Tampa Bay - Recommendations

East coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

Tampa Bay - Recommendations

Postby daveheinrich3 » May 14th, 2020, 6:40 pm

Hey guys - I am going to visit my girlfriend's family in Tampa Bay in early June and am going to get some diving in. I'll have access to a boat and will probably take it out to Egmont key for a day, but since I don't know the area, I am also considering doing a charter for one of the days so I am sure to get on some fish. I know there are all sorts of target species down there like cobia, kingfish, grouper, hogfish but not really sure what is best to go after this time of year. Any recommendations and advice for charters, target species, licenses, sportube shipping would be greatly appreciated!
daveheinrich3
polespearo

Re: Tampa Bay - Recommendations

Postby Bill McIntyre » May 14th, 2020, 7:35 pm

I can offer zero current advise on Tampa bay but I'm curious why you mentioned Egmont Key. My first scuba dive ever was when I jumped off my fathers boat in about 25 feet of water at Egmont in 1954. There was a pilot station on the island where the pilots who guided big ships up the bay hung out waiting for ships. There was an old wooden wreck of some kind right off the pilot station but I suppose it my be long gone by now.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby daveheinrich3 » May 15th, 2020, 6:37 am

Bill McIntyre wrote:I can offer zero current advise on Tampa bay but I'm curious why you mentioned Egmont Key. My first scuba dive ever was when I jumped off my fathers boat in about 25 feet of water at Egmont in 1954. There was a pilot station on the island where the pilots who guided big ships up the bay hung out waiting for ships. There was an old wooden wreck of some kind right off the pilot station but I suppose it my be long gone by now.

My girlfriend's family like to go out there boating and apparently there are a few artificial reefs in the area now that are good fishing areas. I'll ask about the wreck and if it's still there I'll snap you some pics
daveheinrich3
polespearo

Postby chris oak » May 15th, 2020, 10:00 am

You want to hit up neptonics, they run a shop in Tampa or close to it and probably run charters as well. The shop is a little small because all the inventory is upstairs, it's one of their shipping hubs. They do accept customers of course but call ahead of time to make sure the guys are in the shop.

If you are killing time, the Aquarium there is pretty cool but I don't know if they are open. Within walking distance, there are a ton of brewerys and eateries. I was there for a conference and man I loved it.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby daveheinrich3 » May 18th, 2020, 1:08 pm

chris oak wrote:You want to hit up neptonics, they run a shop in Tampa or close to it and probably run charters as well. The shop is a little small because all the inventory is upstairs, it's one of their shipping hubs. They do accept customers of course but call ahead of time to make sure the guys are in the shop.

If you are killing time, the Aquarium there is pretty cool but I don't know if they are open. Within walking distance, there are a ton of brewerys and eateries. I was there for a conference and man I loved it.

Awesome, this is great input! I'll definitely check out Neptonics and see what they're up to. Cheers!
daveheinrich3
polespearo

Postby STaylor » June 19th, 2020, 7:39 am

2 Shea's does spearfishing charters (freedive and scuba). Best fish to target in the summer are gag grouper, snapper and hogfish. You may get lucky finding a cobia but they migrate through here in the spring.
STaylor
noob

Return to Florida