Gluing Blades into Footpockets

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Gluing Blades into Footpockets

Postby coreyf » May 9th, 2017, 8:38 am

I'm thinking about changing my current stingray pockets out for Pathos. I understand that this will require me to glue the blades into the new pockets. Which glue are you all using? Any tips or videos to make the process easier?
coreyf
spearo

Re: Gluing Blades into Footpockets

Postby chris oak » May 9th, 2017, 8:43 am

hey corey let me know if you want to try my pathos/moana set up. I've heard of loctite super glue and 3m 4200. I glued in my rails with superglue and they pop of every once in a while but thats because I'm running on rocks trying not to get killed in the swell.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby castronova » May 9th, 2017, 9:54 am

I used loctite super glue, 6 small all purpose clamps and some rubber bands. Put rubber bands tight down thetendons in like 3 locations to make sure they're all the way in then clamped 3 or 4 places down each side and let them dry for an hour or so. Did a pair of moana euro and DiveR like this and they've been perfect.
castronova
prick

Postby mori » May 9th, 2017, 11:05 pm

Most super-glues are too brittle to be used on fins. Nothing works better than Tire Glue Cyanoacrylate, which has some flexiblility. It comes with a length of the micro- application tube to make applying the glue on fins easy. You can probably glue about 10 pairs of fins with one bottle of this $10 glue.

If you need a bottle, gimme a call.

Mori
(310) 628-8082
mori
Mori

Postby John Hughes » May 11th, 2017, 6:25 pm

mori wrote:Most super-glues are too brittle to be used on fins. Nothing works better than Tire Glue Cyanoacrylate, which has some flexiblility. It comes with a length of the micro- application tube to make applying the glue on fins easy. You can probably glue about 10 pairs of fins with one bottle of this $10 glue.

If you need a bottle, gimme a call.

Mori
(310) 628-8082

That glue is the real deal. Since I got a bottle from Mori I've been using it on everything and that stuff rules. You also get about 4-5 times the amount as a bottle of that loctite and you can actually re-use the bottle after the first use unlike the super glue. Plus, it's cheap as Oak :)
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby mori » May 11th, 2017, 7:54 pm

The cool thing about this glue is the micro application tube. It makes assembling your fins and pockets effortless.

1. To glue fin blades to a footpocket, clean off all the mold release compound from the footpocket with degreaser and solvent and assemble your fins with masking tape. ( I use 409 or LA's best degreaser and Hexane for solvent).

2. Use something to prop the fins in a vertical position, so the glue doesn't run and drip onto the blade. ( I use a spring clamp)

3. Use a short piece of the micro tube on the glue bottle so you can apply micro amounts of glue. The glue is so thin that it will seep into the area between the blade and footpocket even it is already assembled. (You can't do that with 4200 or 5200)

4. After its dry and you feel confident that the glue won't drip, do the other side.

5. Remove the tape and go over the areas that you missed where the tape used to be.

6. I also glue the area around where your toes protrude out of the footpocket and clamp with a couple of the large spring clamps. I also glue the underside of the fins as well.

DONE !!

Masking Tape and Clamp

Micro Application Tube
mori
Mori

Postby chris oak » May 11th, 2017, 8:17 pm

Thanks for the excellent write up Mori! Is that tire glue similar to the higher grade of Cyanoacrylate? I heard that the higher grades are distilled more pure hence the better bond.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby mori » May 11th, 2017, 9:24 pm

Not exactly sure what type of cyanoacrylate this is. It was something that specially formulated to glue rubber tires on the RC nitro cars.

Unlike most superglues, it has a wee bit of flexibility so the bond doesn't crack like the other superglues when flexed.

I use it to glue fin blades to footpockets and rubber recoil pads on the ends of spearguns. I have also repaired torn footpockets with this glue. I put a drop of it on the ends of wetsuit and booties stitching to keep it from unravelling. I use it for almost every kind of repair. I also use it to glue myself together when I cut myself. It the best glue, in my opinion, to glue rubber. I have a piece of speargun band material that I glued together and you can stretch the crap out of it and it will not break.
mori
Mori

Postby coreyf » May 12th, 2017, 12:56 pm

chris oak wrote:Thanks for the excellent write up Mori! Is that tire glue similar to the higher grade of Cyanoacrylate? I heard that the higher grades are distilled more pure hence the better bond.

CA is typically very brittle, sounds like this stuff has some pliability to it.

Thanks Mori.
coreyf
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » July 28th, 2017, 1:42 pm

Yesterday I got crack in my Pathos foot pocket and remembered this thread, so I tried the tire glue on it. Do you think it will hold?
Attachments
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby kavachi » July 28th, 2017, 11:05 pm

wishful thinking there I reckon Bill ;)

Surprised the tendon parted before the blade did. the footpockets dont look perished or degraded. Hard or Soft version Pathos?
kavachi
polespearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » July 29th, 2017, 7:21 am

I didn't know that there were two versions but they feel pretty soft to me. What's funny is that I went back in the water after noticing the crack and I couldn't feel any difference in performance.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bill McIntyre » July 29th, 2017, 11:24 am

Does anyone know which version of the Pathos pocket Moana was providing with their blades two or three years ago?

For what its worth, this morning I bent the tendon pretty hard with my hands and the glue held. I'll have to see how it holds up to my powerful stroke.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby mori » July 29th, 2017, 2:09 pm

Bill, That glue should work great repairing torn footpockets. That glue is amazing. I've repaired several footpockets in both rubber and thermoplastic versions with excellent results. Just make sure you clean the areas being glued with solvent before you glue them. I use hexane as a solvent, as hexane is not so strong that it attacks the thermoplastic or rubber.

I started selling the complete glue kit at my shop. If you are installing blades onto new pockets, I recommend you buy the complete glue kit, which includes four of the large red elastic bands to hold the footpockets to the blades. The elastic bands work better than the tape.

It makes assembling your fins a breeze.

Mori

Tire Glue Kit
mori
Mori

Postby Bill McIntyre » July 29th, 2017, 2:25 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Mori. I glued the crack yesterday so it's too late for the solvent but if it comes apart I'll use the solvent next time.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby kavachi » July 29th, 2017, 8:11 pm

cant find Permabond 735 this side of the Pacific, but can find BSI IC-2000 which seems to be another rubberised CA glue. anyone tried for glueing blades in?
kavachi
polespearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 3rd, 2017, 2:39 pm

I guess my awesome fin stroke is just too powerful. The glue didn't last through the second kelp bed.

My dive buddy today thinks he many have a Pathos pocket in that size with a broken blade and he'll send it to me. Is there any trick to getting the blade out of the pocket?
Attachments
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby John Hughes » August 5th, 2017, 7:15 am

Bill, try using the solvent on that crack first and then the Mori glue. I would be real surprised if it didn't hold. I haven't been able to break anything yet with that glue and my friends and I have been trying as hard as we can. That stuff is amazing.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 5th, 2017, 8:22 am

Too late John. I just removed the blade from the pocket. Maybe the solvent would have helped, but this crack is pretty big. A friend has a spare pocket in my size and is mailing it to me so I'll try putting the blade in that pocket. Where do you get that hexane solvent?

I'm going to be in LA Tuesday through Thursday so maybe I'll have a chance to go by Mori's place and pick up that kit. I'm overdue to see his new place anyway. What's his address?
Attachments
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby John Hughes » August 5th, 2017, 1:42 pm

Mori

310-628-8082

21422 Alameda
Carson CA

make sure and call first as sometimes he keeps late hours
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Duff » August 10th, 2017, 4:15 pm

Bill,

Maybe it's time for a pair of Euro Fins ;)

Testament to the longevity of the fins, and the newest ones are even better. You want a pair that will be around when you turn 120 years old right :D

~kyle
Kyle Duffy
Duff
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 10th, 2017, 4:30 pm

Kyle, I'm a sucker for new stuff, but I'd have to try a pair of the Euros before spending that much money. As far as the need for longevity in fins goes, I don't even buy ripe bananas any more.

So anyway, I called Mori and found that he wouldn't be able to meet me, but he just mailed me his kit with tire glue and four rubber bands and it was here when I got home this morning. Eric Stewart had sent me a pocket with a broken blade in it, so I removed his bad blade and put my good blade in his pocket. I'm going out tomorrow and will see if I did it right.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Return to Guns & Gear