We lost another one of our own :(

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

We lost another one of our own :(

Postby chris oak » June 12th, 2019, 8:50 pm

I just heard about this today and it showed up on another thread. For those of you who didn't hear, Robert Luiz passed away in a diving accident. He went by Sir Rob IV and was a frequent visitor here and I believe he was a member of the Monterey Bay Tritons. He left behind two young daughters and a wife :(. There is a gofund me page here: https://www.gofundme.com/in-loving-memory-of-robert-luiz?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fb_dn_cpgnsharemore_r&fbclid=IwAR2lqH6q93HwlKQ0Veudvm7uLvIfH8djbm0mttB1MEUxvW6_PqxjC8Vfb1A

I didn't know Rob but he was a really nice guy here and I can't imagine what his family is going through. These things always hit close to home, we are in one of those hobbies that can kill you and we always seem to lose a few friends along the way. Dive Safe guys, RIP Rob.
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: We lost another one of our own :(

Postby maskoff » June 12th, 2019, 10:41 pm

wow shook. a beautiful soul who loved his family and loved our sport :( Dive safe everyone, RIP Rob.
maskoff
polespearo

Postby Donzi Paul » June 13th, 2019, 5:08 am

Very sorry to hear this, my prayers go out to his family and friends.

Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby dctrjayyy » June 13th, 2019, 7:01 am

So sad. My best to his family.
dctrjayyy
spearo

Postby Karma Trees » June 13th, 2019, 7:35 am

Damn so sad...he had young kids!!!!
RIP Sir!
blakeschilling@gmail
Karma Trees
spearo

Postby Behslayer » June 13th, 2019, 10:03 am

That is Terrible. I hope we can come together and do something for his Wife and Kids. What happened?
Behslayer
kook

Postby maskoff » June 13th, 2019, 10:45 am

i'd like to know details too if possible. was chatting with Rob the night before his accident, wondered why I never got a report the following day..
maskoff
polespearo

Postby castronova » June 13th, 2019, 10:59 am

Absolutely terrible. This could be any one of us. So sorry for his wife and kids.

Information on the accident would be great if we can learn from it.
castronova
prick

Postby Captn Ron » June 13th, 2019, 7:51 pm

so sorry to hear.... could be any one of us.
i swim in circles alot
Captn Ron
spearo

Postby dam » June 14th, 2019, 11:13 am

My condolences to the family and friends. As stated by everyone, this could have happened to any of us. Be extra careful out there, guys.
Last edited by dam on June 14th, 2019, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: My sources were all wrong. I deleted the false info as not to spread misinformation and rumors. Hopefully the real details can come out so we could learn from it.
dam
diving god

Postby U/c Spearo » June 15th, 2019, 3:57 pm

Rob was a great guy. He was on our Triton trip to La Paz (Sea Sniper BaJa)and that is were the accident occurred. A Go Fund Me has been established under his name. God bless !!
U/c Spearo
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » June 15th, 2019, 9:54 pm

I'm on my 4th whiskey so Ill speak more freely. Although I did not ever meet Rob and only ''know him here, Ive spent time the last 4 nights with images of of him and his beautiful family at the wee hrs of gray light. I've lost many friends this way....it does not get easier.
How he went to heaven is not impotent now. Let's as divers just think of the love we have for this man and his beautiful family and just take any steps we can to not leave this world, even if we were doing what we love..... I will try to be a safer diver, what about you?

Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Behslayer » June 16th, 2019, 11:34 am

It's tough when these things happen. But I am sure that Rob would want us to discuss What happened here. What was the cause. What could be changed so that this exact scenario can be recognized and avoided in the future. The Collective Knowledge we share here can make a difference. It is painful and strange to discuss the passing of one of the Tribe in an impersonal analytical way. But the sooner it is discussed, the fresher the information and detail. It may be just one detail which sticks in another person's mind which saves them. It's the beginning of the Diving season for so many right now. I am certain that Rob would want any information which could help another diver to be shared here.

Was it clear? What was the depth? etc. There is always a cause. This sport is evolving. Equipment, Depths, Target Species, etc. we need to discuss these tragedies in order to recognize causes and patterns. Safe Diving IS a collection of knowledge of these causes and patterns.
Behslayer
kook

Postby chris oak » June 16th, 2019, 1:58 pm

I agree, this is a very important topic and hopefully once we get the info we can save a few lives down the road. Right now the rumors I am hearing is there will be a spokesperson who was there and who will talk about the accident. Until then we will just have to sit and wait it out, no use speculating.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Bill McIntyre » June 16th, 2019, 4:02 pm

I hope we’ll hear what happened but I wouldn’t bet on it. It’s always “we can’t discuss this now because it’s too sensitive for his family” or something like that. I can understand that but then time goes by and we never discuss it.

Over 20 years ago I lost a dive buddy in La Paz. After I got him cremated and brought him home as carry on luggage to save money, with the permission of his wife I wrote a long email to the Freedivelist detailing exactly what happened and how it felt to be the one handling it. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that since then but it’s a shame. We need a kick in the ass if there is any hope of cleaning up our acts. Without the details we can just have a vague impression that it was something that would never happen to us.

I hope I’m wrong.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby mikeme » June 17th, 2019, 10:46 am

So sad. May he rest in peace.
mikeme
kook

Postby TheKeeneroo » June 19th, 2019, 10:25 am

Jessica and her family are overwhelmed by your love, kindness, and generosity.

If you are interested in attending the memorial and celebration of life, please see the details below:

Memorial: Friday, June 21 at 12:30pm
1 Eagle Road
Alameda, CA 94501

Celebration of Life: Friday, June 21 at 3:00pm
1 Broadway
Oakland, CA 94607

IMPORTANT!! Please note that the family has asked that people dress casual. If you are a Coast Guard, you may come in uniform, but otherwise, Robert's wishes (and the family's wishes) were for people to dress casual (board shorts, flip flops, sun dresses, etc). Suits are not necessary.

ALSO IMPORTANT!! Please DO NOT wear spearfishing clothing or anything with spearfishing paraphernalia. The family does want you to share stories at the celebration of life, but they don't want to see spearfishing logos or images at this time.

Please fill out this Google form so we have your contact information and can update you with details: https://forms.gle/ZcJTeSChGB56grSV7

Here is a link to the Facebook event where we will post updates as well:
https://www.facebook.com/events/2010046815768760/?ti=ia

Thank you again.

Help spread the word!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric
Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
TheKeeneroo
spearo

Postby Karma Trees » June 23rd, 2019, 6:41 am

Any word yet on what happened..?
This is so sad
blakeschilling@gmail
Karma Trees
spearo

Postby Behslayer » June 29th, 2019, 11:00 am

Any update on this? It is important to understand what happens especially when an experienced diver passes away while spearfishing. Every one of us is possibly doing the exact same thing and if we can recognize even one small detail it can make even one person aware. What happened?
Behslayer
kook

Postby BigJim » July 11th, 2019, 8:37 am

Behslayer wrote:Any update on this? It is important to understand what happens especially when an experienced diver passes away while spearfishing. Every one of us is possibly doing the exact same thing and if we can recognize even one small detail it can make even one person aware. What happened?

I did a post on the Monterey Bay Tritons forum asking if they planned on sharing more details of what happened...if I hear anything back I will share on here....I was not on this trip and have only heard second/third/fourth hand information but no actual details...

Rob was also a member of the NorCal Kayak Angler (NCKA) community, and won our Diver Of The Year comp back in 2016...

I help the NCKA community out with donations from our "Pay It Forward" fund, and while we don't have a lot of $$ in our account right now we still wanted to do what we could to help out Rob's widow and daughters so we sent them a $750 donation to the GoFundMe.

Thank you to everyone who has sent well wishes and prayers to Rob and his family... :'(

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
prick

Postby Logan » July 11th, 2019, 3:24 pm

Thanks Jim, I'm sure that generous donation is a big help. That picture of Rob with his daughter highlights what a tragedy this is and really hits close to home, so sad.
Logan
spearo

Postby chris oak » July 11th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Thanks Jim, anything we can learn about this to prevent other tragedies would be great for the community. I've heard rumors but nothing solid and herd someone was going to give the full story soon.
chris oak
Enforcer

Return to California & Baja