Mark 3 FRV

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Mark 3 FRV

Postby Bill McIntyre » July 17th, 2016, 1:36 pm

Recently I saw a guy wanting to buy an FRV on Spearboard. He was willing to pay a good price for my Mark 2S, so I sold it to him and paid a bit more for the latest version. Now I have owned each version since the original that used a compressed air bottle that had to be filled from a 3000 psi scuba tank. They keep getting better ands better. Here are the main differences I've noticed between the Mark 2S and the Mark 3.

The fabric cover over the inflation bags seems more slippery. I don't know if that really means less drag, but it can't hurt.

The previous versions used two 38 gram CO2 cylinders while the new one uses a single 60 gram cylinder. This reduces the bulk and weight a bit as well as saving a bit of time when you are removing and installing the cylinders after each day of diving.

And here is what is probably the most significant difference. Previous versions of the vest used a rechargeable battery, which seemed like a good idea since you never had to buy new batteries. But to recharge the battery, you had to remove a threaded plug to insert the AC charger cord. And then you had to remember to replace the plug. If you didn't, the electronics flooded with salt water and ruined the FRV. There was no fixing it. Apparently quite a few people forgot to replace the plug, and I even know one of them. :)

The new version uses three disposable batteries. I think the manual says that they are good for about 30 eight-hour days of diving. If you were on a trip, you wouldn't have to remember to bring your charger or find an AC outlet. Just install your spare batteries. And best of all, the way you turn on the vest is to tighten the cap that holds the batteries in. Unless you forget to turn the vest on before diving, this should make it impossible to flood the battery compartment.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Re: Mark 3 FRV

Postby Donzi Paul » July 17th, 2016, 7:09 pm

Thank you Bill, great info.

Cheers, Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Bill McIntyre » July 21st, 2016, 11:22 am

While I was getting ready to spear that big tuna a couple of days ago, it occurred to me that I left out one significant change in the new version of the vests. Turning the cocking knob to compress the spring in the previous versions was a real challenge, and most of the time I would use the spanner wrench provided. Turning the knob in the new vest is a piece of cake. If you have used the older versions, you will really notice the difference.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bill McIntyre » July 21st, 2016, 6:43 pm

Well hell! Terry says that if you wear an FRV you'll get a 240 pounder.
Attachments
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Schwaman » July 22nd, 2016, 2:22 am

Nice to hear the constant improvements.
I had my mark 2 upgraded to 2S (i think?) by Terry 1.5 years ago and it was a big improvement already. Also talked with thim about the turning knob and it's great to see that he has an improved solution now.

And congrats to Terry!
Schwaman
spearo

Postby BigJim » August 8th, 2017, 9:25 am

I just got one of these and set it up last night.

Pretty darn easy to set up even for a big dummy like me...

The user manual and videos on the website are super useful, and made setting my depth and time limits a piece of cake.

Very impressed with how it feels and looking forward to putting it through the paces on my next dive...I've worn my buddy's while diving for halibut and barely noticed it was on, but have never used it hole hunting etc so looking forward to seeing how it feels on more typical NorCal dives.

Now I just need to remember to clean it and take care of it!!

;)

:greetings-wavingyellow:

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 8th, 2017, 3:21 pm

Good move Jim.

You do need to take care of it. On those nights when I throw every thing else in the garage and promise to clean it in the morning I do take a few minutes to dunk the mechanism in the desalt solution, but it's worth it for the peace of mind.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby dctrjayyy » August 10th, 2017, 12:37 pm

the mark 3 is awesome and you cant beat the new price. unfortunately, it does not include 240lb bft. i've checked.
dctrjayyy
polespearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 10th, 2017, 4:50 pm

And that's a bummer.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Return to Guns & Gear