Vintage guns

From stories about vintage gear to stories of days gone by, this is where we all came from.

Vintage guns

Postby Donzi Paul » August 4th, 2013, 8:15 pm

Here are a couple Cressi spring guns once owned by Big Jim Christiansen to start the vintage gun section.
I will be adding more Mon night.

Cheers, Don
Attachments
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Re: Vintage guns

Postby Donzi Paul » August 16th, 2013, 10:03 pm

Some of my early Nemrods in the dive den.

Cheers, Don
Attachments
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Hookin » August 17th, 2013, 11:30 am

Very Cool Don. I remember back in Hawaii some of the locals would use something similar to the one on the bottom.
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby North Star » August 17th, 2013, 1:38 pm

When I first started spearfishing at 14 I used a yellow handled spring gun like the one fourth from the bottom. Very cool collection.
Max

nec timor nec temeritas (neither fear nor foolhardiness.)
North Star
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » August 17th, 2013, 2:14 pm

North Star wrote:When I first started spearfishing at 14 I used a yellow handled spring gun like the one fourth from the bottom. Very cool collection.

Those are all pneumatics except the bottom rubber powered sling. I will post them with names and close up shots later.

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby North Star » August 17th, 2013, 4:18 pm

Donzi Paul wrote:
North Star wrote:When I first started spearfishing at 14 I used a yellow handled spring gun like the one fourth from the bottom. Very cool collection.

Those are all pneumatics except the bottom rubber powered sling. I will post them with names and close up shots later.

Cheers, Don

I do not know what the name of the gun I shot was - it just looked like the yellow handled one, with a blue barrel. Hadn't even thought about it for 40+ years until I saw your photo. Maybe it was a pneumatic, but that was a lot of years ago, and it seems that I recall it was a spring gun. I had rented it from a dive shop in Yuba City, CA
Max

nec timor nec temeritas (neither fear nor foolhardiness.)
North Star
spearo

Postby thecrab87 » October 27th, 2013, 9:28 am

Love the Nemrods!

Here's my father's (and therefore vintage :D ) handmade teak gun. It freeshafted a three-prong spear.
Attachments
Willie "the crab" Mahin
Maui, Hawaii
thecrab87
polespearo

Postby Donzi Paul » October 27th, 2013, 11:25 am

thecrab87 wrote:Love the Nemrods!

Here's my father's (and therefore vintage :D ) handmade teak gun. It freeshafted a three-prong spear.

Aloha Willie, I am so happy to see your post here.... that you have taken care to save, preserve and honor your fathers beautiful speargun. So much of our history and the tools of our tribe are lost, discarded or find their way to a yard sale table when a wife cleans out the dive garage.
I would love to hear the story of how the gun came to be and some of the fish he took with it.
Mahalo, Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Duke Brownfield » November 11th, 2013, 5:17 am

Hello Paul,
I have a friend who has a Potts gun made for him in "84". He has lost the original slip tip for the Potts shaft and needs one. Do you in all of your travels know where he able to purchase one?
Thank you for your time,
D
Duke Brownfield
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » November 11th, 2013, 9:28 am

Duke Brownfield wrote:Hello Paul,
I have a friend who has a Potts gun made for him in "84". He has lost the original slip tip for the Potts shaft and needs one. Do you in all of your travels know where he able to purchase one?
Thank you for your time,
D

Duke, I do not know of any for sale. At one time in the early 80's I had 12....6 were lost when my boat was burglarized in 1995, a couple torn off when I first used tuna cord on the tip, and now I'm down to just 2. I watched him make them at his shop a couple times from ground drill stock and SS. It was a great and inexpensive slip tip that myself and my dive partner Mark Lamont (ScubaPro) used with success.Jay Riffe later copied it and called the ''Ice
Pick'' however with the wrong degree of taper on the adapter.(this was soon corrected by him when a few stuck).

I will be happy to loan one of my 2 originals to Mori, Dean, or Sturgill Company to fab a clone if he can't find one for sale. I have a double barb and single barb tip. The adapter in this image was modified by me by machining a groove behind the hole to allow the line to lie in with better hydrodynamics and penetration, one of the barbs is bent out slightly from a grouper skull.
Cheers, Don
Attachments
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Duke Brownfield » November 11th, 2013, 2:37 pm

Paul,
Thanks for the reply. I thought it would be a problem finding one but I just wanted to throw it out there. To be honest it may be easier for Mori to just take a blank shaft, machine the notch to fit a Potts trigger mech and then use one of his adapters & tips but I would like to see what he says about the problems & expense for both ways. I will try and contact Mori-see what he says and then go from there. I will be up in the Ventura area next week so I will try and get in touch with him then. Like I said this for another person & I am just the go-between. If Mori will need one of the tips for a pattern I will let him know you have one and then I can let you know.
Thanks you once again,
D
Duke Brownfield
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » November 11th, 2013, 3:18 pm

Duke Brownfield wrote:Paul,
Thanks for the reply. I thought it would be a problem finding one but I just wanted to throw it out there. To be honest it may be easier for Mori to just take a blank shaft, machine the notch to fit a Potts trigger mech and then use one of his adapters & tips but I would like to see what he says about the problems & expense for both ways. I will try and contact Mori-see what he says and then go from there. I will be up in the Ventura area next week so I will try and get in touch with him then. Like I said this for another person & I am just the go-between. If Mori will need one of the tips for a pattern I will let him know you have one and then I can let you know.
Thanks you once again,
D

I would use the Mori sliptip and shaft unless I was restoring a vintage Potts to original condition. One must remember the Potts was a 12 dollar tip made in his garage. Mori's is art.....but a few more bucks. ;)

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Rob102 » December 7th, 2013, 7:44 pm

Here is a Johnson Submarine Gun. It fires a spear, propelled by a cartridge like a pistol blank. No longer legal in California.

Rob102
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » December 7th, 2013, 8:24 pm

Two SMG doubles for '' Dive den protection'' I would never kill a fish with one.
I used to carry one in the cabin of my boat.
Cheers, Don
Attachments
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Donzi Paul » December 7th, 2013, 8:36 pm

Norbert Ebeling personal roller gun 1959. He was the USA patent holder.

Cheers, Don
Attachments
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Bill McIntyre » December 7th, 2013, 8:46 pm

I have a feeling that my vintage guns wouldn't count for much with Sam and some of you other guys since they were not made by someone on the West Coast, and they were mass-produced. But anyway-
Attachments
A Champion Arbalete in the early 50s, with a Penn Senator filled with cable and attached with hose clamps. I have a vintage haircut anyway.
From the mid-50s. I'm holding a Cressi spring gun- I think it was called a Cernia- and my girlfriend is holding a Champion Arbalete.
and a Swimmaster Spearfisherman that I bought in 1961. This was the line that went through a few owners before becoming JBL.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Donzi Paul » December 7th, 2013, 9:00 pm

Great looking guns Bill I have those if you want to see how you would do with one this spring.
Great looking girl, that's a keeper. ;)

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Donzi Paul » December 7th, 2013, 9:09 pm

This is one of my favorite Addict guns. The wood is Mahogany and Beech with marine varnish finish. Cressi 3 wing head (like the Sampson but soft SS and not detachable).

Cheers, Don
Attachments
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby abachar » December 8th, 2013, 8:25 am

This is a great thread Don. I've seen most of your collection, but will be checking this thread often. I'm actually working on a pinup girl now who's leaning on a gun. Trouble is I'm not sure what gun to use and finding references (I lost all the photos I took at your place) has been tough. Can you recommend and share pics of a couple of your favorites. Consider a gun that would look good next to the likes of a "Rosie the Riveter" type gal. No nonsense, get the job done type of gun.
abachar
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » December 8th, 2013, 9:06 am

abachar wrote:This is a great thread Don. I've seen most of your collection, but will be checking this thread often. I'm actually working on a pinup girl now who's leaning on a gun. Trouble is I'm not sure what gun to use and finding references (I lost all the photos I took at your place) has been tough. Can you recommend and share pics of a couple of your favorites. Consider a gun that would look good next to the likes of a "Rosie the Riveter" type gal. No nonsense, get the job done type of gun.

Amadeo, you only saw 25% of them as I didn't have room at my little pad at the time. I have the perfect ''Rosie'' gun in mind. She traded a few feels and kiss's behind the metal shop to get it made it the USA ! :)

Any gun I have will always be available to you for a project and when I slow down enough to do a Coffee table book, I'll be keeping your fine art skills in mind.

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby abachar » December 8th, 2013, 9:11 am

Well if that was only 25% then your collection must be staggering. Send me a pic of that gun when you get a chance. ono@abachar.com I'll make sure you get a nice giclee on canvas of the finished product.
abachar
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » December 8th, 2013, 11:03 am

abachar wrote:Well if that was only 25% then your collection must be staggering. Send me a pic of that gun when you get a chance. ono@abachar.com I'll make sure you get a nice giclee on canvas of the finished product.

Well it's not mine anymore as my boy has it in trust, I'll post the Pin Up guns I have in mind here so the clan can see them, the one you pick can then be available to you for any images. I'm doing Irish dinner today and will try to post the first candidate this evening.

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Bill McIntyre » December 8th, 2013, 11:07 am

Don, your collection must be one of the best in the world.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Donzi Paul » December 8th, 2013, 11:10 am

Made in the USA..
One of only 3 ''Jackpot'' reels I have ever touched, Early Jack Prodanovich with line pack and Stem Point tip.

Cheers, Don
I post another Mon night.
Attachments
Last edited by Donzi Paul on December 8th, 2013, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby abachar » December 8th, 2013, 12:28 pm

I really appreciate that Don. Here's the gal for inspiration. The gun there now is just a placeholder. so I'll exchange it with a more vintage model. Pick a few that you think will fit.
Attachments
abachar
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » December 8th, 2013, 5:52 pm

Large compound roller built in the machine shop on board a aircraft carrier during the Koren war. The flopper wing is fab'ed from a cockpit flame out id plate.Para cord shooting line.

Cheers, Don
Attachments
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby dustyyoungblood » December 10th, 2013, 9:33 am

Donzi Paul wrote:Norbert Ebeling personal roller gun 1959. He was the USA patent holder.

Cheers, Don

Amazing how "Hot" Roller guns are all the sudden. I am asked once a week if I have any rollers for sale....
dustyyoungblood
Sturgill spearfishing

Postby abachar » December 10th, 2013, 10:16 am

Donzi Paul wrote:Large compound roller built in the machine shop on board a aircraft carrier during the Koren war. The flopper wing is fab'ed from a cockpit flame out id plate.Para cord shooting line.

Cheers, Don

That gun is perfect!!! Thanks!
abachar
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » December 11th, 2013, 3:47 pm

abachar wrote:
Donzi Paul wrote:Large compound roller built in the machine shop on board a aircraft carrier during the Koren war. The flopper wing is fab'ed from a cockpit flame out id plate.Para cord shooting line.

Cheers, Don

That gun is perfect!!! Thanks!

I'm your Huckleberry :D I'ii shoot some close ups in the sun this weekend, or you can borrow it for a month.
I'll find some vintage rubber for it.
Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby dustyyoungblood » December 12th, 2013, 6:50 pm

I can imagine a finely printed and bound coffee table book of these guns. Can you image how fun that would be to flip through?
dustyyoungblood
Sturgill spearfishing

Postby Tin Man » December 12th, 2013, 8:02 pm

dustyyoungblood wrote:I can imagine a finely printed and bound coffee table book of these guns. Can you image how fun that would be to flip through?

Definately sign me up for one . . .
Tin Man
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » December 12th, 2013, 10:00 pm

You guys on are on the list, great seeing ya here Tin.
Cheers,Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby abachar » December 13th, 2013, 6:59 pm

dustyyoungblood wrote:I can imagine a finely printed and bound coffee table book of these guns. Can you image how fun that would be to flip through?

Don, I'll design the book for free if we can studio shoot your collection. I'd be happy to look into something like kikstarter to get the cost of production paid by tribe donations. I think it would be a really cool way to capture your collection. Perhaps a photo essay in Spearing as a test run on a smaller scale? Sorry for the random thought. Just sounds cool to me.
abachar
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » December 13th, 2013, 7:48 pm

The name will be: Guns of the Legends

Big Jim Christiansen
Jack Prodanvoch
Charlie Sturgill
Herb Sampson
Mel Clark
Dick Jappe
Dick Bonin past Pres of Scuba Pro ... very much alive and well.
Paul Hoss

to be continued.

Don
Last edited by Donzi Paul on December 13th, 2013, 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby abachar » December 13th, 2013, 8:02 pm

Donzi Paul wrote:The name will be: Guns of the Legends

I'm in.
abachar
spearo

Postby Spearing Magazine » December 14th, 2013, 6:29 am

That would be so cool!
Spearing Magazine
spearo

Postby dustyyoungblood » January 10th, 2014, 10:26 am

deleted
Last edited by dustyyoungblood on January 13th, 2014, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dustyyoungblood
Sturgill spearfishing

Postby dustyyoungblood » January 11th, 2014, 10:32 am

deleted
Last edited by dustyyoungblood on January 13th, 2014, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dustyyoungblood
Sturgill spearfishing

Postby castronova » February 4th, 2014, 7:14 pm

Count me in on this coffee table book. Really neat stuff here.

Thanks for sharing.
castronova
prick

Florida Navy Diver 1953 Spearguns

Postby Donzi Paul » May 2nd, 2016, 1:23 pm

This pair of Cyprus wood spearguns were made in 1953 by US Navy diver Gail Wrede.Gail later became a water squadron rescue diver then on to dock building until he passed. The larger gun is 5' 6'', both have the same pin extension from the shaft tails. His friend Mick was nice enough to point me in their direction.
Attachments
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Donzi Paul » May 5th, 2016, 6:32 pm

Here are 3 Mordem Hydrodynamic guns once imported by Scuba Pro, they use compressed air and pumped water to propel the shaft, the one with the very rare holster has been cut away to show the trigger mech, if one looks closely you can see the O-rings on the shaft tail. Pumping the shaft into the barrel increases the power. These guns are in my son Dillon's collection and are headed for Spear America in Irvine for display along with a few others.

Cheers, Don
Attachments
Last edited by Donzi Paul on May 5th, 2016, 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Donzi Paul » May 5th, 2016, 6:37 pm

Double Barrel SMG. This gun uses different power nail driver cartridges for power. A great gun for the cabin of a boat. :D
You can also see this one at Spear America in Irvine.

Cheers, Don
Attachments
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby John Hughes » May 30th, 2016, 1:38 pm

I've got a buddy in SD who grew up diving with Jack. He's got a gun made by Jack he's looking to get rid of. The gun has never seen the water. All I got was some crappy cell phone pictures of it, but it's in great shape. He added a float system to it which is what you're seeing on the barrel of the gun. The system comes right off. Somebody would probably score if they are looking to add a Prodonovich gun to their collection. He said he'd cough up this signed photo from Jack with the deal.

If anybody is interested I can give you his home phone number. He's so old school he still dives with his Jack guns and doesn't do cell phones :) The last photo is him and his "current" gun.

John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Donzi Paul » May 31st, 2016, 6:32 am

If my son didn't all ready have a few Jack guns I'd be interested in this fine piece of skin diving history. Someone should buy this holly grail of spearguns.

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Return to Freediving History