you for the input JP & Rob.
Trace
kook

Postby Rob102 » December 7th, 2017, 8:13 am

On a trip to Maui I took a RA 130. It was so long I took the spear out of the gun to shorten up the sport tube. When I got the tube, the spear was sticking through the plastic. I had a chunk of band on the tip of the spear, it was the loading end that was poking through. On the way back I put tip protectors on both ends of the spear.
Rob102
spearo

Postby dam » December 7th, 2017, 9:31 am

castronova wrote:Never had a problem CF fins in a sport tube. I usually strap a gun to each side, fill in between the 2 guns with floatlines and floats, mask/snorkel, etc. up to the middle then slide the fin blades down the side and the foot pockets fill in between the guns at the top.

This guy packs. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dam
diving god

Postby castronova » December 8th, 2017, 8:03 am

Use schedule 20 PVC with end caps for shafts or tip protectors or even a cardboard tube with end caps and a screw. PVC is best because you can put on the boat/panga whatever, when you go diving and have all your spare shafts nice and neat. I usually travel with a lot of shafts so all that cable will not fit in a tube. I just cut a 3" long 1/8" slit down from one end of the pipe so all the lines slide in and the loops can stick out of the tube then put the cap over and it holds snug. I mostly use small zip ties for line management but lately I've been using the wire ties from loafs of bread of ice bags and they are even easier and of course free.

Obviously that has nothing to do with CF fins but...
castronova
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » December 8th, 2017, 8:51 am

castronova wrote:Use schedule 20 PVC with end caps for shafts or tip protectors or even a cardboard tube with end caps and a screw. PVC is best because you can put on the boat/panga whatever, when you go diving and have all your spare shafts nice and neat. I usually travel with a lot of shafts so all that cable will not fit in a tube. I just cut a 3" long 1/8" slit down from one end of the pipe so all the lines slide in and the loops can stick out of the tube then put the cap over and it holds snug. I mostly use small zip ties for line management but lately I've been using the wire ties from loafs of bread of ice bags and they are even easier and of course free.

Obviously that has nothing to do with CF fins but...

Well hell, I thought I had an original idea for once.

I do the same thing except that I'm using a smaller pipe. I'm not traveling and we don't bend shafts in California like you guys in Florida do, but I generally bring one extra shaft for each gun. The shaft with slip tip might be in the the gun and a flopper shaft is in the pipe, or vice versa. A rubber band keeps the line from flopping around. It keeps things nice and neat. I wish guys who bring spare shafts on my boat would do this.
Attachments
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Return to Spearfishing & Freediving