fish sausages

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

fish sausages

Postby chris oak » December 1st, 2019, 7:22 pm

out of curiosity has anyone ever made fish sausages? I'm watching that meat eater tv show and he was making venison sausages and it got me thinking. Have any of you guys ever made fish sausage? I've been reading up online and usually you have to mix it with pork or beef but I came across one that used shrimp. I'm thinking lobster and fish might work?
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: fish sausages

Postby Alex Ray » December 2nd, 2019, 8:45 pm

Steven Rinella is rad and Meat Eater makes me hungry for meat (obv) and wide-open spaces.

I’ve always wondered the same thing about fish sausages. Curious if anyone chimes in as having tried it.
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
sea slayer

Postby NaClAddict » December 3rd, 2019, 12:11 pm

I know CoreyF made some pretty good WSB sausage a while back. Don’t know what he put in the filler.
NaClAddict
kook

Postby dariian » December 4th, 2019, 12:23 pm

Tommy from Catalina offshore has made Opah sausage (I think). This is the closest I can find on his site http://catalinaop.com/recipe/opah-abductor-chorizo/
dariian
spearo

Postby Eric S. » December 7th, 2019, 9:34 pm

I found a recipe for shrimp, lobster and leek sausage in Michael Ruhlman’s book Charcuterie.
You purée shrimp or fish, cream and egg whites together to make the basis of the sausage. A “forcemeat”, similar to a hotdog consistency. Then have small chunk lobster and leeks suspended in the purée. Seasoned with salt, white pepper and fresh herbs.

I suppose you could also do a sort of Boudin. Using cooked rice for the binder/medium.

He also recommends sheep casings. Being smaller and more delicate than traditional hog casings. Again, a casing more like a hotdog has.

Have eaten my share of fish cakes and fish balls.
Some good and some completely without flavor.
But never tried an actual fish sausage.

Seems like a small batch kinda recipe. Maybe too much trouble for most situations. Given all the effort of stuffing the casings. But cool idea. Maybe a special occasion deal if you could nail down a good recipe.
Eric S.
spearo

Postby chris oak » December 8th, 2019, 12:01 pm

Come seabass season if I get lucky I'm def going to try it, I think it's doable.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Eric S. » December 8th, 2019, 2:07 pm

chris oak wrote:Come seabass season if I get lucky I'm def going to try it, I think it's doable.

I’m no expert, my only advice is make sure you cook up a bit of your sausage to test the flavor Before you stuff it into the casing.
Made that mistake once.
Eric S.
spearo

Postby Eric S. » December 8th, 2019, 2:18 pm

His recipe calls for;
1 lb of rock shrimp/ fish
1 large egg white
1.5 cups heavy cream
2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
Mix in food processor, then fold in lobster, leeks and herbs before stuffing.

Here is a recipe where they use plastic wrap as the “casing”. Twisting it into a log before poaching.
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/26363 ... d-sausage/
Eric S.
spearo

Postby db1 » December 20th, 2019, 9:47 am

I've done smoked wsb sausages. They were great.

As you've mentioned, I used some pureed shrimp as a stabilizer and coconut cream for fat. I had leeks, onion, salt and pepper... and i think as I remember I used some breadcrumbs too. It was actually really good. The only reason I stopped playing around with it was because I stuffed the casings by hand with a tiny spoon and it was a total pita. I keep meaning to get some sort of funnel or something to stuff them...

Let me know how yours goes and what you use to stuff them.
db1
prick

Postby kon » December 20th, 2019, 10:23 pm

We recently bought a meat grinder and have used it to make deer, elk and bear sausage. We add red wine, a little worcestershire, spices and garlic, and put it through the grinder twice to get it mixed well. We then stuff casings using the sausage maker attachment and they come out perfect. It helps to have two people when doing it, one to push the meat through and another to hold the casing and cut/tie it off when done. We bought ours for $150 on Amazon, haven't had an issue with it yet. We also don't add any extra fat. We grill the venison/elk sausage medium rare and they're delicious, the red wine keeps them moist. And fish sausage sounds interesting, we'll try it!

kon
polespearo

Postby Behslayer » December 21st, 2019, 12:46 am

In Indonesia they use Bannana Leaf stuffed with Fish and spices to make something called Pepes. Depending on whether you use 1 wrap or two wraps of bannana leaf and the flame, the result is more charred or steamed.

Fish Fillet cut into small pieces
Onion or Shallot
Garlic minced
Ginger Minced
Coconut grated
Salt
Lemon Grass or Kaffir Lime Leaf or Basil
For some reason Tomato really adds something to this.
Chillis
Sometimes we also put in some pumpkin
Coconut Milk

Completely Delicious.

You could look up some recipes for Pepes Ikan. The way my wife like to make is very traditional, adding turmeric, candlenut, Kaffir Lime leaves, Coconut Sugar, etc.

I attached a picture. This is really my favorite dish. This is what we had for Thanksgiving. The best fish for this is a White fish like a Snapper. On the East Coast we would make it a lot with Cod, Fluke, Flounder, ova here, this is very good with fillets of Mu. But any fish will be good. Another way we make this which is Very delicious is with Squid or Octopus.

You roll up in Bannana leaf and then pin the edges with little pieces of bamboo. However.. another way to make this is using Parchment paper or would guess, sausage casings. For Bananna Leaves we cook on the grill, I like the added flavor of char. Some people will steam. If we are using Parchment paper, we wrap em up and then place those onto a cooking tray and bake in the oven. Reallllllllly good.

Found a video for you which shows traditional Balinese way of making. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-8t6T4-srI
Attachments
Behslayer
prick

Postby chris oak » December 24th, 2019, 10:57 am

I'm pretty sure I nailed down a recipe, it's online but Im mentally switching ingredients that I like. After the new years I'll give it a shot, I'm pretty sure it will be good and if so I'll post it up. It will be a seafood sausage with white seabass and lobster as the base ingredients.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Captn Ron » January 3rd, 2020, 9:50 am

That sounds great Chris, I'll check back to see how it goes. Now to find one of those ingredients :)
i swim in circles alot
Captn Ron
spearo

Postby TheKeeneroo » January 15th, 2020, 9:48 am

I just bought a meat grinder attachment for my kitchen aid yesterday (specifically to make fish sausage and limpet meat balls), then come to the forum today and see this! I'll keep you posted on how the fish sausage comes out.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric
Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
TheKeeneroo
spearo

Postby chris oak » January 17th, 2020, 5:10 pm

I shot some goats and grabbed a few bugs this week on a much needed day off and almost have a recipe down. I'm leery of the sheephead cuz of the smell/flavor and am thinking of cutting it with some bacon, for sure there will be a lot of sauteed onion in it. A lot of recipes call for fresh parsley and I'm also not sure if the dried stuff will cut it, I usually try to keep my recipes simple with things that I normally stock in my fridge or kitchen. A couple of unsure spots are using garlic and brown sugar on a normal sausage, my kid loves teriyaki flavor and I'm thinking of maybe trying to make a teriyaki sausage link. I think maybe I'll try two versions, one teriyaki and one without soy and parsley.

I'll have a report up soon for the last couple of dives I did this week.
chris oak
Enforcer

Return to California & Baja